Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

8 Lug stearing upgrades - 4wd launches - abuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8 Lug stearing upgrades - 4wd launches - abuse

I've been looking at ways to beef up the tie rods, arms, and center link

Here's a few that I hadn't seen yet.
Dmax billet MEGA tie rods.
Attached Thumbnails 8 Lug stearing upgrades - 4wd launches - abuse-billet%2520tierods.jpg   8 Lug stearing upgrades - 4wd launches - abuse-billet%2520tierods%25202.jpg   8 Lug stearing upgrades - 4wd launches - abuse-billet%2520tierods%25201.jpg  
Old 11-24-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's another . . .

http://www.exaxt.ca/steering_assembly.asp
Old 11-24-2009, 01:19 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
I like the idea of using a straight center link. Stonger, obviously, but looks to me like it would help to correct some tie rod angles on trucks with the torsion bars cranked.

Anybody ever seen something like this for 1/2 tons? I haven't.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run tie rod sleeves on my truck. Sureshot had a really nice Cognito set-up on his DMAX.It made a huge difference on that truck.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's pretty interesting, especially that thread in the diesel forum, i'm about to overhaul my entire front end steering components.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wastedrubber
that's pretty interesting, especially that thread in the diesel forum, i'm about to overhaul my entire front end steering components.
I'm in the same boat . . . I've killed 2 sets of tie rods with the stock motor, 1.5" crank, and 33's
Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not needed. I ran all the cognito upgrades in the front of my dmax on 35s with cranked bars, on a tune that put down 365/752. Thats spinning on rocks, mud hauling crap in the bed pulling trailers at the deer lease. Just dont be stupid and put your foot to the floor when spinning. Theres a fine line between using your truck and abusing your truck.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Not needed. I ran all the cognito upgrades in the front of my dmax on 35s with cranked bars, on a tune that put down 365/752. Thats spinning on rocks, mud hauling crap in the bed pulling trailers at the deer lease. Just dont be stupid and put your foot to the floor when spinning. Theres a fine line between using your truck and abusing your truck.
how long did you have that truck for, a year? i got probably a 100k more miles than your dmax had and i'm gonna be stuck with her for a few more years yet. the only problems i ever have with my truck are front end components, whether it be tie rods, pitman/idler arms/assemblies, all of it, regularly. it's damn frustrating. I tow fairly heavy loads frequently and that front end shake can pucker me up pretty good sometimes.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Teching In

what would you guys go with for up grades from Cognito the heim joint tie rods or the beefed up reguler ones?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wastedrubber
how long did you have that truck for, a year? i got probably a 100k more miles than your dmax had and i'm gonna be stuck with her for a few more years yet. the only problems i ever have with my truck are front end components, whether it be tie rods, pitman/idler arms/assemblies, all of it, regularly. it's damn frustrating. I tow fairly heavy loads frequently and that front end shake can pucker me up pretty good sometimes.
I had it a year and a half and put 40K on it. It had 110K on the odometer when I sold it.

Most of the time the people I see bitching about stuff not working on their vehicle are the ones trying to cut corners and be cheap.

I replaced ALL front end components at once and had no further problems with my front end. All of the steering components work together as one unit so to replace one part of it and neglect the other, it only stands to reason you are going to have problems. If replace the pitman/idler arms and the TREs are on their way out, its going to accelerate the wear on other parts.

I replaced the pitman/idler arms, cognito pitman/idler arm supports, went with the cognito idler pivot assembly and weld in gusset, cognito HD tie rods, and cognito UCAs to correct upper BJ angle. It wasnt cheap, I had almost 2K just into the front end without even lifting it. If you do it right you wont have problems period.

Id be willing to bet in the 40K I drove my truck it saw more abuse than yours did. My truck had the weight of a heavy diesel motor over the front in with twice the TQ you're making. I had crappy CV angles due to cranking and running heavy *** cast 20s with 35x12.5 mud terrains. I seriously doubt you put your front end through more abuse than I did unless you are going out with the intent to tear **** up. I guarantee you I towed more than the average person atleast 3-4 times a month. I took two 3K round trips pulling a 12K enclosed trailer for hunting and a 2K roundtrip pulling a 30' fifth wheel with a lowboy trailer behind it with my 74 bronco on it and honda foreman es. I used my truck out on my rocky *** deer lease extensively and helped my dad manage his 20K acre lease in the panhandle of Texas, so my truck saw a lot of offroad time. I didnt go mudding in it like a lot of people do but it did see its share of mud. I used my truck, I didnt abuse it.

I still stand by my comment, if you arent trying to tear up your truck and just use it, with the proper equipment(like what I installed) you wont have any more problems.

If you guys are going out mudding and beating the hell out of your truck of course your going to break ****.

Quick Reply: 8 Lug stearing upgrades - 4wd launches - abuse