Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

any 6.0 2500HD pulling travel trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any 6.0 2500HD pulling travel trailers?

any on here have a 2500HD 6.0 and pulling a travel trailer? wanting to know if they had issues pulling? im looking into some travel trailer and am really hoping that my 2500hd is enough to do the job, im looking at a 31ft TT bumper pull (not a fifthwheel), it says to weigh at about 5600-5800lb, the sales people say that even a 1/2ton truck can pull that trailer but they are sales people so i can believe all the bull , i've been told that for my truck i just need to stay under 10k lbs? i bought the truck from a friend about 8months ago and he pulled his 30ft TT with no problem (according to him).... would a 31ft be ok or should i go smaller around a 26ft that weighs in about 5k lb?

before some one says it, i know a diesel is better but im not going to get one, im sticking with what i have, i dont plan to make very long trips, pretty much just staying in texas.....
Old 06-10-2009, 08:21 PM
11 Second Truck Club

you won't have a problem with your 2500.
my inlaws just bought a trailer your size (ultra lite) and it is 1/2 ton pullable rated.
they have an 06 ccsb 4.slow...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AP, you could pull a trailer that weighs twice that much no problem, gas mileage is a whole nother story though. Make sure you get some sort of sway control otherwise you will be in for a not so fun tail wagging ride. Dont discount fifth wheels either, they pull and ride a hell of alot better. Ive pulled a 36' TT with my truck and a 39' fifth wheel and even though the fifth wheel was longer and weighed 4K more, it pulled a lot better especially with the crosswinds.

PS, get a Dmax
Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Launching!

You are good to go. I pull that much at least once a month with my truck, and she does just fine.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

I just had to include this little Red Neck method.

Class lll Hitch Install... (patent pending..)
Wouldn't you love to see how the trip went...? Good chance he ended up doin' some unintended off roadin' somewhere. Check the 'hills' in the background. Howja like to meet this rig on a two-lane road....coming down the mountain in your direction...?

hitched up and r eady to roll!! Amazin' how the extra weight smoothes out the ride.
Needed to air up the rear tires a bit ('bout 160 psi).

Added some super heavy-duty chain for extra support on the tailgate, (note the 'Heavy-Duty 'S' hooks to attach the chain) Also paid-up for some BIG Number 5/16 sheet metal screws to attach the Reese hitch frame to the tailgate (see 'em there? one on each side...) Likely two more through the carpet into the floor pan inside....
Yep, probably overkill, but didn't want the possibility of having an axerdent.

Most of the time was spent on the front porch whittling down that MASSIVE solid pine 4x4 to fit precisely down into the hole in the ball mount receiver.
Note also - The 14'x14' piece of 3/8' plywood on the underside of the tailgate to distribute the load more evenly and beef up that tailgate support.
'A MAN CAN'T BE TOO SAFE'....!!

They are out there, folks... and they vote...
Attached Thumbnails any 6.0 2500HD pulling travel trailers?-red-neck-trailer-1.5.jpg   any 6.0 2500HD pulling travel trailers?-red-neck-trailer-2.5.jpg   any 6.0 2500HD pulling travel trailers?-red-neck-trailer-3.jpg  
Old 06-11-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll be plenty fine . . .

Get a set of sway control bars. They are a must with long trailers. they're like traction bars, but they're "loaded" up with chains. The connect with the hitch itself, and then the bars are attached via chains to the tounge of the trailer. Don't get sold on the little "shock" absorber systems.

Electric brakes! they're a life saver when you need them in a panic. They help out big time on steap hills with stop lights at the bottom of hills. The tires that have the brakes on them will wear faster than the others.

When you go out on a trip, most places have water and electricity, so if you can, don't travel with the water tank full of water before you leave on a trip. Its lots of extra wieght that's not needed. Have a spare tire always ready, with a regular pump jack or bottle jack.

Get a set of party lights ! I'll leave the rest for you to find out . . . I used to go camping all the time when I was younger. Take some short trips to Huntsville for a first trip, there's a nice lake for fishing there.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes, im definately getting the sway control bars, and some kind of weight leveling device so that my truck wont sag on the rear? truck already has the electric brake hook-up... definately planning on making the first few trips short, never done this before so want to get a feel for it...
Old 06-11-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the rear get some helper bags. When their not "loaded" with air, is a stock ride. If you get the helper springs, it makes the ride more rough.

Make some local trips, and get used to pulling in gas stations. Make some high bridge passes. Go up the 610 ship channel bridge . . . and if you get brave try the beltway ship channel bridge.

Get used to braking,turning, and backing up . . . try out some school parking lots
Old 06-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Default 6.0 towing

pulled a same size TT with a 99 Light duty 2500 with 5.3. it did ok .
the 2500 s seem to like a bit of tongue weight so I wouldnt tighten the weight dist. too tight. but would add a friction style sway control, to cut down on the tail wagging. My travel trailer actually towed better after adding a topper shell to the bed. it cut down on the wind resistance from the trailer, and You may have to run in 3rd gear depending on the truck.
also I see a lot of people telling You to add helper springs or air bags. with this size trailer You most likely don`t need them.
presently I tow a 36 ft. 5th wheel with My 2500HD 8.1 allison the engine combo works well but I`m almost over My GVWR. good luck.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by labmousedb
pulled a same size TT with a 99 Light duty 2500 with 5.3. it did ok .
the 2500 s seem to like a bit of tongue weight so I wouldnt tighten the weight dist. too tight. but would add a friction style sway control, to cut down on the tail wagging. My travel trailer actually towed better after adding a topper shell to the bed. it cut down on the wind resistance from the trailer, and You may have to run in 3rd gear depending on the truck.
also I see a lot of people telling You to add helper springs or air bags. with this size trailer You most likely don`t need them.
presently I tow a 36 ft. 5th wheel with My 2500HD 8.1 allison the engine combo works well but I`m almost over My GVWR.
good luck.
The Duramax/8.1 trucks have another leaf in the spring pack and higher weight ratings, the 6.0 is rated 9200GVW and anywhere from 9800 to 10,300 on the trailer depending on configuration, the Duramax/8.1 are all 12,000lb trailer, and 9200 or 9900GVW depending on the configuration. Those are all bumper pull numbers, if you go 5th wheel the 6.0 stays the same while the duramax/8.1 increase up to somewhere around 15,000. I've towed over 10k with my 6.0 and have also exceeded the GVW many times, and it would be real nice to have some more spring capacity in the back.

Quick Reply: any 6.0 2500HD pulling travel trailers?