Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Silverado Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado Reliability

So I'm seriously considering buying a family friend's 2003 RCSS Silverado with a Maggie on it. The truck as 110,000 on it, but is in GREAT condition. The current owner is 64 years old and doesn't drive hard at all, he just putts around. The blower was installed at 40K, so that means it has 70K on it.

I've been reading a lot here on the forums and like my F-Body, the 4l60s and 10-bolts are weak points, but is there anything else I should be leery of with 110K on it? Or are these trucks pretty reliable? How about suspension pieces and other emissions/engine components like starters, alternators etc.

Also, how about the Radix, should I be looking into a full service on that?

I'm looking at it for a nice DD. My current DD is an '84 Toyota truck with almost 300,000 on it. It's a great truck, but I'm ready for something a little nicer as my daily.
Here's a pic of the truck in question, for views.
Name:  frissko041.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  82.0 KB
Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you already know the weak points s everything else is the same thing as ur f-body i cant say nothing bad about my silvy with 160k the only thing ive hade problems with has been rear end and tranny but thats kus of my driving havits !
Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Highway hauler

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re Silverado reliability

I am just shy of 200,000 miles on mine. I bought it with 125,000. I have only replaced a fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, belts, plugs, tires, and brakes.
this 1500 pulled a 26 foot trailer for the first few years of it's life and has benn a daily driver since then. The three years I have had it is mostly DD with ocasional embarrassing fords and toyotas, and making the nissan titans earn their reputation.
I believe mine is very reliable.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see, common problems...fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, window regulators, I've replaced my belt tensioners once already and the main one is noisy again, some 4x4 issues that you don't have to worry about, I have a water leak on the pass side that I haven't had the chance to diagnose, some stupid little stuff like looseness in my driver's seat, and a creaky left side door check, both of which there are TSB's outlining fixes for...nothing major really, my biggest PITA will probably be the water leak. All in all they're very reliable trucks...take care of it and it will take care of you
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Teching In

how much is he gonna charge you? and with that many miles on the supercharger id have it taken off and looked at

from what i have seen and i have owned a few 5.3's they will go 200k no problem if they arnt abused and i think the 4Lshitty E will be the first to go
Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Let's see, common problems...fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, window regulators, I've replaced my belt tensioners once already and the main one is noisy again, some 4x4 issues that you don't have to worry about, I have a water leak on the pass side that I haven't had the chance to diagnose, some stupid little stuff like looseness in my driver's seat, and a creaky left side door check, both of which there are TSB's outlining fixes for...nothing major really, my biggest PITA will probably be the water leak. All in all they're very reliable trucks...take care of it and it will take care of you
Hit it on the head here. However, being a 2003 I am sure most of them electronic things are in good shape.. The trany's are a week point, so is the STOCK locker or open unit in the rear.. What can you get it for, is the ??? Next is.. IS it me or does that back wheel look bent???
Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 PM
MASS seller approved

suspension looks iffy :/ and if he gets it cheap enough it wont matter but i had a 5.3 with 148k and never had a problem out of it
Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say buy it if you know the guy. Better to buy from someone you know than from a total stranger who says "he never ragged it out". Thats my .02.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My GMC has 200k on it and I have done nothing major to it - just change the alternater 2000 miles ago. Normal maintanence stuff (oil,brakes,plugs wires) otherwise very dependable.

On a side note - a dealership in my hometown in PA offered me a great deal on trade for a 2010, they wanted to my truck in their showroom to show customers what dependable trucks GM builds! I didnt take the offer b/c I dont want a car payment! If mine breaks in anyway, I'll just rebuild it!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Thanks for all the input. The blower does have 70K on it. I need to call Magnacharger and see what they say. I've known the owner since I was a kid and he's had it since new. He's in his 60s and doesn't drive it hard. He's more into his 39 and 40 Ford Coupes, this was just his DD.

Other mods include:
Halibrand wheels with knockoffs
Belltech drop
3" stainless cat-back with Magnaflow muffler and tucked tip
Tonneau cover
Bed Rug
Rear roll pan (not in picture)

It needs:
Tires
Shocks
Roll pan painted
Speedo/oil pressure gauges dont work on the cluster (a common problem I found through searching here).

The bank appraised it at $11,000 (which seemed a little high). He told me he sell it to me for $8500...I thought about offering him $8000.

What do you guys think?

Also, it hasn't run in 5 months, it's been parked in his driveway and now it doesn't want to idle. It's really rough. I'm thinking it might be the fuel rails like I've read on here? He recently replaced the plugs and fuel filter thinking it was that.
He also said it doesn't want to hold a charge, he killed to Optima Yellow Top batteries. But I've had bad luck with those batteries, once they go flat I can never get them back.

Quick Reply: Silverado Reliability