Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Looking to buy a Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Duramax

ok so heres the deal, im looking to buy a duramax chevy or gmc, and i like the 06 style chevys and gmcs and i like the nnbs gmcs only, so what im asking is what do you guys think of the motors on both nbs and nnbs trucks as in what your expierence has brought you in these trucks and what mods can be done to them, i know a thing or two about diesels and im mostly going to use the truck as a daily driver when i go to the ranch but i want it to run aswell when i take it to the track. so in your own thoughts what motors are good and durable etc etc..
thanks in advance
ricky
Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Teching In

i have an 06 ccsb with the LBZ engine and i LOVE it, i have 5in turbo back exhaust and thats about it as far as performance mods, sounds good drives great more power than i need, good fuel mileage about 17mpg with bigger wheels and tires and even better with closer to stock tires and wheels....i can not even thing of any complaints....its a great truck as any GM would be if you take care of it.... i do agree with you as far as the nnbs gmcs looking better from the front asleast the fender body lines are a little different to me i guess
Randy
Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Launching!

thanks randy anyone else have opinons and so forth??..
Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

my dad has an 06 k2500 crew short with the lbz...i love that thing. bitchin truck. and none of the tricky emissions crap like the nnbs trucks.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

I Have research for a very long time, finally pulled the trigger last night. 2007 GMC Sierra "Classic" LBZ with 6sp Alli. Wasn't really looking for a lifted one, but ended up with one that is lifted 6 1/2 with 35s, full exhaust, boost controller, programmer etc. I have not tried the programmer yet and she has tons of power, can't go wrong with the '06 - '07 Duramax.

d
Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your New ride DanV, youll love it!

To the O.P.

Both Trucks you are looking at are great.

The 07.5 and up is a LMM motor, and has the DPF ( diesel particulate filter)

07 classic and down doesnt.

If you Buy a 07.5 or newer, you'll want to ditch the factory DPF/exhaust and you'll need a tuner , preforably EFI live to disable any codes.

My Advice, be cause ive been down this road is:

Either truck is awesome, Your Mods are going to be:

Custom EFI LIVE Tuning, dont waste time/ money on a programmer.

Exhaust, just a Simple Turbo Back 4'' kit is great, Ditch the Cat and muffler ( which is what a turbo back kit will do with the addition of a muffler delete pipe.

With the 6 speed Ally Definitley do a TRANSGO JR shift kit. This will help your trans hold more power, but for BIG BIG power you'll need a built trans converter.

The stock 6 speed ally can handle about 100 horse over stock, then your chancing it.

Dont waste money on a CAI, look on PPE's ( Pacific performance engineering) website and they have a free air box mod that will flow all the air you need.

Lift pump ( AIR DOG 2 ) is a great addition as it will keep your CP3 pump ( fuel pump) supplied with constant fuel pressure and your truck will run stronger.

Get an EGR blocker plate, keeps oil junk from dirty ing up your enging.

Check out Duramax diesels .com , VERY FRIENDLY people who will get you set up right the first TIME!!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got a edelbrock downpipe back 4 inch exhuast for that beast lol
Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
i got a edelbrock downpipe back 4 inch exhuast for that beast lol
'

HAHAHAHA!!! So does Edelbrock . com!!! But you already know that BadAss.

I'm looking at a 2006-2007 ECSB 4x4 SLT as well. I just don't know if I can part with my current truck.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

My DD is a 08 GMC duramax with the LMM first thing i did was ditch all the emissions and DPF exaust. I installed a 5in Magnaflow exaust custom, EFI Tune to ditch emissions and stacked a Bully Dog PMT to adjust power levels. Probably going to junk the Bully Dog and just do EFI Live files since they got a 5-Way adjust on the fly switch for the trucks now for different tunes. My truck can pull anything I hook to and average around 19 on hwy and 14-15 in town.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bad apple, how fast is your truck now with those mods, and can the dealer tell that youve had a tune on that truck if you go in for warrenty work

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Duramax