Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Help me purchase the right tow rig.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a duramax and be done with it.

Have the best interior, best drivetrain, and be done with it.

Dont waste your money on a piece of **** dodge.

If you want good info on a on duramax from a guy who actually owns one PM me your number, we will talk.

I bought my Dmax Brand new in late 06', 72,000 miles later not ONE Isssue!!!!

I pull my tractor around, my dads 28' enclosed car hauler, what ever i want , with power and grunt to pass traffic with ease, up mountains no prob 85-90 mph. I fuking love it.

Dont struggle with a gas 2500 hd, they are turds for towing, ask me, my brother has an 04 6.0 CCSB and it cant come close to hanging when we tow, i always have to wait for him when we both tow and we pull hills.

Plus i get better MPG than his truck, loaded and unloaded.

You can get a nice Duramax for under 20,000, just have to look around, I reccomend 04.5 and up models, They are all pretty much bullet proof.

Now who else here actually owns a diesel that can comment???
Old 09-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIM Z

You can get a nice Duramax for under 20,000, just have to look around, I reccomend 04.5 and up models, They are all pretty much bullet proof.
I was looking for an 05-07 because I heard after 07 there was some new emissions thing that had problems or reduced power. Plus I want to keep the purchase price under $20k so I can just trade in my GTO for it
Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I hop your not talking about a cummins like that And an f250s interior is the biggest and best material by far. IFS sucks...

Basically they all have their strong points and weak points.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 AM

IFS is?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want good info on a on duramax from a guy who actually owns one PM me your number, we will talk.

I bought my Dmax Brand new in late 06', 72,000 miles later not ONE Isssue!!!!

I pull my tractor around, my dads 28' enclosed car hauler, what ever i want , with power and grunt to pass traffic with ease, up mountains no prob 85-90 mph. I fuking love it.

Dont struggle with a gas 2500 hd, they are turds for towing, ask me, my brother has an 04 6.0 CCSB and it cant come close to hanging when we tow, i always have to wait for him when we both tow and we pull hills.

Plus i get better MPG than his truck, loaded and unloaded.

Now who else here actually owns a diesel that can comment???
well said tim well said. my old man has a 2010 dirtymax and that this is just a straight beast.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
IFS is?
Chevy is the only one with independent front suspension. You have tons of extra parts like ball joints, cv shafts, ect... they're always breaking and going out of alignment.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Well Tim as you know I've owned a Dmax and loved it but for his criteria its not the best option. It I was in his shoes I'd find a higher mileage 05 cummins megacab. The problem with a 20k 05-07 Dmax is that in that price range you're going to be well over 100k and even the lbzs are having injector problems when towing decently heqvy in the heat. The cheapest you can find a set of the new Bosch injectors with the protective coating to cure the problem is 2500 and that's a steal and not installed. Not to mention he will have to get a damn near stripped model to get the jumpseat and its got a small cab.

An 01-02 Ford 7.3 would be a good choice but one that isn't ragged to **** and got a million miles on it are used to find. My dads 02 has 188k on it towing a 20k 5er all over the us with only a crank sensor and starter replaced. I hate the 4 speed trans though and lack of power compared to the newer diesels. They're as reliable as they come but are slow, don't get that great of mileage and generally underpowered til you dump some money into them.

If the dodges weren't so ugly and I didn't need atleast a 6.5' bed I'd be picking up a megacab myself. I love the new dodge crew cabs but they're out of my price range.

When it comes time for me to buy another diesel(hopefully this time next year) it will probably be an 08-09 Ford 6.4. You can fit 35s with just a coil spacer, they tow better(about 1k heavier so more stable), have a lot more interior room, stronger transmission and IMO better looking interior/exterior. The only unknown is the engine which if you get one with lower miles and delete the egr and the dpf they're ectually pretty damn reliable its the emissions bs that hurts them.

Fact of the matter is whether any of the gm guys want to admit it, gm is falling behind. The duramax engine is awesome but the rest of the truck is severely lacking imo and now with a lot of the dmaxs having injector problems with higher miles and towing heavy and hot the injector return rates are putting them into rep mode. Ask stock48 he swaps out a set a week at the dealership.

