Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Need Dmax Advice-Lookin at used with 130K miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Dmax Advice-Lookin at used with 130K miles

Kinda stumbled upon a used 06 GMC Sierra 2500 D-Max. Seriously thinking about going to look at it sometime between this Friday and Monday. The truck is an ECSB, 4x4 SLT, all the bells and whistles. It has 131K miles on the odometer. Been looking at Cummins and P-Strokes, but after reading cummins tranny issues and well P-strokes everything issues, thinking a Dmax might be better for me.

The truck would be my daily driver, put about 20-25K miles a year on my vehicles. Trying to see if I can get it with an extended warranty, but should there be any worries about getting a DD Dmax with 131K miles on it. Other than regular maintenance issues, what are some of the things I should look out for. Mainly questions about tranny issues????

Also, I should note that the asking price is very damn nice, which is why I'm considering it.

PS: just looked up the vin and its an LBZ if that helps

Last edited by BLACKND; 11-26-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you do a history check on it? go to the GM general discussion area here on pt.net and give the vin# to "Torquewrench" he will look up the service history for you.... i just purchased a 07 classic LBZ and am loving it.... over on the diesel website the LBZ is the preferred diesel in GM... curtis, other than maybe having to do alittle of suspension work if needed, it shouldnt be problem..... by the way i looked around and it was hard to find ext. warranty for mine.... GM wanted $3500 for 3yr/36kmile warranty!!! that is nuts!!!! i feel comfortable not purchasing it especially after i saw the service history report.... so im taking my chances....
by the way, i was also looking for a powerstroke at first so i did alot of reading on all diesels and the duramax seemed to be the best fit for me.....

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

alot of great info here...
Old 11-27-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

only real issue with the LBZ is when you start trying to make more then 600hp with them they typically don't like it but other then that i havent heard of any complains about them outta any of my friends that have them good luck man
Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

AP, was wondering how you liked yours. This one is a Classic Sierra also. I sent a vin check request to the guys on Dieselplace.com last night.

As far as adding power to it, my only real plans would be for an exhaust, air intake, and a mild tune. Wanting to keep it at that, like I said, it would be a daily driver, and used to pull a 3 horse trailer now and then. Heaviest load would probably be about 8-9K pounds....

I was really leaning toward a cummins. But after reading all the horror stories about the auto transmissions in those things, I just really started to look else where.
We bought my wife an 07 6.0 powerstroke about 6 months ago, so far its done nicely. We are going to keep it completely stock, I've read the P-strokes are good until you start adding power to them generally.

I'm not planning on adding a ton of power to the truck, but a few mild mods, sounds like the duramax is the best option out there for me. Going to try and see if I can deal with the guys. And with the price of the truck, I still may opt for a $3500 ext warranty.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

this guy is alot more helpful and faster than the one over on the diesel place forum..
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...392268&page=45

im really surprised at the power these trucks have stock, that i have no intention to modding it, read up on over there, most say that the stock intake is good if you are going to keep it mild..... only thing ill be doing to it is a cat delete, other than that its staying like it is... i dont want to turn it into a toy like the rest!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ap2002
this guy is alot more helpful and faster than the one over on the diesel place forum..
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...392268&page=45

im really surprised at the power these trucks have stock, that i have no intention to modding it, read up on over there, most say that the stock intake is good if you are going to keep it mild..... only thing ill be doing to it is a cat delete, other than that its staying like it is... i dont want to turn it into a toy like the rest!
I'll send him the vin, actually found another one too that I might look at, less miles a little more money, but its a crew cab 4x4, and its alot closer.

I hear ya on the power. I really only want to do an exhaust for the sound. Actually I'd just be happy with a muffler swap, triming the tailpipe short so its kinda hidden and doing a cat delete kit. The intake, I'll have to look into. I'm sure there are mods to the stock airbox that can be done, like on the gassers and maybe just a filter and intake tube swap. Then just a mild tuner and some gauges and I'd be done.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Test drive anything yet?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In june I purchased a 131k mile 2007 2500 LBZ for what I thought was a good deal. Right after buying it I had to replace both batteries 195.00, alternator 500.00, and just recent an Injector 600.00. I did all the work myselfe, If I had taken it to the stealership I would have spent some serious $$$ on this truck. Other than that I love the truck, has great power, and trans shifts great.

Moral of the story if you buy a high milage diesel be prepaired to work on it a little. Parts are expensive but if you do the labor your selfe it's not too bad. Most common problems with the LBZ's are egr, fan clutch, leaky trans cooler lines. And like all HD's weel bearing, and steering can be a problem.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the wheel bearings and all steering components. You wont regret getting one Curtis, I regret selling mine every day. I will be in another as soon as I financially can
Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Launching!

duramax all the wayy

Quick Reply: Need Dmax Advice-Lookin at used with 130K miles