Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

2011 2500HD 6.0 L96 tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 2500HD 6.0 L96 tuners?

Hello to everyone on here, I am new to the forum but have been checking it out for a few weeks now and searching for all the info I can on these new motors. I recently purchased this truck and I can honestly say I like it a lot. I didn't buy it for great fuel economy because that would be a big FAIL if I did, but I did buy it because I couldn't justify buying the 6.6 Max for an additional 10k up here in Canada and the diesel fuel is almost par with gasoline, plus I don't pull all the time either.
Now my real question is what can I get or do to this L96 to wake it up a little and maybe see some changes for the better in fuel economy. I have recently put a Magnaflow on and I love the sound of it. Much nicer tone compared to the Flowmaster,Mbrp and dynomax in my opinion.(we tried all of them)
Now I am looking to get a CAI and I would love to get a tuner but I am having trouble finding one.
I have also read that swapping the intake is a big plus and headers.
Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Nothing?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a custom tune. Handhelds suck. I installed an Airaid MIT and their high-flow dry filter (Airaid Jr if purchased together as a kit) prior to my BlackBear tune and I'm satisfied with the results. My truck is a 1500 6.2 but the same mods will wake up your truck too.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know where in Canada your located at, but if I'm not mistaken Westers tuning is up there. I would think they would be the closest for you. Skip the handhelds, custom tune is the way to go.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Teching In

I would love to go with a custom tune but the warranty factor is there. with a handheld I can go back to stock when I bring it to work for warranty if it's needed. With a custom I can't correct?
Plus I have to have my truck out of commission while I send my ecm out to get programmed. I am located in Ontario just north of Toronto. Never heard of Westers tuning
Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by H1guy
I would love to go with a custom tune but the warranty factor is there. with a handheld I can go back to stock when I bring it to work for warranty if it's needed. With a custom I can't correct?
Plus I have to have my truck out of commission while I send my ecm out to get programmed. I am located in Ontario just north of Toronto. Never heard of Westers tuning
Anytime teh ECM is flashed, the dealership can tell, so even handhelds arent the answer.

Westers Garage is out west. If you want real gains, a custom tune is where its at. You can always have a spare ECM mailed, or have a handheld loaded with a custom tune and flashed to your ECM.

Wester's Garage - Home of all Custom Tunes

peace
Hog
Old 09-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Man Motor club

Handhelds suck; you can always use an Autocal to store and reflash a factory tune or have the shop reflash it in case of a failure.

Our trucks don't store flash history, FYI. The Tech2 has no provisions for viewing tune history on any LS trucks to date. Camaros, new Duramax diesel trucks, and Buick Regals all have Global A reflash counting software, but not the LS trucks.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Man Motor club

They can view current tune state but that is all.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Sorry about the late reply, been really busy.
Anyways yes your right about the tech2. You can't see anything, but using a midi and using SPS you can see what program you have in it whether it is factory or not. If it is not a GM specific program code it has an * at the end and it will label it as unknown. I am going to get a ecm programmed for it after winter. Been working my new Kubota a lot and haven't even thought about my trucks performance. It pulls great, runs great and isn't much worse on fuel than a diesel. I put the truck in some local truck pulls in the fall. Truck weighed in at 6500 lbs so they put me in the diesel class. I out pulled several oil burners. came in 9th place at the one event. The winners were fairly modded oil burners. I had people coming up and checking my truck out and commenting on how well it worked. The best part was the announcer was a local GMC dealer. So he really talked it up at the start line.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Man Motor club

Nice yeah they can see if you have a tune currently regardless of where the tune came from but if you pull the tune and reload the factory tune (from an AutoCal or otherwise) they have no way of seeing that it has been tuned. BlackBear Performance can hook you up with both a custom tune and the AutoCal device to datalog and load tunes. That's what I have.