Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Any tips/suggestions for new diesel owner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:20 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammy Bono
I am hearing the short bed only has a 26 gallon fuel tank which seems way to small for these trucks
Check out Aero Tanks in San Bernardino, CA. They have a 48 gallon tank for the shortbed trucks, and a 53 or 62 gallon tank for the longbeds.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup sure is
Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I really need a tune...is that the same thing as a chip?
a "chip" is what they used to call them and a generic term for a tune/tuner. You can get a handheld like bully dog, edge, etc, but EFI live with the DSP5 switch is the way to go. Some of the guys out where who do tunes are amazing and will make it a completely different truck, even if your switching from a tuner to EFI live
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Got the truck today and found out quick that they bent the drive shaft lifting it with a fork lift at the yard. Now I get to chase down a part and spend more money on something that was not broken.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
Yup sure is
That's enough . Your not going to be a smart *** in my section, help out or stfu .

Sammy, welcome to the diesel world , you will be very happy with your truck , they have awesome power , excellent towing capability and great mpg, they do everything well.

First of all lets ID your truck, it bieng an 05' has the LLY DURAMAX engine with the 5 speed Allison ( it's auto right?) if not it will have. ZF 6 speed manual.

Here's my recommendations,
Use rotella 15w40 oil
Change the fuel filter every 10,000 miles
Change the Allison spin on filter every 10,000
Change the t case fluid once a year with fresh dex 6 trans fluid

Performance wise, get an EGR blocker plate
Install a turbo back exhaust
Get a cold air intake or mod the stock box
If you want a handheld tuner get a PPE Xcelerator, or for custom efi live tuning get from Idaho rob ( adrenaline truck performance)

Don't go over a 100 horse tune on a stock trans.
Also drain the trans fluid and replace with synthetic transynd.
Get EGT and boost gauges installed
Get a good lift pump

Enjoy one hell of fast heavy truck that will move mountains !
Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 773 Likes on 639 Posts

So I really need a tune...is that the same thing as a chip?
Originally Posted by nickleahy23
a "chip" is what they used to call them and a generic term for a tune/tuner. You can get a handheld like bully dog, edge, etc, but EFI live with the DSP5 switch is the way to go. Some of the guys out where who do tunes are amazing and will make it a completely different truck, even if your switching from a tuner to EFI live
Actually a "CHIP" is what the older PCM and ECU's used on the OBD1 equipped vehicles. It was a removable Prom chip that could be reflashed by pulling it out of the PCM/ECU. You needed a special adapter and software to read and write to it. It was referred to as "burning a chip".

They were used from the mid to late 80's up until the mid 90's in various cars and trucks.

As mentioned on a diesel the best thing you can do is get a custom tune that is done in person to tailor it to your driving habits and needs.

The DSP5 switch would be the best option as you can go from basically stock and turn it up as needed by the **** and then back to stock if you would like.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TIM Z
That's enough . Your not going to be a smart *** in my section, help out or stfu .

Sammy, welcome to the diesel world , you will be very happy with your truck , they have awesome power , excellent towing capability and great mpg, they do everything well.

First of all lets ID your truck, it bieng an 05' has the LLY DURAMAX engine with the 5 speed Allison ( it's auto right?) if not it will have. ZF 6 speed manual.

Here's my recommendations,
Use rotella 15w40 oil
Change the fuel filter every 10,000 miles
Change the Allison spin on filter every 10,000
Change the t case fluid once a year with fresh dex 6 trans fluid

Performance wise, get an EGR blocker plate
Install a turbo back exhaust
Get a cold air intake or mod the stock box
If you want a handheld tuner get a PPE Xcelerator, or for custom efi live tuning get from Idaho rob ( adrenaline truck performance)

Don't go over a 100 horse tune on a stock trans.
Also drain the trans fluid and replace with synthetic transynd.
Get EGT and boost gauges installed
Get a good lift pump

Enjoy one hell of fast heavy truck that will move mountains !
Yes it is a 2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with automatic trans and 6.6 liter turbo diesel engine. I am going to do my first oil change and will get the rotella 15w40. I am assuming I can pick that up at autozone? Special oil for diesel or is it all the same?

I am having a problem now as the truck was sitting at an auction yard. It started when they first got it but now the outside lights turn on and odometer displays the miles when we have jumper cables on it. The dash lights do not turn on and it does not start. I checked all fuses and nothing is blown. I posted this in another friend and I am desperate to get this going because it is my only daily driver now and with it out of commission I have to get rides everywhere. Thanks again for all your help and to add it came with a full exhaust system but I am not sure what kind.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:45 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it is a 2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with automatic trans and 6.6 liter turbo diesel engine. I am going to do my first oil change and will get the rotella 15w40. I am assuming I can pick that up at autozone? Special oil for diesel or is it all the same?

I am having a problem now as the truck was sitting at an auction yard. It started when they first got it but now the outside lights turn on and odometer displays the miles when we have jumper cables on it. The dash lights do not turn on and it does not start. I checked all fuses and nothing is blown. I posted this in another friend and I am desperate to get this going because it is my only daily driver now and with it out of commission I have to get rides everywhere. Thanks again for all your help and to add it came with a full exhaust system but I am not sure what kind.
If one battery is dead of the two the truck WILL NOT start , you need two fresh batteries. I've been there. Yep regular rotella 15 40 is what you want, I usually get it cheaper at Wally World .

Last edited by TIM Z; 10-26-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TIM Z
If one battery is dead of the two the truck WILL NOT start , you need two fresh batteries. I've been there. Yep regular rotella 15 40 is what you want, I usually get it cheaper at Wally World .
Thanks I will get to wal-mart to buy it if thats what you mean by wally world lol. Well I have two dead batteries and I am hoping thats the problem.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Teching In

So even with jumper cables on the battery if the outside lights are on and no dash lights and no power to starter not letting it crank it might just be the batteries?

Quick Reply: Any tips/suggestions for new diesel owner?