Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

2004 extended cab 2500hd 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by texasglock23
ANYTHING is worth what someone will pay, so if it warrants $16k, and someone is willing to pay for it, given the circumstances, it can bring that. Take for instance that same truck from Texas or Cali (or the like) beings sold and someone from Canada wanting a nice platform, they will gladly play the higher price. I've seen it happen, numerous times on the forums. Just because you would not pay the price doesn't mean jack.

I for one wouldn't pay 10k for one, 7500 would be my cap in my area.
No it's not WORTH that much regardless if someone dumb enough to pay it comes along. Vehicles aren't assets...... If you pay that much for an 8 year old truck why don't you just burn your money while you are at it.

Canadians that pay that much are nuts too..... You can buy nice platforms up here, readily, so that never was the draw. The only draw to stateside would be a price differentiation that doesn't exist anymore with the high Canadian dollar. Our trucks aren't thousands of dollars higher than in the US anymore whereas in the past you could save a good chunk of money buying in the US. But those days have come and gone thankfully for the most part. Boats, holiday trailers and junk like that is still pretty cheap to buy Stateside and haul back up however. It's not hard to find a truck here that is 6 or 7 years old and still has most of the factory undercoating on it. I don't live in a salt bowl like someone from Ontario.

If you are talking about 20 and 30+ year old trucks, well yes. You can find rust free examples down there you won't here. Plus usually the resto'd stuff is cheaper in the States than for the same thing here. That market hasn't changed much.

I can speak for a lot of people as the overpriced trucks here ( like low 20's for a 60000 mile 06 or 07 classic ) just sit and sit and sit.... To the tune of a year or so before the dealer ships it to auction.

But hey, if someone will pay that much...... Perfect. So that means an 06 with 60000 miles should be worth mid 20's...... I see a business oppurtunity here, lol.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So then your theory would be a 69 camaro would be worth very little, seeing as it is quite old, has quite a bit of miles, and you can get a new one for $30k, so why buy an older one for $20k

OP, do what makes you happy, as MOST people know...and understand, hobbies are expensive, and some times you pay a premium for what you want.

You can get a 1911 all day long for $600, but mine was much more...you can buy an AR for $700, but I paid much more.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

$7000 would probably be fair on a 2wd if its nice. If it is sitting on a dealer lot they are always high.

OP I am shopping now myself. Looking at a 06 1500HD 4X4 Chev currently while writing this. It's loaded minus sunroof and rear dvd, but is a GFX package leather truck otherwise. It has 70000 miles on it. Sitting on a Chev dealer lot the asking price is $19,900, which it isn't worth. $16-17k max would be fair if it's really clean. But in getting its history which I just did it really seems like a lemon with a bunch of work done. As it sits they changed the leaking engine and trans cooler lines ( super common of course and a plus in my mind) but left the torque convertor seal leaking oil....... Which is leaking from the torque convertor swap it had done about 11000 miles ago..... Not to mention the full page of other crap it has had done... and that is only what was done at a GM dealer, disregarding anywhere else. I probably am going to pass because of it's service history as I don't need to purchase someone elses problem. Unless I get some smoking deal on it..... which I won't, lol.

Get as much info on the truck as you can.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 09-11-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very true, thing is, you DON'T need that particular truck, you WANT it. Walk if they won't budge, or pay it if it is everything you want. I myself am cheap as hell. If I can't even negotiate $1 I feel like I am getting shafted. When I walk, coins drop...
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bingo.

Take my latest.... Salesman decides to call over the email game to tell me how wonderful the truck is. Then he feels because I apparently can't read that he needs to explain the 3 month 3000 mile warranty it comes with as an Optimum used truck. Okay..... BUt then tells me the torque convertor seal is a $12 part ( well that's even inflated but okay) but will cost me $985 in labor to fix........ Say what?

So what exactly does the "warranty" cover it comes with, because apparently blatant leaks noted on inspections in the powertrain isn't one of them? I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday...... but I think that salesman did. It's 'Peace of Mind"..... Yeah okay, I am sure of that by your tactics thus far....... It's a premium truck, premium higher than market price but has bald tires (7/32") and a leaking convertor seal plus who knows what else.

Buyer beware.