THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Step by Step build of 28,000HP Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:31 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Step by Step build of 28,000HP Diesel

Found some pictures of the engine build on my last ship and I thought I would post them up. This is a 28,000HP Twin turbo 7 cylinder Diesel engine. Capable of spinning 115 RPM's. I'll do my best to explain what parts are what.

Here's most of the Parts, don't ask me for a parts list or part numbers...!
Engine is three stories high. You can see the Crank Case, Block and Head Assembly decks. Not sure how you want to define them because they aren't built in one piece as our car engine's are.

Here's the Oil Pan if you will. Crankshaft sits in that cradle where the hole is on the front end.

Here's a view of the Journal bearings where the Crankshaft is gonna sit.

I don't even want to begin to imagine the size of the lathe that made that stupid thing, imagine if you made one wrong pass...Ohhh **** there goes your job! This is the lift for the install.

Here's a closeup of the Crankshaft...one piece.

Here's the second level or the Crankcase if you will. Those hatches are for crawling inside when we have to pull a piston, work on some bearings or sensors.

For instance...

Here's the Heads/Cylinder housings. Yes those are the head studs and no ARP doesn't have them in stock.

Dropping in the heads...trying not to kill the guy in between the two decks. Probably laying down some RTV + Gasket. Nice shoes he's wearing!

Not the greatest pics but here's the Twin Turbo's. Not a clue as to the specs although I've seen the compressor wheel and it was the size of a oven. We clean the Soot off the Turbo with Walnut shells once a day. The operating range for these turbo's starts at 87 rpm's and they spin at about 14,000 rpm's. I think Boost is at 8.2 bar or 120 psi. Anything less than 87 rpm's and the engine uses blowers which use an electric motor. The engine requires too much air for it to suck in N/A which is why the blowers are needed below the turbo threshold.

Here's a good shot of the engine with out the Turbo chargers.

Alright, quick Diesel guys...what kind of engine is this, here's a hint those ports in the Cylinders are the exhaust ports!

2-stroke engine.

So here's some of those Head studs. Only way to get the Nuts onto them is to stretch them with a pneumatic thread spacer. By stretching the threads we open up a gap wide enough to thread the nut onto the threads hand tight. God hasn't invented an impact wrench big enough...yet.

Dropping a piston in.

Timing Chain...nope not your ordinary bike chain.

Here's a good shot of the engine with the Turbo's in place. You can also see the heads are on covering the Pistons. You can see the nuts used to keep them in place.

And finally here's the "Air Box" or log style collector that feeds the intake charge to the engine.

Last edited by Spoolin; 08-29-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:41 AM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like tons of fun how do you get a job like that?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:46 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to a Military academy and majored in Nautical Science and Marine Engineering. Primarily work as Navigation officer on Commercial and Military ships but when I want a change of pace I go work as an engineer.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:17 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey what's that "sheet metal intake" flow? Will a 90mm fit on there??
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Here's the Heads/Cylinder housings. Yes those are the head Bolts and no ARP doesn't have them in stock.

That's awesome. Those pics are amazing.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 AM
11 Second Truck Club

thanks for the pics and details!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Nothing like having a walk in door to your crankcase!

Great pics Julien. Thanks for sharing them.

Welcome home too!

Richard
Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn those r some crazy pics, i'v seen something on Discovery about those boat engines... but those pics r awesome. thnx for postn them Julien

-Rob
Old 10-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Just think of the catastrophy if that thing was a tooth or too off time, I use to wouk on tugboat deisels alot smaller than those but still big as a box van sometimes we would have to pull the side covers off while running that is some amazing stuff.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is badass!!! Thanks for the pics!!!!
Parish will probably try and fit on of those into something.........

James

Quick Reply: Step by Step build of 28,000HP Diesel