Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

14 bolt rear - Mini Spool?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 14 bolt rear - Mini Spool?

I have a 2000 GMC 2500 2wd 6.0L LQ4. It has a 14 bolt rear in it? It has an open diff stock. Has anybody put a mini spool in this rear end? Who makes one? I am looking for a cheap way to lock up the rear?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Never seen one. The 14 bolt 9.5 Semi Float Rear end is kinda odd when it comes to parts like that.

Best thing would be a take out Locker. It's your least expensive option.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benlugchev
I have a 2000 GMC 2500 2wd 6.0L LQ4. It has a 14 bolt rear in it? It has an open diff stock. Has anybody put a mini spool in this rear end? Who makes one? I am looking for a cheap way to lock up the rear?
Hell you want cheap, you got a buddy with a welder? Just weld the spiders together. I've done it to hand full of rears with no problems.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the responses,

Fast Brick, what do you mean by a take out locker? do you mean change out the whole spool?

Tie Rod, Thanks, I have heard of guys doing that, it might be an option. How have they held up on the street, (prop depends on the welder?) im planning no running fairly wide tires 275's or bigger? Would just hate to have an issue being its a daily driver.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Fast Brick, what do you mean by a take out locker? do you mean change out the whole spool?

Tie Rod, Thanks, I have heard of guys doing that, it might be an option. How have they held up on the street, (prop depends on the welder?) im planning no running fairly wide tires 275's or bigger? Would just hate to have an issue being its a daily driver.
I was refering to a used factory locker. Find a nice one and put that in there as a replacement.

As far as welding goes... It has been done but there are things that you should be aware of. The gears are hardened for wear and durablity. Welding metal that has been hardend creates a weak spot next to the weld. Its most likely to break there and if it does it could take the whole carrier out and posibbly the gear set.

FWIW Suburbans and work trucks from the late 80's and up were common for having factory lockers. Very abundent in wrecking yards. I have even run across a few rebuilt locker units with new gear sets... You never know till you pop it open.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for your help, I will be looking into it
Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about on the street but a friend with mud bogger making 1300+hp on nitrous and had lincoln lockers(welded). They never broke. If you plan to drive on street you would not be best to have a welded locker or mini spool.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If i was you i would go to a wrecker and find a full floater rear diff they will take more abuse and i believe most came with lockers
Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dgrown
If i was you i would go to a wrecker and find a full floater rear diff they will take more abuse and i believe most came with lockers
Might not be a bad idea. I wouldn't count on the G80 locker that came in those rear ends lasting very long, they work, but durability hasn't exactly been consistent. DD'ing with a welded or spooled rear end drives most humans nuts.... but give it a go !
Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for all the input. i ended up welding it. i took my time and really did a nice job. big trick is to preheat to 450F while welding and wrap it with insulation after welding to let it cool slowy, if it cools too quick i learned the welds will crack. but so far so good. she doesnt like tight left hand turns, but other than that, i can tolerate it for the cost.lol Ive already got a handfull of burnouts on it.

Quick Reply: 14 bolt rear - Mini Spool?