Unfortunately IMO it seems none of the manufacturers have it "all", you're going to have to decide what is most important to you. Personally I'd sell your tahoe, play with your goat and have more dough to throw down on a newer diesel. If I had 40k to burn I'd probably buy a new dodge crew cab, the new Ford 6.7 is too new and the lml isn't ever going to have any real tuning options(efi won't support the new computer) besides the fact that its still a small truck.

Just all depends on how much you really want to spend and what aspects are really important to you. For me its interior space(got a kid and will have two more), reliability(imo all fairly close once emissions bs is deleted), ability to fit 35s, and looks. I don't care about speed so much anymore so the Ford being a bit slower than its counterparts doesn't bother me, but it can put down 500+ to the wheels all day long on the stock trans. An Allison will like its guts on the first pull at that level.

I've been researching diesel options all over the net and talking to locals so I'm pretty well versed in all of em if you've got any questions.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Excuse some of the mistakes I typed that on my phone, oh and DO NOT get a gas truck. They suck for towing, that's why I'm going back to diesel.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM

I thought the Allisons were supposed to be strong? Like a 4L80 on steroids. If it cant take 500rwtq then what's it doing in a diesel package?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:48 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Well Tim as you know I've owned a Dmax and loved it but for his criteria its not the best option. It I was in his shoes I'd find a higher mileage 05 cummins megacab. The problem with a 20k 05-07 Dmax is that in that price range you're going to be well over 100k and even the lbzs are having injector problems when towing decently heqvy in the heat. The cheapest you can find a set of the new Bosch injectors with the protective coating to cure the problem is 2500 and that's a steal and not installed. Not to mention he will have to get a damn near stripped model to get the jumpseat and its got a small cab.

An 01-02 Ford 7.3 would be a good choice but one that isn't ragged to **** and got a million miles on it are used to find. My dads 02 has 188k on it towing a 20k 5er all over the us with only a crank sensor and starter replaced. I hate the 4 speed trans though and lack of power compared to the newer diesels. They're as reliable as they come but are slow, don't get that great of mileage and generally underpowered til you dump some money into them.

If the dodges weren't so ugly and I didn't need atleast a 6.5' bed I'd be picking up a megacab myself. I love the new dodge crew cabs but they're out of my price range.

When it comes time for me to buy another diesel(hopefully this time next year) it will probably be an 08-09 Ford 6.4. You can fit 35s with just a coil spacer, they tow better(about 1k heavier so more stable), have a lot more interior room, stronger transmission and IMO better looking interior/exterior. The only unknown is the engine which if you get one with lower miles and delete the egr and the dpf they're ectually pretty damn reliable its the emissions bs that hurts them.

Fact of the matter is whether any of the gm guys want to admit it, gm is falling behind. The duramax engine is awesome but the rest of the truck is severely lacking imo and now with a lot of the dmaxs having injector problems with higher miles and towing heavy and hot the injector return rates are putting them into rep mode. Ask stock48 he swaps out a set a week at the dealership.

Unfortunately IMO it seems none of the manufacturers have it "all", you're going to have to decide what is most important to you. Personally I'd sell your tahoe, play with your goat and have more dough to throw down on a newer diesel. If I had 40k to burn I'd probably buy a new dodge crew cab, the new Ford 6.7 is too new and the lml isn't ever going to have any real tuning options(efi won't support the new computer) besides the fact that its still a small truck.

Just all depends on how much you really want to spend and what aspects are really important to you. For me its interior space(got a kid and will have two more), reliability(imo all fairly close once emissions bs is deleted), ability to fit 35s, and looks. I don't care about speed so much anymore so the Ford being a bit slower than its counterparts doesn't bother me, but it can put down 500+ to the wheels all day long on the stock trans. An Allison will like its guts on the first pull at that level.

I've been researching diesel options all over the net and talking to locals so I'm pretty well versed in all of em if you've got any questions.
good post chief.

Quick Reply: Help me purchase the right tow rig.