Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

lq4 6.0 carb of efi

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasglas
In many cases an EFI system costs more than two carburetors to start with.
450$ for injectors, 250$ for megasquirt V1, 50-75$ for a regulator, 100-200$ for a fuel pump or two.

Wow, you totally missed the boat on that one. I think it takes a bit longer than a couple of milliseconds to boot a laptop much less try to tune with it.
And you can throw any carb on any engine with-out spending time to "dial it in"? NO, we were talking about adjusting after set-up. BTW, even while "dialing in" some EFI stuff can be programed (not just ecm compensating) in real time, while you are moving....

Once again you're lost. The EPA has had it's nose in those places for a long time. Why do you think you don't see many two stroke motors anymore. Emissions related items started showing up on some motorcycles in the early 70s.

Your right, but they really didn't affect off road rec vehicles. You still haven't answer my question.... The EPA has ruined most two strokes but then again some would not even buy a two stroke with the higher performing four stroke EFI stuff out now.....

Actually I also have knowledge and first hand experience in both. I just don't feel the need to brag about my experience like you do.
You just go around judging others people knowledge based on the occupation?

Looking at your other posts, you are probably right, You seam to know what you are talking about, but then again I'm not one of those guys that will tell you what YOU know..... How am I supposed to know what you know?

BTW, I don't feel I'm barging here. And I would like to move this little bickering match to a more fact based discussion... Maybe you and I can post some reasons and examples showing our believes???? We are kinda destroying the OP's thread here...
Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
450$ for injectors, 250$ for megasquirt V1, 50-75$ for a regulator, 100-200$ for a fuel pump or two.
You're already around the price of two carburetors and you left a few things out. The biggest being the ECU.

And you can throw any carb on any engine with-out spending time to "dial it in"? NO, we were talking about adjusting after set-up. BTW, even while "dialing in" some EFI stuff can be programed (not just ecm compensating) in real time, while you are moving....
Yes, in many cases you can throw the proper carb on an engine and it will run well with very little adjustment. We were talking about initial set up and tuning later after mods. If you knew anything about carbs you would know that a carb does naturally what it takes a computer and lots of sensors to figure out with EFI. Yes, a carb automatically adjusts to changing weather and air density. A carb may not do it as well as EFI, but it does do it. It's pretty simple really, thin air draws less fuel as it passes the venturi, thick air draws more fuel. So a carburetor does by design what EFI does with lots of electronics.

When you make big changes to a motor with mods, all you need to tune a carb is a few hand tools and some jets. With EFI you might find yourself spending hours, days, or even weeks getting it right. That would be longer than the few milliseconds you mentioned earlier wouldn't it.

Your right, but they really didn't affect off road rec vehicles. You still haven't answer my question.... The EPA has ruined most two strokes but then again some would not even buy a two stroke with the higher performing four stroke EFI stuff out now.....
The EPA has it's hand in everything. And yes, that's your answer.

You just go around judging others people knowledge based on the occupation?
You said tuning carbs was part of your job. So yes, when you claim to be a diesel mechanic it does make me wonder how many carbs you run across while working on diesels.

Looking at your other posts, you are probably right, You seam to know what you are talking about, but then again I'm not one of those guys that will tell you what YOU know..... How am I supposed to know what you know?
You don't need to know what I know to read my posts.

BTW, I don't feel I'm barging here. And I would like to move this little bickering match to a more fact based discussion... Maybe you and I can post some reasons and examples showing our believes???? We are kinda destroying the OP's thread here...
I have better things to do than get into a long drawn out whine fest on here.

I like both EFI and carbs. They both have their place and areas where they shine.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:01 PM

You're already around the price of two carburetors and you left a few things out. The biggest being the ECU.

Did I????

Yes, in many cases you can throw the proper carb on an engine and it will run well with very little adjustment. We were talking about initial set up and tuning later after mods. If you knew anything about carbs you would know that a carb does naturally what it takes a computer and lots of sensors to figure out with EFI. Yes, a carb automatically adjusts to changing weather and air density. A carb may not do it as well as EFI, but it does do it. It's pretty simple really, thin air draws less fuel as it passes the venturi, thick air draws more fuel. So a carburetor does by design what EFI does with lots of electronics.

Yep, I'm well aware of the venturii effect as well as low speed, high speed, transition ports, needle tapper, needle hight, emulsion tube. Etc...

