Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

I Need Some 8.1 Spec.'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I Need Some 8.1 Spec.'s

I think I posted this before, a while ago, but I'm toying with the idea of an L18 8.1 from 01-up swap for my 3rd gen Firebird, or a Camaro I might pick up for cheap. Since it's a truck motor, I figured I'd post here. It won't be cheap, but then it wont be slow lol.

Just a few things I need to know.

- Would a 4L60E or T-56 from an F-body bolt up to the motor? If not, any thoughts on where to get an adaptor or bellhousing? Any other ideas?
- What is the measurment; from the back edge of the block to the front and rear of the engine side motor mounts? From edge to edge of the left to right of the heads? From the top of the intake to the bottom of the pan? From the rear of the block to the outermost pulley.
- The oil pan is cast, correct? I'm using a tubular K-member, so clearance shouldn't be an issue, but if it is, is there a smaller pan or would I need to fab one up or mod the stocker?
- Are there any brackets yet for PS delete or could the tensioner pulley and alternator be moved? I'll probably have to make my own.

If anyone has any idea, let me know. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:38 AM
GTO Forum Director

1) Yes. The Avalanche's and Suburban's use 4L85E's which is the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 4L65E.
2) Don't know, never measured mine
3) The oil pan in mine was a standard stamped steel piece.
4) Probably have to make your own. My other suggestion would be to talk to some Marine (boat) manufacturer's as they wouldn't need a power steering pump and BBC's are commonly used here.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Stamped steel pan huh? Ok, that'll be easier to fab up lol. The last pic I've seen of an 8.1 was showing a cast pan. No biggie if it is. Just have to dig up a stamped one.

True about the marine application's. That slipped my mind, lol.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:53 AM
GTO Forum Director

Some may, I know mine was a stamped steel unit as I looked into putting a better cooling one on.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:04 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

We've got 2 8.1's in the shop right now. We've done several wiring harness/ computer packages for them.

Yes, the 4l60E, 4L80E bolts right up as the rear trans flange hasn't changed:

I think if you used a T56 from an LT1 you would have the best luck for adapting the clutch, etc.

It looks like the dimension from the back of the engine to the motor mount location is the same as other big blocks, which is the same as the regular old small block Chevy so motor mounts shouldn't be a problem. I haven't actually put a tape measure to it, so I don't have the other dimensions.

All of the ones I have seen have cast aluminum oils pans, but apparently not all applications use this.

It's usually not too tough to relocate an idler pulley or something to get rid of something. I'm sure there will be a fairly easy way to eliminate the PS pump.

One of the 8.1's we have has been upgraded with a Comp cam and TEA heads and is going into an H1 Hummer!

I also have a brand new one that I ordered from GM to develop the wiring harnesses and computer programming.

If anybody is looking for a sweet 8100 package complete with stand alone harness and computer to do a swap with, let me know!

If you pursue this swap in your 3rd gen, come on over to the Conversions & Hybrids section; LOTS of good info and ideas over there!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Teching In

So, for the mounts, I could probably get away with using older V8 mounts, or similar. Actually, doesn't matter. I'll get my K-member with mounts seperate and have my chassis guy fab some up and weld them in.

I could probably use just another idler pulley in place of the PS pump. Who needs PS in a straight line anyway, lol? I'm using a manual rack also.

I found a decent complete engine for a good price. I just need a computer and the harness or one made up.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I read some where that they have the bosses for the old style bb mounts I guess I could go out to my shop and look at the one on the engine stand.
Speartech
Tell me alittle more about these TEA heads are they new heads or are they ported heads. I'm trying keep up on all the 8.1 stuff but Its kinda hard to find any thing on them. Seemes too meny people thumb there nose at it before they even know its potential.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I haven't been able to find much for 8.1's. Maybe it's too "new" of a motor? The only stuff I found is what's on TByrne's site. Raylar I think it is who makes the parts.

I've been trying to find more options for cams, heads, induction and rotating assemblies, but not much out there. Even in marine parts. There's got to be more out there.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:22 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TieRod
I read some where that they have the bosses for the old style bb mounts I guess I could go out to my shop and look at the one on the engine stand.
Speartech
Tell me alittle more about these TEA heads are they new heads or are they ported heads. I'm trying keep up on all the 8.1 stuff but Its kinda hard to find any thing on them. Seemes too meny people thumb there nose at it before they even know its potential.
It's just a cleanup / bowl blend done on the stock heads by TEA. Nothing too exotic.

Agreed, not a big following on these. A little surprising for a stroked big block with 496 cubes and the latest electronics running it. A real torque monster!

I think it got a little over shadowed by all of the turbo diesel performance progress of the last few years.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If Ray can ever get my parts to me I might turn some heads on my build up I'm doing a Raylar stroker that Ray said should make 600hp all motor than I'll add 250-300hp of N2O.

Quick Reply: I Need Some 8.1 Spec.'s