Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

8.1L questions/ suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.1L questions/ suggestions

few questions ill throw out here...

1) do these trucks and suv's have a fuel regulator? if so so where is it at and what did you all repalce it with. Ive got a 255 fuel pump, and have played with hp tuners... you can keep ading fuel and my wide band dones change.. its always 14.7-15.5 ideling, wideopen, crusing on the highway.. etc... its just sweeping.. never locks in on a digit just back and forth back and forth...

2) oil consumption... i know these like the oil, been 4 years now and its about a quart or two ever 3000-4000 miles... Well yesterday the light came on again after i had it serviced.. two quarts low, in 400 miles... So i put a quart in and a quart of lucus....

Im going with the idea they didnt put enough oil in when serviced becaue, it doesent leak and doesnt smoke... It does sometimes smell like oil if you leave it ideling and go in the a gas station for a dink or something, when you pull out get a wiff of oil... but no smoke...

3) If it is burning the oil, has anyone rebuilt it... i know tirerode a blow a few up but is there a company that just sale rings and such... Im pretty sure i dont have any damage to the motor.. still runs like the day i got... just the oil is doing some david coperfield **** on me...

4) if i do need to freshen up the motor any thing you all would change.. ive got a cam, springs, retainers, and push rods for the upper end that will go in if i ever get time to install my whipple... but as far as rods, pistons crank... any reason to change that.... I dont want to spend a lot of money on it... at the end of the day its still 8100 lbs or so the scales at the race tack say... so even with the above mentioned parts its going to be slow.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I think the regulator is on the drivers side rear of engine on the fuel rail. You said that you keep adding fuel but your WB says 14.7 to 15 or so. I am not sure where you are adding fuel but your fuel trims are going to correct back to stoich of approx 14.7 under idle and cruse type conditions. When you enter PE is when you should be adding fuel and these never get into pe with the factory tune. You need to adjust your PE tables to allow it to get into PE. I would recommend some more reading @ HPTuners forum, Greg Banish books, Masport speed shops master efi tuner book etc. before adjusting too many things. The learning curve is very steep but also rewarding.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, we have done the pe tables, and it doesnt change. over the years we have done cam and sts turbo set up on a ls1 camaro with grate results and a 5.3 sts turbo on a silverado... Im just wonddering if my regulator is having issues... With hp it will lean it out, but just will not ad
Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Have you posted up your tune file and data log over at hp tuners forum? I would love to see how the 01 compares to my 03. Not much info out there about these 496s. I have seen very good gains with tuning our 03 burb.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no i havent but thats a good idea...

I also havent redynoed it.. bone stock with 100K miles it did 225 whp and 311 lbtq but the tq was 311 from right off idle to red line... everyone said that was the torque management... ive deleted all that, drive line protection, and thorttle delay... Also added headers, and true dual 3" exhaust.. volant cold air intake, safari snokel, and electric fans... it doesnt feel any faster, but the tq is there all the time now. you have push in the seat feeling.. just doesnt go fast. lol... then again mine was 8150 on the scales with steel bumpers, which, and bead lock wheels...

The owner? or some one in the know on hp forums has or had a 8.1L in a avalanch he has helled me a few times... I also think my ecu has issues... you can do a tune, store it and in a few weeks it back to normal... This last go around it has stayed in the truck about 8 months so far.

Do you have 8.1L? if so what all is done to it...

I know gm rated the motors diffent over the years... first they where 340hp then they dropped it to 320.. not that 20 hp matter on something big..
Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Yes we have 03 suburban w/ 8.1 all stock with a flowmaster muffler and volant cai. My stock dyno pull was 259 hp and 356 tq after tune I was at 316 hp and 421 tq. I need to get it back on the dyno though because my afr was not correct so I have since done some more work on my maf and ve calibration.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ah good numbers!

My af was way off by the sniffer... showing like 16.X the hole time... it was also 95* that day and we are about 3K feet above sea level which all the die hard races says kills us...

which flow master are you running... i have the 70 series now and its freaking loud from 1200-2000 rpms then go to almost acceptiable with being a total redneck. Ive tried gibson, dynomax, and spintech.. the gibson sounded like air, just wind coming out no sound... the dynomax where almsot race car loud.. they only last a about 80 miles..
Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Teching In

I had a dual in dual out flowmaster 50 series suv put on. We are not real happy with it though and would like to change it out. Our complaint is that it seems too mild. My wife keeps telling me that she wants those punks in the ricers to know they just got spanked by a Big Block burb!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Down and out

The regulator is on the left rail as mentioned. I have an 02 HD with an 8100, I have SW long tubes, CAI, exhaust, E-fans and an HP tune. Honestly the power gains with all the work were minimal. My tuner is very proficent with HP tuners and im 100% confident he is doing a good quality tune. My truck just feels lazy, it has not responded well to any of the mods done. There was some talk from Raylar about the SW longtubes and 3" true duals with a Magnaflow X muffler being worth power and BIG gains in gas mileage, My truck is done exactly that way and I saw a very minimal power gain (not even close to justifying the cost of the headers/muffler/pipe) and NO difference in mileage even after a complete retune. This truck just get 10ish. Im getting ready to install a Comp Xr270HR cam in the next few weeks, If that dont wake it up I give up. If anybody has any suggestions im open. Mine burned alot of oil, I replaced the intake bolts per a GM tsb to an updated bolt 1 at a time and retorqued them (GM P.N. 12561518) that made a huge difference, it went from 1.5 qts. every 1000 to about 2 qts every 3000. I also switched to Maxlife Blend with 1 quart of lucas synthetec stabilizer and last oil change I went 4200 and only added 1.5 qts.

Does anybody Have an HP tuners file for a GOOD performing 8.1 that thay would be willing to share for comparison purposes?

Thanks for the advise on the trans to Kerr, I have been out of town for 9 days, hence no reply!

-Ryan
Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 180 thermostat supposedly helps with oil consumption. Also putting a breather on it can help, i blocked off my pcv as well.
The regulator should be on the rail at least mine is.
the later ones have them in the tank
I run mine speed density on a mega squirt so cant help on the tuning side

Quick Reply: 8.1L questions/ suggestions