Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

01 8.1L build up suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't lower compression. Whipple's have a hard time keepin up with the 8.1l. With a cam and heads boost maybe limited.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TieRod
I wouldn't lower compression. Whipple's have a hard time keepin up with the 8.1l. With a cam and heads boost maybe limited.
With heads and CAM I would not expect more than 5lbs of boost from a 2.3L intercooled Whipple on an 8.1L.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah 9-1 is fine dont go any lower
Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well hell, maybe i shoudl just sale the whipple and turbo it...

I think im going to pass on heads and intake... just more than i want to spend... i might have the stock heads cleaned up, and maybe have the intake honed... i did that on a corba back in the 90 worked pretty well...

found my coolent problem... seal on the cap was bad letting air get in then dumping it out the over flow tube.. so maybe its not hurt to bad
Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think im going to pass on heads and intake... just more than i want to spend... i might have the stock heads cleaned up, and maybe have the intake honed... i did that on a corba back in the 90 worked pretty well...

found my coolent problem... seal on the cap was bad letting air get in then dumping it out the over flow tube.. so maybe its not hurt to bad
Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

leveling kit and 255-85-16's which are probably the same size as the 285's... the bead lock wheels are not to wide.. i dont like the look of a "fat" tire where the side wall stick out liek a baloon.

The snokel we did at the house with a big saw and lots of beer for my nervers... nothing like a 4" hole in the fender and then the inside cut out.. lol...
Old 10-01-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kerr

In that case.......... can I borrow the whipple before you sell?
Twin charging my truck crosses my mind often. I promise I'll give it back..........someday!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my buddy drew mentiond that the other night.. he was looking at how the whipple goes together and said u just need another one, or turbo on it with the whipple lol..
Old 10-09-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Kerr, I'll trade you my turbo kit for the 8.1L for your Whipple haha. Its got a Precisions 76mm, just like Tireod originally had, before the new bigger one. I cant remeber what he has now, lol. You know you want it!!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Down and out

Kerr,

IM going to follow this thread along. Im dying to do a front mount turbo on my 8.1 but im afraid of all the hype on broken 8.1's. I did not know diamond made a forged 8.1 piston. I have been e-mailing Ray @ Raylar about his piston/rod combos, 1380 is rods/pistons/pins/rings. He didnt say weather the boost pistons are Wiseco or Mahle, i know the Mahle's are brittle. Id be ok with Wiseco though. I had a long discussion with him regaurding the stock 8.1 heads and why they are garbage. It goes far deeper than just porting, odd design on the chambers are VERY detonation proned on boosted apps. Ill prob. search the marine forums and find a used set of Raylar heads. ARP had head studs for the 8.1 now (like a million dollars) The stock 8.1 crank is safely good to about 600HP, so upgrading that would be a plus. Im thinking on a custom grind cam for my turbo application. Im currently running an XR270HR cam and im not sure how well that would work on a turbo app (aside the fact that it has awfull valvetrain noise) Keep this thread alive on your project and how its going!

Quick Reply: 01 8.1L build up suggestions.