Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Operation hell blazer....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation hell blazer....

...has begun. I am going to put a 408 in my wife's 6 TB. It had a 5.3,it is 4x4 nonEXT. Are there any suprises I need to be aware of on these trucks? I have built several Fbody cars. This is the 1st time I have played with a truck.
It is going to be a mild aplication at first. I will be using the upper end of the 5.3 to go back on. I know it isn't optimal. I have to do this whilst I have the shot.LOL Or the wife will NEVER let me do this to her TB.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be ready for the tranny to go boom.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

indeed.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shouldn't be to bad,just gotta worry about the tranny.let us know how it all goes
Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Uh....5.3 heads on a 408??
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

im sure the rear end will need changing, the tb's differential is tiny compared to the larger engines...

oil pan? will u be using the stock 5.3 block as a start? or your own block? the oil pan from the tb has the transmission housing bolts in located on them.. u will have to re-use or might run into clearance issues installing the transmission.. maybe as well might need new motor mounts...

this is all what i can remember from my trailblazer days... check out the forum above for more answers!

Goodluck and keep us posted, it should be a sweeeeet tb!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Uh....5.3 heads on a 408??
LOL For now. I have been wanting to rip into this truck ever sense we bought it. It being my wife's car and me having my Ta she would not let me near the damn thing.
Now that the engine is conveiently blown, I have to move in a manner that will not draw attention to what I am doing. So I am going back in withthe factory heads and intake. I have a nice cam going in that isnt overly aggressive soo the factory stall will still work.
I just pulled the upper half of the engine off and it is ready for the cherry picker. It was pretty simple. The injectors are a bitch to get unplugged.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by norris_83
im sure the rear end will need changing, the tb's differential is tiny compared to the larger engines...

oil pan? will u be using the stock 5.3 block as a start? or your own block? the oil pan from the tb has the transmission housing bolts in located on them.. u will have to re-use or might run into clearance issues installing the transmission.. maybe as well might need new motor mounts...

this is all what i can remember from my trailblazer days... check out the forum above for more answers!

Goodluck and keep us posted, it should be a sweeeeet tb!
Thanks for the input. I will be using the TB oil pan so as to avoid any issues. I plan on doing this swap for under 4k. I also am **** canning that damn fan! I have some old LS1 fans laying around. I will be factory looking all the way down to the manifolds and over sized muffler.LOL
Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

What is the stall of a 06 TB with 5.3? Also are these things peg leg rears?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Add a shift kit to the tranny along with a tune? Maybe that will prolong it with easy driving habits.

Quick Reply: Operation hell blazer....