Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

lq4 6.0 carb of efi

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasglas
Not surprising. Some folks hate what they don't understand.
Sorry, it is actually the opposite. My knowledge of know how carbs work is what feeds my opinion. I "tune" and deal with carbs on almost a daily bases, it's kinda part of the job...

Carbs work with forced induction also.
Yep they sure do, but it requires a fair bit of modification depending on the set-up...

A carbed engine will work just fine, as long as you dont expect it to out perform an EFI engine in any situation.

You really want to see how wonderful your carb works, go throw a good wide band on for a week. I bet you'll be scared strait.

Aside from the "look" of a old school engine, what would be a benefit of carb over fuel inject?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
You really want to see how wonderful your carb works, go throw a good wide band on for a week. I bet you'll be scared strait.
A wideabnd is what made me really fall in love with a carb. My AFR on my truck is all over the place, and when I had a WB on my old carb'd engine it was rock steady. A carb engine starts easier, idles better, has better throttle response, and makes more power. The benefits to EFI are versatility (you can drive from sea level to the highest mountains, while it runns pretty good the whole time), and better fuel mileage. I understand that EFI is the way of the car manufacturers, and there is nothing that can be changed about it. In my opinion it is only on factory vehicles for emissions. If you know someone who can really tune a carb, it can be tuned very quickly, and make great power. I am not the best carb tuner, but I know I am way above average. Every time I touch a carb for someone, they are extremely happy. Until I see an EFI engine that runs smoothly, has great throttle response, and great power my opinion is for a carb. I can even care less about the better idle. That is just from my personal experience.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:40 PM

What is "rock steady" what did the wide band read at idle, at transition, and at WOT?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't want people to get the wrong idea, I don't absolutely hate EFI. I have EFI on my truck, and my Chevelle. I have just never personally been in a vehicle that has EFI that I would say ran great. I am only of those guys that tweaks the carb on my lawn mower so it starts and runs perfectly. I like things to run perfectly, and I have never personally witnessed and EFI engine run that way. I am however willing to be prooved wrong in hopes that my truck may run to my liking someday...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

What is "rock steady" what did the wide band read at idle, at transition, and at WOT?
My car was at stoich at idle, and cruising speeds. It richened up to 12.5 slightly before redline just how I wanted it. That was a 1050 dominator on a 434 with 260/268 cam with 650 lift on a 106. That engine idled better than my truck with the cam in my sig.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
My car was at stoich at idle, and cruising speeds. It richened up to 12.5 slightly before redline just how I wanted it. That was a 1050 dominator on a 434 with 260/268 cam with 650 lift on a 106. That engine idled better than my truck with the cam in my sig.
Sounds like you got it dialed. There is no reason why a EFI can do that and more. Are you tuning your own EFI stuff?
Old 03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I would by no means consider myself an EFI tuner, and I have messed with my truck hours on end, and it has me pulling my hair out. I do have a tuner that tuned my truck, I am just not happy with it. My main problem was that he wanted me to run a MAF. I questioned that numerous times as in the 105kpa cell I was getting very bad AFR readings(it was going from 12's-16's under boost) in the same cell depending on throttle position. I now have a 2bar MAP speed density tune in it, and will mess with it when the roads clear off. We have a lot of salt on the roads here in NY, and I won't drive my truck in it.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, it is actually the opposite. My knowledge of know how carbs work is what feeds my opinion. I "tune" and deal with carbs on almost a daily bases, it's kinda part of the job...
Your profile page says you're a diesel mechanic. I don't recall many diesels running carbs.

Yep they sure do, but it requires a fair bit of modification depending on the set-up...

A carbed engine will work just fine, as long as you dont expect it to out perform an EFI engine in any situation.

Aside from the "look" of a old school engine, what would be a benefit of carb over fuel inject?
All you've done in the above post is show how much you don't know about carbs...

Most of the time a Holley carb only requires a few mods to be used with forced induction.

At WOT EFI hasn't got anything on a well tuned carb. In fact in many cases a carb will make more power.

