Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ECSB 4WD 4l60E to 4l80E

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8R27
Surely you aren't tired of hearing this, but your write up has been an AMAZING piece of work. I often lose interest in something quickly is the information is presented in less-than-desirable fashion; I just read all 26 pages of this write up front to back without so much as a 'nature' pit-stop And I'm honestly no where close to doing the swap presented, lol. I've only got an 04 4.8 ECSB right now, but when the time comes...would like to do the 6.0/80E swap jointly. Sorry to semi-jack your thread sir...but you did a phenomenal job!!
That is right!! I just started my swap and its done in under 10 hours start to finish! I studied this thread front to back for a month before to try to cover everything and all his measurements were spot on! This is the official 4L80E swap thread now.

sticky anyone??
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8R27
Surely you aren't tired of hearing this, but your write up has been an AMAZING piece of work. I often lose interest in something quickly is the information is presented in less-than-desirable fashion; I just read all 26 pages of this write up front to back without so much as a 'nature' pit-stop And I'm honestly no where close to doing the swap presented, lol. I've only got an 04 4.8 ECSB right now, but when the time comes...would like to do the 6.0/80E swap jointly. Sorry to semi-jack your thread sir...but you did a phenomenal job!!
Thank you for the kind praise. I thoroughly enjoyed doing it. Wish I had the cash to do more major mods and document them.

Originally Posted by lafnlt1
That is right!! I just started my swap and its done in under 10 hours start to finish! I studied this thread front to back for a month before to try to cover everything and all his measurements were spot on! This is the official 4L80E swap thread now.

sticky anyone??
Thanks and glad it helped you.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

could anyone tell me if the 80e is compatable with my dynatech Y pipe (very similar position to the stock Y pipe)?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the Dynatech Y. Cleared fine.

Name:  DSC08187a.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  73.2 KB
Old 03-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Hmm i wonder how much of a difference there is here in the NNBS trucks. My tranny has started slipping at just 12k miles doh
Old 03-08-2009, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

how many trannies you need? lol. great right up. I wish I had the power on the sss to need a 80e!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Yes the circled sensor is where pins 22 and 23 are run to. Pin A (RED/Black) wire goes to pin 22 and Pin B (Blue/White) to Pin 23 of the PCM.

The main harness is going to be gravy. I'll document it when I get there. But dismantle the connector. Move the brown wire to another spot and move the white wire to a location that isn't used in the connector.

I am about to install a 4l80e using a 2001 Harness/Computer, and these are the wires (from the 4l60e) I plan to use for my 2nd VSS:

Blue 79 - White - 3-2 Shift Solenoid Control

Red 42 - Tan/Black - TCC Enable Circuit(only used on 4l60e)

Anyone have any thoughts? Should keep me pretty clean. I think they are wires S&T.

I plan to move U to S
Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ces63ss
how many trannies you need? lol. great right up. I wish I had the power on the sss to need a 80e!
The 2 65e's are now gone. Just a spare 80e sitting there now

Originally Posted by Nooner
I am about to install a 4l80e using a 2001 Harness/Computer, and these are the wires (from the 4l60e) I plan to use for my 2nd VSS:

Blue 79 - White - 3-2 Shift Solenoid Control

Red 42 - Tan/Black - TCC Enable Circuit(only used on 4l60e)

Anyone have any thoughts? Should keep me pretty clean. I think they are wires S&T.

I plan to move U to S
Only concern I have using the existing wires in the main harness for the vss sensor is that the VSS wiring needs to be a twisted pair. Whether absolutely necessary or not I don't know?

Originally Posted by howard quick
Just a note on your speed sensor....apparently the OEM speed sensor wires are a 'twisted pair' for reasons of warding off/blocking interference from other electrical signals within the rest of the wiring loom.
I don't know how important/true that is....but apparently the speed sensors are quite sensitive to interference.
Also....it doesn't matter which wire goes to which of the two pins at the PCM.

EDIT: easy way to make them a twisted pair....tie one end of each wire to something and put the two 'other' ends in the battery drill....pull the trigger. Voila...twisted pair.
I pulled the wires for the speed sensor straight from an old harness that had an 80e in it. Wondered why they were twisted. Good to know it doesn't matter about the polarity.. if it can be screwed up I can do it.

Name:  DSC07491a.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  74.9 KB
Old 03-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

amazing write up, awesome information
Old 03-20-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is great man! I just read the whole thing and I am pretty certain I will be fine with mine in the next couple days!

Quick Reply: ECSB 4WD 4l60E to 4l80E