Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Prototype..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well guys, I have been schooled on the 3" "True duals kit" by Speed Engineering. I can tell you it is very loud. It rattles my rear view mirror it sounds sick. I do recommend getting the tail pipes because at 70 mph with a 3.73 the " drone" is a bit much (especially in my rcsb). I did lose some low end power between 2500-3500 rpms but I did gain some power in higher rpms 3500-4500 range. I agree the power band moved up the rpm range.I have lost some low end torque with out a doubt. I spoke with several people including EFI alchemy and was informed that a tune will give me some power back. I was unable to get the tune with the holiday. I will post my results after I get the tailpipe and tune done. I highly recommend getting some hi flow cats and the tail pipes, you will maintain some of your low end torque without a tune. I also highly recommend getting a tune immediately after you install the kit. I can not emphasize how much I advise to get JEGS lap band clamps. The clamps that come with the kit are garbage. I am eating my words on the larger the exhaust the better, however I hope I will be able to regurgitate them after the tune. I also am basing my experience of my personal 6.0 engine, which 6.0 trucks come with twin 3" pipes that go to a restrictive muffler (2 in 1 out) then to a single 3" outlet. On a another note the exhaust hangers that come on the speed engineering kit did not line up exactly so the muffler shop is going to relocate them for better fitment when they do my tailpipes. I would love to post my photos here but can not I will start a new post soon.

Last edited by tpartsman; 01-03-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: can not add photos
Old 01-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Default The funny part is my passanger header no longer hits after installing the true duals

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
So we have been testing a few theories lately at the shop. Over the last few years I am sure you guys have heard we have had probably a handful of customers that have had the passenger side primary hit the frame. Several of these headers we have had sent back to us for inspection, and all showing no signs of irregularity between them.

So we recently installed a set of GM motor mounts on our shop project truck. As expected the GM mounts worked just fine with plenty of clearance. The second set of mounts were some eBay China knock off ones. I am honestly not sure if those are considered Anchor's or not. They looked like the traditional 99-06 mounts, not the new GM version they have out now. When we installed the aftermarket mounts the rubber didn't even touch. They had a bad vibration like a solid motor mount, and the headers hit the frame on the passenger side.

To try an make a long story short we have seen two instances that can push the passenger side header into the frame:

1. The common issue of the drivers side motor mount wearing out prematurely rocking the motor down on the drivers side which rotates the passenger side header into the frame. In this situation we have had a previous customer load the engine, and the passenger side header actually pulled away from the frame when the engine torqued.

2. Some aftermarket motor mounts have been proven to set the engine in a different location. We proved this on our shop truck, and I am assuming that is the reason why parks450 original motor mounts worked just fine, but his new ones did not. Hope some of this helps..

Thanks
Sean
I will bet $100.00 the problem is in the Y-PIPE I did nothing to my truck except install the "TRUE DUALS KIT". My passenger header no longer rests on the frame and I am still running my Anchor mounts that are half the cost of Delco's. Oh and the knocking sound in reverse is gone which confirms that was the header knocking against the frame.

Last edited by tpartsman; 01-02-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The Lap Band clamps get weak over time but yes, at first install they work the best. I would rather weld in the V Band Clamps in all locations, I wonder if you could order an exhaust without having expanded pipe?

Sean?

Chad
Old 01-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you guys for all the comments. Just a heads up we did get confirmation that our true dual rear exit kits are coming in on Thursday or Friday. Looking forward to releasing those. Price point should be another 100.00 above our current kits.

Thanks
Sean
Old 01-04-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im trying to convince a friend of mine to pick up one of these kits for his RCSB. He already has your headers. He bought a set of ebay junkers first and had nothing but problems with them, so he had to spend his money again and go with what I told him to buy from the beginning...he will probably not listen to me again and skip on buying the exhaust from yall.

On another note, Im not so patiently waiting the release of the duals kits for 98-02 f-body cars. Keep up the good work Speed Engineering!
Old 01-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

New Headers

Old 01-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

True dual rear exit kits are now in stock. We got them in earlier than expected. We also split up some of our kits so customers can interchange parts etc.

True Dual Exhaust Kits - Exhaust - 1999-13 LSX Trucks - Shop By Vehicle

Old 01-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much quieter is this over the axle dump kit? Are the mufflers still straight through perforated core?

Thanks,
Old 01-04-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally the wait is almost over. Order placed!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

For F' sake, please stop icluding those pos clamps! Give us the choice to buy with proper stepped 3" stainless dbl bolt clamps or NO band clamps so we can weld the pipes up, with out wasting $$ on those clamps that get tossed into the trash, never to be seen again.

Add a cpl bucks, remove a cpl bucks. Atleast there will be no more bitching about the pos clamps these kits come with.
That is a MAJOR bonus.

Last edited by ezdaar; 01-05-2017 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Prototype..