Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Need some Transfer Case help: NP263 specific or generic

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Transfer Case help: NP263 specific or generic

This will turn out to be a super long post, but I figured it'd be better to get all my questions/concerns out at once rather than spreading them throughout a thread.

I bought a 2002 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L/4L80E 4x4 last week. I knew it had transfer case issues; in fact, they had already pulled it out and we just towed the truck over to the garage.

So I looked into the rebuilts and just wasn't impressed with the value, and I thought I'd give this project a DIY try. I've gotten pretty much everything taken apart and documented how it goes back together via the digicam. I'll throw in pictures where I hope they'll be useful. The full gallery for this project is here: http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...5Spider/NP263/
However I have about 200 more for personal use. If you want to see anything else, just let me know and I'll upload it. Also, even if you can't help with everything if you can help anywhere along the way feel free to chime in!
Thanks

General Questions/Observations

First,

The case has a rebuilt tag on it. It also shows signs of repaired pump rub. And now it's got a chunk missing from the access hole for the snap ring, so I'm ordering a new rear case.

Rebuilt Tag

Cracked Case and Repaired Pump Rub

Do you think something would have shot out of the case to cause that hole? Or more likely I think is that it was caused by someone previously trying to remove the snap ring? But if it wasn't properly sealed, dirt/debris had access to get into the case and ruin the internals.

Speaking of snap rings, this thing has a lot, but for some reason this particular unit had 3 half-way installed in the access port. I'm not sure if someone tried to open it up and put it back together improperly since its been out of the truck or if it was rebuilt improperly or what. Any thoughts?

Check this out:

Name:  P1000988Medium.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  46.8 KB

I'm also not sure if I'm missing a bracket. I guess they just hold wiring harnesses? I don't know because I didn't take this stuff out of the truck, but several online articles for the "pump rub fix" show three brackets. Is that maybe a 261 or 263XHD only thing? Or if I am missing one, what's it for and does anyone have a P/N?

Here's the ones I have

I can't figure out how to remove the needle bearings from both the planetary gear:

Planetary Gear Needle Bearing
Or the Rear Case:

Rear Case

Rear Case #2

Cleaning

I can't find any specific instructions. Is there anything I need to pay particular attention to? Anything I should avoid cleaning? What should I use? Simple Green? Brake Parts Cleaner? Degreaser? Or some other solvent? Is it worth having anything hot tanked? After cleaning, I heard maybe to rinse and dry with shop air. I don't have immediate access to compressed air. Is it something I can substitute or should I go track some down?

Inspection

I'm having trouble deciding which hard parts show significant enough wear to warrant replacement. Partly, I haven't spent enough time playing with things to understand each part's purpose. So I may be way overboard and overcritical on some of these. Or I may have a trashed set of parts. I tried to take some pictures of my concern spots. Please elevate or dismiss my concerns.

The tailshaft bushing was toast. I wanted to mention that first in case that has a tendency to ruin other stuff.

It's mangled on the bottom from removing:
Name:  P1010230Medium.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  36.4 KB

After removal; marred on top from removal

Installed from Seal end

Installed from Seal end #2

Installed but with seal removed

Some metal flakes from the bushing

Here's the other tell-tale wear items for reference.

Oil Filter

Sludgy Magnet with flakes

The Range fork inserts were out of place and started melting. I could see this being a problem during operation. But I think new fork pads should be okay if I can find them.

How I found it

Name:  P1010100Medium.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  58.6 KB

Removed from case

However I'm slightly concerned with the machining/burring here:
Center Left like between where the end and center insert go

The reluctor wheel has a nick in it. It's possible it's supposed to be there, but either way, does it pose a problem?

Reluctor Wheel Nick

The shafts are also not as smooth as I'd like.

Name:  P1010070Medium.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  67.5 KB

That's the output shaft, right? Is that nicked bad enough to throw things out of balance?

And this one:

Name:  P1010257Medium.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  47.7 KB

What is this called?

And it looks marred up?

I think the spikes are intended to be there, but the rest looks marred. And the planetary where it rides has some sludge as seen in the picture of the needle bearing.

Speaking of sludge, this thing, whatever it is, was also covered in it.

Does the oil pump look reusable? I was planning on replacing it, but it looks pretty good to me. The clip (on the far right) is different than any others I've seen in pictures. Is it the "fix" GM tried to offer as a redesign? I plan on using one of the aftermarket fixes anyways (plate or pump housing).

This plate has one nick in it, but I'm not that worried about it

Does this one look normal?

This piece has a nick in it. Here's another view.

And this piece has all sorts of burrs and imperfections:
Name:  P1010183Medium.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  42.9 KB

Here

Here

Here

Here

And here

And finally, this thing looks kinda like a clutch like material. It seems to be in good shape though.

Reinstallation

For reassembly, I can use Vaseline just like in a transmission right? Where do I need to make sure to lubricate? Or not lubricate? I read I should prime the pump with a little ATF. Anywhere else that needs Dexron while I'm putting her back together?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bonus Points

And if you just want to see some more internal shots or look for anything else abnormal, I uploaded some I didn't need to reference in the post:

Cover off

Tailshaft Shot, typical pump rub damage shot. You can see the interior repairs done on this case

Mode fork

Case opened up

Not sure what this is but it looks cool.

Long shaft still intact

Long shaft stripped