Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Differences between LLY and LMM

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
If it's an 05, there is no way it's an LMM. The LMM is the latest motor from GM and was only sold from about mid 07 to present. 05 will only be a LLY. Now in 06/07, when the LBZ motors came out, there where some motor labeled as LLY motors put in the vans but where really LBZ motor with the LBZ computer (Bosch instead of Delphi) I believe, but detuned because they were in the vans. The LLY's in the vans are are the same motor as in the truck, but with less rated power via the tuning. From what I have read on the dieselplace.com, is that flashing in a truck tune doesn't seem to work very well and causes problems and sometime doesn't run at all. But with software like EFILive, you can just change the fuel and boost tables in the stock tunes and make as much power as you want with the van motor. Stock LLY motor will make more power then either the 4l80 or the Alison can handle
Okay, so my buddy was getting the motors wrong. So basically he wants to know if you can turn an LLY into an LBZ, but like you said, it could probably be an LBZ anyway. So we'll see when it comes down to it. Thanks for the info bro.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gmforlife
Okay, so my buddy was getting the motors wrong. So basically he wants to know if you can turn an LLY into an LBZ, but like you said, it could probably be an LBZ anyway. So we'll see when it comes down to it. Thanks for the info bro.
actually, although the LLY and LBZ look basically the same I've been told many things don't interchange. Right or wrong, don't change what it is, just get a tune for what it is. You can make an LLY have the same power as an LBZ, LMM, etc. It's all in the tune, and tuning the Duramax engine brings big rewards.
Jody
Old 01-20-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camcojb
actually, although the LLY and LBZ look basically the same I've been told many things don't interchange. Right or wrong, don't change what it is, just get a tune for what it is. You can make an LLY have the same power as an LBZ, LMM, etc. It's all in the tune, and tuning the Duramax engine brings big rewards.
Jody
Yah, now i know it's all in the tune, considering the motors are pretty much exactly the same. I'm just doing as much research as i can, and i will be tuning the truck myself, just the diesel is much different than gas.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gmforlife
just the diesel is much different than gas.
Ya, only a lot easier to make stupid power!

Wish I could flash a tune to my truck that adds 100hp
Old 01-20-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

or 200, or 250, or......................

Jody
Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Yah isn't that the truth. Well thanks for all the input, i appreciate it.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:23 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah those guys are right and 05 lly and 06 lbz have many different parts, like 06's have programmable injectors and 05 lly's are plug and play. lmm are lbz's but emissions versions. the new one's have a throttle plate, egr upgrades, dpf with the pilgrim shot gun tip, and several other things that I can't think of at the moment. I mostly work medium duty but run a light duty van or truck ticket from time to time. the van lly's are detuned, you may have to do hp or efi live cause the 4l80 tune is in with the dmax tune. the allison is on a seperate computer I think. the md trucks are seperate. other than that good luck. put it in a 1500 rcsb
Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fastrt
yeah those guys are right and 05 lly and 06 lbz have many different parts, like 06's have programmable injectors and 05 lly's are plug and play. lmm are lbz's but emissions versions. the new one's have a throttle plate, egr upgrades, dpf with the pilgrim shot gun tip, and several other things that I can't think of at the moment. I mostly work medium duty but run a light duty van or truck ticket from time to time. the van lly's are detuned, you may have to do hp or efi live cause the 4l80 tune is in with the dmax tune. the allison is on a seperate computer I think. the md trucks are seperate. other than that good luck. put it in a 1500 rcsb
Yah, starting to understand all this diesel **** now. Okay, i guess i'll have to say what the project is. My buddy wants to put the d-max in a H2. So since the Ally is gonna have clearance issues, he wants to build up a 4l80 to the max, and run the d-max on that. Since the d-max already comes with a 4l80 attached in a van, he's just gonna buy a van and rip all of the driveline out. So i'm gonna do some testing and farting around with the d-max tune and see what i can do, this is a test project for the both of us, so if we f$%& it up then it's not a big deal, the customer he is doing this swap for is loaded, so both me and my buddy are gonna see what we can do. So that's the project, and i think we are gonna have fun with it. I don't think i'm gonna just swap in another tune, i'm gonna actually tune it from current condition and see what results i get, i've got nothin to lose.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I highly suggest you go over to dieselplace and start reading, no need to screw some stuff up when a little reading could have avoided the situation entirely. Remember the 80e will have to have the 4wd output shaft swapped on and the input gear swapped out in the tcase. There are a couple dmax h2s out there, if you search the net Im sure you can find some helpful hints. In this months diesel power there is a black dmax h2 you might could use osme of the contact info to pick their brain. Good luck and keep us posted, Im highly interested in how it drives. Its how Gm should have made teh H2 to begin with
Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

well actually i the lly can be modded alot more than the lbz but the lbz has the 6 gear ally oppesed to 5 but you can do the suncoast tranny and have it which you will need with big power anyhow

Quick Reply: Differences between LLY and LMM