Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

8 Lug stearing upgrades - 4wd launches - abuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbilly6.0
what would you guys go with for up grades from Cognito the heim joint tie rods or the beefed up reguler ones?
Dont get te heims, the joints wear out eventually. Go with the factory style beefy tie rods, they work awesome and are cheaper.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok sounds good thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I had it a year and a half and put 40K on it. It had 110K on the odometer when I sold it.

Most of the time the people I see bitching about stuff not working on their vehicle are the ones trying to cut corners and be cheap.

I replaced ALL front end components at once and had no further problems with my front end. All of the steering components work together as one unit so to replace one part of it and neglect the other, it only stands to reason you are going to have problems. If replace the pitman/idler arms and the TREs are on their way out, its going to accelerate the wear on other parts.

I replaced the pitman/idler arms, cognito pitman/idler arm supports, went with the cognito idler pivot assembly and weld in gusset, cognito HD tie rods, and cognito UCAs to correct upper BJ angle. It wasnt cheap, I had almost 2K just into the front end without even lifting it. If you do it right you wont have problems period.

Id be willing to bet in the 40K I drove my truck it saw more abuse than yours did. My truck had the weight of a heavy diesel motor over the front in with twice the TQ you're making. I had crappy CV angles due to cranking and running heavy *** cast 20s with 35x12.5 mud terrains. I seriously doubt you put your front end through more abuse than I did unless you are going out with the intent to tear **** up. I guarantee you I towed more than the average person atleast 3-4 times a month. I took two 3K round trips pulling a 12K enclosed trailer for hunting and a 2K roundtrip pulling a 30' fifth wheel with a lowboy trailer behind it with my 74 bronco on it and honda foreman es. I used my truck out on my rocky *** deer lease extensively and helped my dad manage his 20K acre lease in the panhandle of Texas, so my truck saw a lot of offroad time. I didnt go mudding in it like a lot of people do but it did see its share of mud. I used my truck, I didnt abuse it.

I still stand by my comment, if you arent trying to tear up your truck and just use it, with the proper equipment(like what I installed) you wont have any more problems.

If you guys are going out mudding and beating the hell out of your truck of course your going to break ****.
I had a snow plowing company which beats the hell out of trucks, truthfully i'm impressed it's done as well as it has. i used to put 2 ton of salt in the spreader in the bed (re-curved and added 2 leafsprings) as well as carrying a heavy *** plow on the front. you've got some impressive stories no doubt, and your right about the diesel, makes a hell of a difference, but this truck's been put through it's paces as well. I doubt in Texas you're too familiar with snowplowing, it wears some **** out in a hurry.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honetly think if you replace everything all at once you wont have any more problems. THere are a ton of guys over on dieselplace with the same setup as I had and have plow companys with no problems at all. I really think these trucks need all the upgrades to make them last in harsh conditions not just one or the other. I cant even begin to desrcibe how much better my truck drove and performed on and off road after doing those upgrades.

And you're right FABO of snow, Ill keep my *** in Texas.

Ironically enough, its suppose to snow here tomorrow
Old 12-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Go Cognito. I run the Cognito upper control arms, idler assembly, idler brace, Cognito OE style tie rods, pitman arm brace but stock centerlink. These front ends are hell on ball joints (or at least mine is) but going with the Cognito stuff has been the best for me. I offroad and trail ride my truck constantly. I have broken lots of **** over the years but this setup has been solid. This is basically the same set up as Duramax racers run minus the centerlink. I had to replace balljoints but the Cognito ones are simple bolt-ins and you're back on the road. If you've cranked your torsion bars, the ride will be amazingly better. The Cognito stuff is top notch. Replace the lower control arm bushings with Energy suspension stuff will also help the front on 4wd launches.

Last edited by ihdude; 12-24-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
I run tie rod sleeves on my truck. Sureshot had a really nice Cognito set-up on his DMAX.It made a huge difference on that truck.
I have always wondered about the tie rod sleeves for half tons. Im sure it wouldnt be a bad idea for me to get some of those since I tend to do boosted 4wd launchs. Where did you get those at?