SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good way to keep polished wheels up!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A good way to keep polished wheels up!!

I found out a good way to keep the polished wheels looking good, longer than 3 weeks. I have tried about 10 different methods and finally have one that has been working for 3 months now and still going strong, haven't had to polish the wheel for 3 months and it still looks new. I start off..polishing the wheel with your favorite wheel polish. Then I let the wheels go for a week and I wash the whole truck getting the old wax that I haven't got off yet off. Then after if it washed and dryed. I wash the wheels with 2001 Turtle wax(not heavy polish just a nice wipe down). Then whenever its time to wash the truck...I save the wheels for last and dry them first. I have no water spots and the water just beeds off the wheel. Best method that I have down yet!!! Thought I would share the info....enjoy!!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the info. I just polished my wheels for the first time a couple weekends ago. It wasn't fun.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll have to try this when i put my stingray III's back on. billet alluminum is a biotch to polish.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

on the billet aluminum, would you guys recommend cleaning them with simple green? or would sgreen hurt the wheels finish?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

My method has worked great for me so far...I would just recommend what ever car wash you use...I use the Duragloss stuff. Then mothers polish and 2001 over it. Still looks good...I do the same to my exhaust tips too that are polished stainless. Works great on those as well.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh by the way....the reason Turtle wax 2001 works so good as the top coat is that it has silcone in it making it harder for the environment to hurt it. That's why when you go to paint a car, you have to use wax and grease remover to get the silcone out of the paint.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:28 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't use Simple Green on aluminum...it could stain it. Anyone who has polished wheels and has not yet gotten a Mother's Powerball is a fool...it is the best thing since sliced bread. Get the polish too--it's a liquid instead of a paste which makes it a little easier to work with. You can apply a paste polish first and then use the Powerball to polish it, but that's just too much work. I spend about 5 mins/wheel now instead of an hour.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigKID
Thanks for the info. I just polished my wheels for the first time a couple weekends ago. It wasn't fun.
hearth the powerball worked well. I'm gonna do that when I take em off here in the next month or so.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I tried the PB and wasnt very impressed with it. I guess it all depends on the wheel you are using it on. :dunno:
Old 10-20-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigKID
I tried the PB and wasnt very impressed with it. I guess it all depends on the wheel you are using it on. :dunno:
I bought it and I think it is absolute garbage I could polish better and faster with just my hand. Maybe it does depend on what kind of wheel. It really sucked on the Centerlines.

Quick Reply: A good way to keep polished wheels up!!