Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

pressure reief valve shimming

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question pressure reief valve shimming

Does anyone have any info/how to available on shimming the fuel pressure relief valve on an 05 LLY. thanks.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not a good idea on a DMax.. You'll blow you're rails for sure. Best bet is a pressure box, either from Edge or PPE
Old 11-09-2006, 08:33 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please explain why you would want to do this. I see PPE sells A fuel shim kit.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

All it does is keep your pressure relief valve for your rail closed to a higher pressure so your injectors spray more fuel. It can be done to the Cummins as well, but you increase wear on the injectors and injection pump, plus run the risk of cracking your rail or blowing up an injector..
Old 12-27-2006, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
All it does is keep your pressure relief valve for your rail closed to a higher pressure so your injectors spray more fuel. It can be done to the Cummins as well, but you increase wear on the injectors and injection pump, plus run the risk of cracking your rail or blowing up an injector..
That is false.

It fixes the rail psi loss problem on the LLY ensuring you don't set a 1093 code when pulling out to pass. A 1093 code limits you to 2K RPM and can be very dagerous in a passing situation. The only other fix is to install lift pumps and make sure you change your fuel filter often. Many people have shimmed the rail and had great results. I have never heard of a failure related to shimming a rail, although it "could happen". A failure is very unlikely. Some people have plugged the relief with a PPE kit and added a second CP3 without issue.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Olson
That is false.

It fixes the rail psi loss problem on the LLY ensuring you don't set a 1093 code when pulling out to pass. A 1093 code limits you to 2K RPM and can be very dagerous in a passing situation. The only other fix is to install lift pumps and make sure you change your fuel filter often. Many people have shimmed the rail and had great results. I have never heard of a failure related to shimming a rail, although it "could happen". A failure is very unlikely. Some people have plugged the relief with a PPE kit and added a second CP3 without issue.
Why risk a few thousand $ in injectors when a simle $400 fueling box can do the same thing without raising pressures to unsafe levels. Its a good mod, dont get me wrong, but its better left for people who are racing or sled pulling only..
Old 12-27-2006, 05:23 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Why risk a few thousand $ in injectors when a simle $400 fueling box can do the same thing without raising pressures to unsafe levels. Its a good mod, dont get me wrong, but its better left for people who are racing or sled pulling only..
What type of "fueling box " are you talking about? Please elaborate.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure what he means by "fueling box" but adding more fuel to the duramax without pumps or shims is what causes the 1093 code to come up. Shimming the valve is the cheap way to fix the problem, most people even shim them when they have lift pumps. I have twin Kennedy pumps with no shim and still can get a 1093 every now and then, so I plan on shimming the valve soon.

I don't think you should have a problem with the hypertech, but if you start building big tunes now the EFI live is out for the LBZ, you are going to want to shim and add pumps.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TIM Z
What type of "fueling box " are you talking about? Please elaborate.
Like the ones I mentioned a few posts earlier. Hell, if you want to get real cheap, get Don Morrisons Hot Box for $300.. Quick and easy 65 hp
Old 12-28-2006, 02:47 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Like the ones I mentioned a few posts earlier.
???? ARE you calling the "EDGE" and "PPE" a fueling box?? If thats the case why didnt you just call em what every one else does, Tuning modules/programmers. To me a "fueling box" would be a Fuel Injector Pump like on a Cummins .

Quick Reply: pressure reief valve shimming