Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Project Casper - How to make a LLY Dmax rip!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Casper - How to make a LLY Dmax rip!

Victim:

Casper - A month old 2005 2500HD GMC Duramax/Allison Extended Cab 4x4, shortbed. Factory weight (no driver/half tank) 6400lb.

First stop was the dragstrip to get the baselines. Ended up with a 16.7@80mph stock.

Next stop was at Mike L's Inglewood Transmissions 310 674-4400. He put a Frankie2 special trans together for it. Shifts excellent on the street and when racing. It is holding up pretty well.

Now to Clyde at West Coast Diesel Performance 951 674-5122. Clyde installed a custom 4" sidepipe exhaust, lift pump (Holley HP150 has issues, so we switched to a new Edlebrock unit available at PPE or WCD). We did the Shim Mod to the Pressure Relief Valve to .060", and drilled out the front restrictor to .062". Now we put in gauges (pyro, fuel pressure, boost). We used a SPA for the pressure, DON'T DO IT. It works erratically. POS. Next was the McRat Ghetto Nitrous. We pulled the passenger seat and made a special bracket to replace the seat. We hooked it into the horn relay, and sprayed it though a Super Diesel multiport manifold. Down and dirty. Clyde put on a Super Diesel centerlink to control front end toe in.

Next stop, Joe at Pacific Performance Engineering (714) 985-4825. After testing various stacks, we came up with using the PPE Hot +2 competition program, the Van Aaken LLY module set on the middle setting, and a PPE variable boost controller set to 32-34psi.

The PPE Hot +2 is a special application tune for racing, but it behaves surprisingly well on the street. It is a PCM uploader that will also correct for tire size, read and reset codes, and clear transmission tap cells. There are also smaller tunes on the programmer for towing.

The Van Aaken box adds a little kick to the big fuel the PPE sprays in. We are not sure yet why it works so good, but it at this point I can't find a better stack. Just these two alone are big power, but I don't want big power, I want MORE.

So we put on a PPE Electronic Boost Controller. This allows you to set your boost where you want it on the fly. We found maximum power (474rwhp) at 32-34 PSI.

Now a special TCM from Kennedy Diesel (715) 255-9433. This is a race only TCM that you will not want to drive on the street, but runs good at the track.

That's it. Trans, tuning, exhaust, nitrous. I worked a lot to find the optimum combo, and went through a lot of parts that didn't work to get there. I'm saving you ALOT of money and time by listing my setup. You don't have to guess, we have this setup on multiple LLY trucks and they all haul ***.

Now to the track! California Speedway last Friday. The results?

On #2 (raceweight 6420lb) - 13.04 @ 101 on #2 only. On the bottle with a .070" jet, the trans didn't like the nitrous yet (we are working on it, it's computer issues), but still squeezed off a 12.27 @ 111.81. We raped blown SRT-10's with it.

We believe this truck is the quickest LLY in the country, and it was done in 2 weeks from start to finish on a month old truck.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Holy freakin Damn!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice work Pat! Congrats on your win.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice and what do you guys mean when you say number 2 and stuff . is that tuning
Old 09-27-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

In diesel lingo #2 means a fuel only pass. Diesel fuel is sold in different grades, with #2 diesel (warm weather blend) being the most common.

To go faster we add a dry nitrous shot to burn the extra #2 fuel we are injecting via larger injectors, from programming or both. That is why you see the distinction made since some guys have the idea that only a fuel only pass is worth anything, i.e. that nitrous is cheating or easy power. I say it is power no matter how you make it.

I like my second turbo bottled!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

o alright im trin to learn diesels there unbeleivable with the power they put out with just minor bolt ons
Old 09-28-2005, 01:57 AM
13 Second Truck Club

I've had the privilege of driving this beast, code named "Casper 2", to a 13.3 @ 101 at LACR. It's fun doing 4WD launches.

Good job, Pat! I see 11s in the not so distant future.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe the fastest so far, but definately not the most powerful.. Theres one in the NW running a set of DTT twins, "secret injectors", stacked boxes, DTT trans and some other mods.. Last time it dyno'd at Piers it made 717 hp and popped a turbo on the same run. I know that Stan from Quadzilla is running over 730 hp on N20 and stacked boxes..
PS, I think it sucks how you DMax guys get 200+ extra power through electronics.. We old scholl Cummins guys actually have to get dirty to make HP...
Old 09-29-2005, 10:50 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
Maybe the fastest so far, but definately not the most powerful.. Theres one in the NW running a set of DTT twins, "secret injectors", stacked boxes, DTT trans and some other mods.. Last time it dyno'd at Piers it made 717 hp and popped a turbo on the same run. I know that Stan from Quadzilla is running over 730 hp on N20 and stacked boxes..
PS, I think it sucks how you DMax guys get 200+ extra power through electronics.. We old scholl Cummins guys actually have to get dirty to make HP...
I know of a few LLY's with Twins. I also know of a few LB7 Dmax's in the 700HP range, one locally.

What McRat was stating is that this was done with an LLY. It's pretty difficult to have an LLY keep up with a well tuned LB7 and the tranny seems to be very different from earlier Dmax's.

I'd be curious to see that DTT powered Dmax make a run down the 1/4 and see how well that tranny holds the power.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
Someone will beat my ET very shortly, so allow me to enjoy it while it lasts. Yes, I know about twin'd injectored LLY up North. Unlike the Cummins, injectors for a Dmax are over $2000 exchange, the CP3 to drive it is over $2000, and the extra turbo is over $4000. Most guys aren't going to do that, so I present a workable build for the average Joe.

Essentially, I'm showing you how to get SRT 10 performance on a budget.

Quick Reply: Project Casper - How to make a LLY Dmax rip!