Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

I think my torque converter is toast.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my torque converter is toast.

This is a copy and paste from a post in my other thread. Not trying to clutter up the forum, but this is sort of a big issue so I'm starting a new thread about it to get some visibility.

Some good news, some pretty bad news.

Good:At WOT the truck runs like a Kenyan on crack.

Bad: I think my torque converter is toast.

After installing the cam, i went for a short drive and everything was ok. By the end of the drive there was a small stutter at part throttle. i figured it was just because of the new cam and not being tuned. Then i go to get tuned, and my tuner does live street tuning, so we went out on some back country roads and did all the WOT tuning. it ran great and the stutter problem magically went away for a while. Then we went in town and did all of the part throttle, regular driveability tuning. That's when the stutter came back, and got progressively worse. Then we figured out that it was a problem with the TC. He had it locked out while we were doing all the WOT stuff but when we did the normal driving tuning he turned it back on. As we kept going we realized that as soon as the TC locked up, there was a noticeable and constant stutter. Then it started getting progressively worse and got so bad that it was a bad vibration, made the truck stutter very badly, and you could even hear vibration (almost grinding) sound coming from the TC whenever it was locked up. I didn't feel comfortable driving like that at all and felt like it was getting bad enough it might completely blow up or something. So at the end of the day I just had him tune it out completely so i can drive the truck til i can get this problem fixed.

The question is, what could have happened? Anybody ever seen this before?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock converter?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm glad you're trying to figure it out. Around these parts people just blame the tuner immediately for any problem, regardless of its relevance to the tune lol... It does sound like your lockup is shredded though. Were you locking it at WOT?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Yes stock converter, and no it was never once locked up during WOT. He had it "turned off" in the tune while we were doing the WOT just so it wouldn't happen accidentally. Then when he turned it back on he made sure to set it that it doesn't lock up at WOT.

Another reason I don't think it was something the tuner did is I Actuall felt the very beginning of these symptoms before the tuner ever touched the truck.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

#1, check that your MIT didn't come off the throttle body.

#2, if it is the tq converter, at least you have a powertrain warranty still! get GM to install your new converter

#3, get some tires....that vid was embarassing lol, 4x4 guys don't have to worry bout dig runs sucka!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Well, I've gotten confirmation from multiple sources that the TC is toast.... So I just got off the phone with Circle D. Ordered a 2600-2800 multi-disk and a Tru-cool 40k. Hopefully I'll be picking it up next Monday morning and have a local shop install it that day. Sorta excited about it, but a little bummed at how it had to happen. And a little sad cuz my wallet just got raped. Lol
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Damn that sucks to hear about the stock converter going out so soon. Any reason on why you went with a 2600-2800 stall? Damn baller had to get the multi-disk too. LOL Anyways, how are you liking that LS9 cam so far? Big difference? Pull a little harder? Does it lope? Blowing you up with questions i know
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

your tuner is a little bit special for locking a stock convertor on the street under wot conditions.

just my opinion.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Area47
your tuner is a little bit special for locking a stock convertor on the street under wot conditions.

just my opinion.
Pretty sure he said the tuner made sure it couldn't lock @ wot. Learn how to read.

OP, you won't be disappointed with Circle D.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
Pretty sure he said the tuner made sure it couldn't lock @ wot. Learn how to read.

OP, you won't be disappointed with Circle D.
That is correct.

Thanks. I was considering going with a small stall later down the road but I was thinking like a year or so. Lol. Didn't know it was gonna be a week after the cam.

Quick Reply: I think my torque converter is toast.