Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

6.5 turbo swap info needed on PCM ect ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 6.5 turbo swap info needed on PCM ect ????

Some questions, info needed. Buddy of mine has a FRESH 6.5 that was just redone. 17-1 pistons, upgraded turbo, basically what they do to them to make more power, run better then the orig 21-1 engines. Anyway Dad and me been wanting to swap out the BBC-400 turbo trans in his dually to a diesel. 4BT, 6BT cummins have been on the list, but I can swap this set up even up. This is complete with the harness, PCM, 4l80e trans ready to go. ??? Is this should be a direct drop in, should run given that I will have the PCM and harness with it and all correct ? I realize the speedo, some gauges will not work, but never the less this should fire up correct? Figure I would give it a shot here before I post over on the diesel sight. Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is the 6.5L set up coming from and what year is it going to?

The easiest way is to get a mechanical injection pump and get rid of the electronics then get a 92-93 TCM to control the 4L80 or an after market controller.

Leroydiesel has the controler and turbo I would use

Constega diesel has the Injection pump and injectors I would use. Google moose pumps, you will likely find oilburners.net and Mel @ constega is a vendor there.

The cost to convert a 4 or 6bt to fit in a GM and match up to everything is outrageous. A 6.5L can put out ~300hp 550 ft # and still be reliable.

Check out thetruckstop.us
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Baltimore Whore

I am not totally sure on the year of the 6.5. Truck it will be going into is a 83 c30. And yes people selling these 4bt's are insane on price, even the 6bt's around here are going for 2k. This would be a strait up trade, like i said this 6.5 is fresh, upgraded with every thing. I will have to find out the year, but have not been able to get back with my buddy
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM

In an OBS I would convert it to mechanical.

You can sell all of the electronic injection pump and related parts for $$$. Give leroydiesel a call and see if he would work out a deal for your wiring harness and IP for a standalone tranny controller.

@ 17.1:1 you can run a decent amount of boost, you just need to have the right turbo for the job. Stock is a POS.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Baltimore Whore

I am gona check on it tom, see the year. The engine has been built RIGHT at a reputable engine shop, the guy who had it done is no dummy when it comes to the oil burners. He was going to use it in a truck but went with a 6bt. If I decide to keep the electric injection if it has it, what is the biggest issue with that going to be ?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Not trying to discredit your engine builder, most guys that lower compression, add studs, and update cooling show promise in knowing more than the average parts changer. An electronic 6.5L is not a good oil burner to many touchy sensors.

There are alot of people that dont think of the turbo as being a cridical area on these rigs, they hate back pressure. Anything smaller than a 16cm HX40 is a waste of a built engine. I'd recommend a hybrid or the turbo I mentioned from leroydiesel (its bigger and what I use in towing rigs)

Electronics wont really be an issue but more of a pain in the rear. ECM and wiring will need to be integrated into the dash, wires ran underhood, PMD mounted outside of the engine bay on a heat sink, relays need to be added for fuel pumps.

I HATE wiring btw. I can fix it and put together what needs to be done and do a good job but I advoid any extra wiring work like the plague lol.

94-95 will be less work than 96+

Last edited by tman_2006; 03-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Baltimore Whore

Appreciate the input for sure. I would like to get the engine in the truck atleast before going and changing turbos and what not, as it is complete ready to go. Basically looking for a set up that is better on gas mileage( 7-10 mpg) with out giving up the tq of the BBC, this deal is kinda there if you know what I am saying. Wiring is no huge issue, I do have some exp in it, as does my father, we have done harnesses for cars in the past, it is not that big of a deal as long as were not building a entire harness or something that is a total reconfigure where it is going to take forever, which I do not see this being that. I just figured this would be easier and a TON cheaper to do then bolting in a 4bt or 6bt. What all is going to need to be integrated, other then getting the senders to work with gauges? The PMD I take it controls the fuel pump ? Bare with me as this 6.5 is new territory for me LOL so going to have to learn as I go. If the PCM is wired into the engine, trans, hooked to power, ground, fuel, will it function? Thanks alot.

Last edited by Mangled03gmc; 03-06-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Appreciate the input for sure. I would like to get the engine in the truck atleast before going and changing turbos and what not, as it is complete ready to go. Basically looking for a set up that is better on gas mileage( 7-10 mpg) with out giving up the tq of the BBC, this deal is kinda there if you know what I am saying. Wiring is no huge issue, I do have some exp in it, as does my father, we have done harnesses for cars in the past, it is not that big of a deal as long as were not building a entire harness or something that is a total reconfigure where it is going to take forever, which I do not see this being that. I just figured this would be easier and a TON cheaper to do then bolting in a 4bt or 6bt. What all is going to need to be integrated, other then getting the senders to work with gauges? The PMD I take it controls the fuel pump ? Bare with me as this 6.5 is new territory for me LOL so going to have to learn as I go. If the PCM is wired into the engine, trans, hooked to power, ground, fuel, will it function? Thanks alot.
The PCM will need to be wired to a few different things depending on wether it is OBD1 or OBD2. It will need tranny tail shaft speed sensor (should be in a full harness), ignition wiring, fuze box, relays, PCM will be looking for abs, OBD2 has security lock.

You will also have to change your fuel lines, 6.5's dont use an intank pump. Your intank pump will die and leave you stranded pretty quick running diesel. Walbro FRC10 from leroydiesel is an adequate lift pump, fass, AD, and other bigger name pumps are over kill. You can only flow about 40gph in a 6.5 so anything 15% over that is a waste.

6.5's dont make good low end torque, peak torque is ~2K-2200. A properly built 6.5 gets good torque ~1900 and carries it to ~2600.

The stock turbo kill mpg in a heavy low geared truck, it is out of its efficiency range over 2000 rpm. It causes alot of back pressure over that. This is where the recomendation for a bigger turbo comes in. With electronics I would get a tune, a custom PCM will also help eliminate some of the parameters the PCM is looking for.

PMD=Pump Mounted Driver. It tells the IP when to pulse pretty much. It does not like to get hot in the engine bay, Leroydiesel was one of the first guys making 6ft harnesses to relocate the PMD out of the engine bay. In most GMT 400 trucks we mount it behind the front license plate through the bumperhole. Behind the head light has adequate air flow though.

I dont know of many people that opt for electronic fuel control in an OBS, you will probably be a first and I cant wait to see the results.

Try starting a thread on thetruckstop.us. There are more experienced minds than my own over there. They specialize in 6.5's
Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Baltimore Whore

Ok, so far I got it all sorted. Shouldn't be a big deal at all. Waiting to hear back from my buddy as to the year and if it is mechanical or EFI. Thank you
Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Sounds good. It should get decent mpg's for you. Is this a crew cab dually? Maybe post some pics of the old beast...

Quick Reply: 6.5 turbo swap info needed on PCM ect ????