Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Knock knock.... who's there? KR

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock knock.... who's there? KR

First of all I would like to thank DCJustin for all the help he has been giving me over the last few weeks with helping me understand getting around in EFILive. So let me give you the quick run down.

My Truck:
2003 2500HD 4x4
8.1L/Allison
WHipple Supercharged @ 7psi non-intercooled
No Whipple electronics
42lb/hr marine injectors
cool plugs gapped at .035
160* thermostat

I can not for the life of me get the knock to go away. It is there at low rpm, low load, and everywhere in between. We have tried lowering the timing to as much as 3* and I still get 3*-5* of timing being pulled. I have tried changing gas and using octane booster and it has not helped. I know my IATs are a little high without the I/C, but when its pulling 4* and i only have a total of 3* in there to begin with, something is wrong. The one thing that crossed my mind was the fact that i have an Allison trany, and I was told a while back that the Allison TCM commands it own torque management seperate from that of the PCM. Well when i opened the TCM file, i found nothing referencing TM in the parameters. I figured that maybe the timing that was being pulled was from the Allison TCM, but now I dont know. I even drove beside jersey walls to see if i could hear the sound of knocking or pinging from outside my truck...i heard nothing. Even when it says its pulling 5* of timing i hear nothing at all. I am at a loss as to what could be causing this and like "O2" said, 100 people looking at it is better than 1 or 2, so i figured i would post up my tunes, logs and Allison file for you all to look over if and when you get time. I will probably copy and paste this thread over at the EFILive forum as well to see if they have any idea's. AFR seems right on the money too. Well here is a zip file with some tunes and logs associated with those tunes as well as the stock Allison TCM tune. You will need EFILive v7.3 to open the Allison tune i think. Look at how at even part throttle low load conditions, i still get the knock. I gave the logs the same or similar names as the corrosponding tune it came from. If anything jumps out at ya, let me know. Thanks a lot.

http://www.pasadenatownhall.com/tunes.zip

Last edited by Whippled 496; 09-23-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Junkie

put in some 110 on an empty tank if it doesnt go away its false knock, I had a dude that I tuned and tuned on his stuff and couldnt get it too go away finally after months he said OH the dipstick is loose I forgot about it, I was so irritated.
Grab the tranny and oil dipsticks and shake em some see if there is any rattling.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Pe delay counter adjustment this seems to be the same as enrichment rate, I noticed your logs where lean (14:1ish) for a good bit after going 100tps Id try raising or lowering this so you get pe fueling ASAP(doesnt tell if the value is time based or an adder)

also knock retard recovery rate I would tweak it so you dont get an instance of kr drawn out over a huge amount of time should look more like a spike, do this after the 110 experiment

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 09-23-2006 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

My knock recovery rate is already zero'd out. What should it be? Also my PE delay counter adjustment table is zero'd out as well. These are new areas for me to work in so take it slow with me...
Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

here are a few MAPs showing the damage. I am trying to find common denominators here. Have a look....

Old 09-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't zero out the recovery rate...my value in HPT is .75. Do you know what 02 is saying about this table? Looking at the graph your knock continues on and on. Upping this value will make your pcm recover quicker from kr. It is another way to see what's real and what's not. Real knock will look real choppy on the graph with this value raised. Fake kr is almost always a quick blip and then nothing.

how the hell do you swap the column/rows in EFILive. I am so used to HPT and looking at these tables in EFI is giving me a headache. LOL

why do you have such a dip in your ve table at the 95kpa area?

Last edited by dewmanshu; 09-23-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

the table values cannot be compared between efi live and hpt they are completely different in the majority of the secondary tables. For example the pe quotient in HPT is exactly that but in EFI live it is a lamda value.
An example:
HPT: 14.7/1.122=13:1 afr commanded
EFI live: 1=14.7 so the value is a percentage meaning 14.7*.85=12.5:1 afr
85% of the number 14.7
many of the tables are like this where the numbers arent treated imperically but as derivatives
EFI live is very different from HPT and no where near as intrinsic

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
how the hell do you swap the column/rows in EFILive. I am so used to HPT and looking at these tables in EFI is giving me a headache. LOL
me too
Old 09-24-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Looking over some other tunes i noticed a few things that may or may not have to do with anything but i figured i would ask.

The first thing is table B6227 (knock sensor filter). I have read that GM uses frequencys in the 4-5kHz range for thier knock sensors. All the other tunes I have looked at have the cells filled with 4.70. My cells are filled with 7.90, what effect would this have? Is the raising of that number actually filtering more outside noise -OR- causing it to hear more (knock) than it should?

Second thing. Can the VE table have anything to do with knock, or can the data being incorrect in those cells effect KR? I ask because in looking at table B0101 (main VE table), and when the "UNITS" (cells) are populated with "%" instead of g/cyl, there is a dip at 95kPa between 2800-4000rpm (I think DEW pointed this out as well). I dont see this dip in any other tunes and am wondering why it would be there. You can only see it when the units are set for "%". You can see these things in that last tune i posted.

By the way, I am posting these same questions over at the EFI live forum trying to get as many eyes on it as I can. I have my 2bar MAP sensor, but i dont wanna go F'in with that until i get my knock cleared up.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Whippled 496; 09-24-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Still doing to comparisons on various tables and the main differences i see are the knock sensor frequency and the VE table incrementation. I am still trying to figure this out. Hopefully i will get some time this afternoon to do some more driving. Making adjustments in my VE table is going to effect my AFR isn't it?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chnage the ve table. It won't hurt upping those areas that has the dip. You will essentially be adding fuel in those areas. Keep it in the % mode and smooth that area out or hell you could even interlope or what it's called, LOL, when you have the software fill the cells for you. There are a few of us that have found knock do to "holes" or hiccups" in the ve table. I think some of your knock is fake, but I also believe that part of your ve table is causing some issues with real knock.

Quick Reply: Knock knock.... who's there? KR