Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Diesel lift pump???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they do need lubricity too, trust me I understand that, and that's why I run the super-tech every fill-up. You said you're not convinced you need the extra filtration, and I gave the reason why most go with lift pumps with the filters. Your truck brother do what you wish, you got the money and time to dump into injectors go right ahead. Just saying I've read to many premature failures due to poor filtration and yes bad lubricity too. I won't chance it....
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've put basic gas pumps through a variety of fuel mixtures in my ol' 6.2L Diesel. My only issue was the 2-3psi that it put out, but it got my poor diesel through a winter without issue. I've since upgraded to a Carter 4070, but it's more of a 5-7psi range pump and might not be quite enough for a DMAX.

Just make sure it's wired in good to get as consistent voltage as possible. This will give more consistent performance and a generally longer life from electrical pumps.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001si3rr@
I hear ya, I run Super-Tech Outboard 2-Cycle TC-W3 engine oil one 16oz bottle per fill-up.
I rarely used my ol' 6.2 without TCW3, it was quieter and smoother in every regard compared to just straight fuel.

Luckily there are tons of high-performance sleds up here, so most every store was well stocked with many brands of TCW3 oil. Sometimes I'd spring for the synthetic when the weather dipped below -40...but I don't know if it was necessary .
Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Koots
I've put basic gas pumps through a variety of fuel mixtures in my ol' 6.2L Diesel. My only issue was the 2-3psi that it put out, but it got my poor diesel through a winter without issue. I've since upgraded to a Carter 4070, but it's more of a 5-7psi range pump and might not be quite enough for a DMAX.

Just make sure it's wired in good to get as consistent voltage as possible. This will give more consistent performance and a generally longer life from electrical pumps.
From what I can find the 5-7 psi would work fine on a stock to mild built dmax. The fass and the airdogg are both regulated to about 7psi on the smaller pumps. And the other thing to consider is to put an oil pressure switch in the system like the name brand pumps do if you want to or put it on a keyswitched relay system.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001si3rr@
Yes they do need lubricity too, trust me I understand that, and that's why I run the super-tech every fill-up. You said you're not convinced you need the extra filtration, and I gave the reason why most go with lift pumps with the filters. Your truck brother do what you wish, you got the money and time to dump into injectors go right ahead. Just saying I've read to many premature failures due to poor filtration and yes bad lubricity too. I won't chance it....
I thought it was a no no to run 2 Stroke oil with our high pressure injection systems ? I was told not to use that or trans fluid in a common rail setup .

Would be cheaper though , it's what I use in my John deer 3 cyl.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In the summer time I use 2 cycle oil, and it works great for me. Quiets the injectors, and seems to be a little peppier too. But that could just be my imagination....

Since the 2 cycle oil won't help with fuel gelling or waxing, I run the blue bottle Stanadyne Performance Formula during the winter.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 2 stroke oil in summer too never had a problem
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
In the summer time I use 2 cycle oil, and it works great for me. Quiets the injectors, and seems to be a little peppier too. But that could just be my imagination....

Since the 2 cycle oil won't help with fuel gelling or waxing, I run the blue bottle Stanadyne Performance Formula during the winter.
Originally Posted by ltr450ryder
I use 2 stroke oil in summer too never had a problem
Well I will have to look into that ! Thanks for sharing , the Lucas additive I run gets pricey using it all the time .
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Well I will have to look into that ! Thanks for sharing , the Lucas additive I run gets pricey using it all the time .
What Lucas additive are you using?

If it's the top end cleaner, I hear that it can potentially reduce lubricity, based on this independent test I saw on another forum:

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

I can remember seeing this in PDF format somewhere, but my old computer crashed and I can't find the original document anywhere...so that will have to do.

It's surprising how high TCW3 oil is on this list for fuel lubricity, which is why I used it heavily in my old 6.2 (in which the IP is lubricated by fuel only)
Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by Koots
What Lucas additive are you using?

If it's the top end cleaner, I hear that it can potentially reduce lubricity, based on this independent test I saw on another forum:

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

I can remember seeing this in PDF format somewhere, but my old computer crashed and I can't find the original document anywhere...so that will have to do.

It's surprising how high TCW3 oil is on this list for fuel lubricity, which is why I used it heavily in my old 6.2 (in which the IP is lubricated by fuel only)
Koots, I use the Lucas fuel treatment , spose to be pretty good stuff.

Quick Reply: Diesel lift pump???