Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e dual feed

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015 | 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1969x11
Is there a way to dual feed the directs without plugging that feed hole in the case? I was told by a local builder that the plug wasn't necessary...it told him it would cause a leak and he laughed at me. Trans lasted about 2 weeks and burnt the directs and intermediates.
Yes, you can plug the hole in the plate, or plug the center support, or use a Transgo HD2, or some aftermarket valve bodies.
Old 02-07-2015 | 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
Yes, you can plug the hole in the plate, or plug the center support, or use a Transgo HD2, or some aftermarket valve bodies.
I'll have to look and see if he plugged any of the other holes. Thanks for the reply Jak
Old 02-07-2015 | 10:20 AM
Launching!

Awesome thanks for the pics and advice guys. Il probly refrain from turning that section down. Whats the most acceptable way to plug the feed hole?
Old 02-07-2015 | 10:30 AM
Resident Retard

How is that going to help with flow?

Why do you think that's a restriction? Where else in the circuit might there be a restriction? What does cutting that down do to circuit volume?

I know some builders like to do that mod. I avoid it but I'm posting to stir up the technical thinking and stop the monkey see/monkey do reason for mods.
Vince B told me to do that. I trust what he says.

Let me ask you, does it hurt anything? Is there any harm in doing it?
Old 02-07-2015 | 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Vince B told me to do that. I trust what he says.

Let me ask you, does it hurt anything? Is there any harm in doing it?
You're increasing circuit volume (albeit only slightly) after the restriction. So it will take longer to apply clutches and more fluid to release. You're not increasing flow, or balancing oil there.

If you wanted to increase the flow you can drill more and larger feed passages into the drum, through the center support, and there are places in the VB that can use some improvement.
If you are going to cut material out that increases circuit volume, it would be better to do it where it takes away rotating weight, inside the drum in this case.

Typical dual feed is restricted by feeding into one passage, as shown here by the plugged hole. A true dual feed design feeds into both sides so no plugging is necessary.
Old 02-07-2015 | 12:13 PM
Resident Retard

You're increasing circuit volume (albeit only slightly) after the restriction. So it will take longer to apply clutches and more fluid to release. You're not increasing flow, or balancing oil there.

If you wanted to increase the flow you can drill more and larger feed passages into the drum, through the center support, and there are places in the VB that can use some improvement.
If you are going to cut material out that increases circuit volume, it would be better to do it where it takes away rotating weight, inside the drum in this case.

Typical dual feed is restricted by feeding into one passage, as shown here by the plugged hole. A true dual feed design feeds into both sides so no plugging is necessary.
Ok. Nice to know. As i mentioned someone with alot of experience that i trust said that mod was a good thing todo. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-07-2015 | 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Ok. Nice to know. As i mentioned someone with alot of experience that i trust said that mod was a good thing todo. Thanks for your input.
I know Vince. He likely started doing the dual feed mod from conversations we had years ago. I believe they were still using the HD2 kits. It's not really a detrimental mod and one I've done myself in the past. It's just one that IMO is a waste of time. I suspect many builders do it because on the surface it seems like your gaining something and they saw it from a respected shop. I've been into FLT builds and they typically do this. IIRC, RPM does as well.
When you remove the drum seal and the
When you leave the center seal out of the drum, there's plenty of flow to balance the drum, leaving the seal on or off the center support is just redundant.
You could cut material away from the drum seal area and reduce the drums weight but again increases fluid volume. No significant gain either IMO, because once you shift to 3rd, the fluid will replace much of the weight and the weight reduced is on a small diameter, so not as effective.
The following users liked this post:
Samuelrjackson (01-22-2022)
Old 02-09-2015 | 05:43 PM
Launching!

Well not lookin good so far. As a tech I was a little worried seein a wix filter, fresh fluid and a bung welded to the pan.
Attached Thumbnails 4l80e dual feed-1423525217734.jpg   4l80e dual feed-1423525262790.jpg   4l80e dual feed-1423525292192.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015 | 07:09 PM
Resident Retard

I know Vince. He likely started doing the dual feed mod from conversations we had years ago. I believe they were still using the HD2 kits. It's not really a detrimental mod and one I've done myself in the past. It's just one that IMO is a waste of time. I suspect many builders do it because on the surface it seems like your gaining something and they saw it from a respected shop. I've been into FLT builds and they typically do this. IIRC, RPM does as well.
When you remove the drum seal and the
When you leave the center seal out of the drum, there's plenty of flow to balance the drum, leaving the seal on or off the center support is just redundant.
You could cut material away from the drum seal area and reduce the drums weight but again increases fluid volume. No significant gain either IMO, because once you shift to 3rd, the fluid will replace much of the weight and the weight reduced is on a small diameter, so not as effective.
Interesting. I am not a expert nor do i claim to be when it comes to trans building. I am just like many others on this board that like to do things ourselves. Right/wrong i had fun on my first trans build. It has 2.5 years and 40k behind my setup. I was surprised it even drove 10 miles.

I appreciate you posting up things that should be changed/omited for future people that want to tackle a 4l80 build.
Old 02-09-2015 | 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livefast1
Well not lookin good so far. As a tech I was a little worried seein a wix filter, fresh fluid and a bung welded to the pan.
How do the overrun clutches look? All the others?

Quick Reply: 4l80e dual feed