A wide band on a well tuned carb wouldn't show anything scary at all.

What would be the benefit of a carb over EFI?...

A carb is cheaper in the long run, a carb makes just as much power as EFI, a carb is easier to tune when you make changes, screwdrivers are much cheaper than HP Tuners and a laptop, carbs are still usually the best choice for a drag car over EFI. You can take the time and money you waste on EFI to buy and install more go fast parts. Those are just a few of the benefits.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Your profile page says you're a diesel mechanic. I don't recall many diesels running carbs.

All you've done in the above post is show how much you don't know about carbs...

Most of the time a Holley carb only requires a few mods to be used with forced induction.

At WOT EFI hasn't got anything on a well tuned carb. In fact in many cases a carb will make more power.

A wide band on a well tuned carb wouldn't show anything scary at all.

What would be the benefit of a carb over EFI?...

A carb is cheaper in the long run, a carb makes just as much power as EFI, a carb is easier to tune when you make changes, screwdrivers are much cheaper than HP Tuners and a laptop, carbs are still usually the best choice for a drag car over EFI. You can take the time and money you waste on EFI to buy and install more go fast parts. Those are just a few of the benefits.
Good call on the diesel mechanic, I have no idea how these gassy things work, nothing is the same.... Diesel by day, boat/small engine/bike/tractor by night... errr switch that....

No doubt a Carb can do any thing efi can do cheaper... kinda. once you really start pushing the HP, I bet mega, injectors, fuel pump(s), and a regulator is cheaper (not to mention fuel savings) than a couple of carbs..

As far as a carb being faster and easier to adjust... LMFAO, you obviously have no idea how closed loop fueling works.... MILLISECONDS at REAL TIME.... I HIGHLY doubt you can pull over, open the hood turn a screw, shut the hood faster than a couple milliseconds...

Look at other parts of the motorsports industry, particularly the ones the EPA hasn't taken over totally yet. Seen many carbed street bikes? how about four wheelers? Dirt bikes? Boats? Jet skis? If carbs are so damn cheap why would manufactures loose money by fuel injecting???????

PERFORMANCE MAYBE????
BTW, NASCAR will be fuel injected soon too...

I'm done here Regardless of what my profile says, I tune carbs on a weekly bases and I've done a bit of fuel injection tuning on past projects . therefor my mind is made up, no fact you can bring up will change that, I have what you would call first hand experience with both..

You keep you carb and please post up when some-one asks which is better, but you would do well if you actually had some knowledge of how the other system works...
Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt a Carb can do any thing efi can do cheaper... kinda. once you really start pushing the HP, I bet mega, injectors, fuel pump(s), and a regulator is cheaper (not to mention fuel savings) than a couple of carbs..
In many cases an EFI system costs more than two carburetors to start with.

As far as a carb being faster and easier to adjust... LMFAO, you obviously have no idea how closed loop fueling works.... MILLISECONDS at REAL TIME.... I HIGHLY doubt you can pull over, open the hood turn a screw, shut the hood faster than a couple milliseconds...
Wow, you totally missed the boat on that one. I think it takes a bit longer than a couple of milliseconds to boot a laptop much less try to tune with it.

Look at other parts of the motorsports industry, particularly the ones the EPA hasn't taken over totally yet. Seen many carbed street bikes? how about four wheelers? Dirt bikes? Boats? Jet skis? If carbs are so damn cheap why would manufactures loose money by fuel injecting???????
Once again you're lost. The EPA has had it's nose in those places for a long time. Why do you think you don't see many two stroke motors anymore. Emissions related items started showing up on some motorcycles in the early 70s.

I'm done here Regardless of what my profile says, I tune carbs on a weekly bases and I've done a bit of fuel injection tuning on past projects . therefor my mind is made up, no fact you can bring up will change that, I have what you would call first hand experience with both..

You keep you carb and please post up when some-one asks which is better, but you would do well if you actually had some knowledge of how the other system works...
Actually I also have knowledge and first hand experience in both. I just don't feel the need to brag about my experience like you do.

Quick Reply: lq4 6.0 carb of efi