When you make big changes to a motor with mods, all you need to tune a carb is a few hand tools and some jets. With EFI you might find yourself spending hours, days, or even weeks getting it right. That would be longer than the few milliseconds you mentioned earlier wouldn't it.

I'll agree the learning curve on efi maybe steep, but once one figures it out, it is beyond easy to precisely add or subtract fuel in any area of the ve.

The EPA has it's hand in everything. And yes, that's your answer.

Manufactures are going efi before the EPA standards require it????

You said tuning carbs was part of your job. So yes, when you claim to be a diesel mechanic it does make me wonder how many carbs you run across while working on diesels.

Sorry, I had to reply in red, it is too hard to copy, delete and paste on my phone while I'm at my second job adjusting a little keihin carb... I'm not lying lmao...

You don't need to know what I know to read my posts.

You missed the point. On that one

I have better things to do than get into a long drawn out whine fest on here.

I like both EFI and carbs. They both have their place and areas where they shine.
Finally, we agree. I do agree on a small hand held gas powered piece of equipment, a carb works better.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MEGASQUIRT V1
Old 03-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, I'm well aware of the venturii effect as well as low speed, high speed, transition ports, needle tapper, needle hight, emulsion tube. Etc...
Looks like you're trying to talk about motorcycle carbs, but you're still having a hard time spelling.

I'll agree the learning curve on efi maybe steep, but once one figures it out, it is beyond easy to precisely add or subtract fuel in any area of the ve.
Sounds good, but it's usually not that simple. Just learning the tuning software requires a lot of time and you have to work with it regularly to stay familiar with it.

And on the subject of cost, there are very few applications these days that would require two carburetors. Some very nice power numbers can be made with one carb. Only when you get into max effort drag cars do you have a need for two carbs.

Manufactures are going efi before the EPA standards require it????
Is that unusual? Car manufacturers do it all the time.

Sorry, I had to reply in red, it is too hard to copy, delete and paste on my phone while I'm at my second job adjusting a little keihin carb... I'm not lying lmao...
Of course not, nobody ever lies on the internet.

You missed the point. On that one
I don't think so.
Finally, we agree. I do agree on a small hand held gas powered piece of equipment, a carb works better.
That and many motor sports racing applications also. For most radical street/strip and drag racing applications a carburetor is still the best way to go. Nobody with an older drag car is running out to buy an EFI setup. Why? Because they would spend a bunch of money and get no performance advantage.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:52 PM

Looks like you're trying to talk about motorcycle carbs, but you're still having a hard time spelling.

Yea mine spelin is alitle off.... Didn't relize that had anything to do with the conversation other than give you something to point out in order to draw attention away from your lack of efi based knowlage. Good thinking, I think it's working lol.

BTW, Megasquirt is the ECM..

Sounds good, but it's usually not that simple. Just learning the tuning software requires a lot of time and you have to work with it regularly to stay familiar with it.

And on the subject of cost, there are very few applications these days that would require two carburetors. Some very nice power numbers can be made with one carb. Only when you get into max effort drag cars do you have a need for two carbs.

Actually it is that easy.

Is that unusual? Car manufacturers do it all the time.

Google carbon credits. Might learn that car manufacture have to run efi as carbs are not at precise.

Of course not, nobody ever lies on the internet.

Believe it or not I was adjusting a carb

I don't think so.

That and many motor sports racing applications also. For most radical street/strip and drag racing applications a carburetor is still the best way to go. Nobody with an older drag car is running out to buy an EFI setup. Why? Because they would spend a bunch of money and get no performance advantage.
Good point, no one in their right mind would fuel inject an older carb based engine...

How about explaining why a carb will make more peak power than a fuel injected set-up do to a cooler charge, then I can point out that you are right however the carb would have to set-up and adjusted perfectly and changed as the track conditions change, where as efi might make a couple horse power less will make more overall because the computer will be making adjustments in real time.... So instead of calling me a lier, how about posting somthing useful to this thread, I will try to do the same...
Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

I'm done bickering here. Nothing I say is going to change your mind, and much of what you're typing isn't worth reading. The fact is, I don't really care if I change your mind.

The more you type the less sense you make. It seems like if I quit typing you might take both sides and argue with yourself. Perhaps there is a pill you could take for that.

I'll leave you with this... At least I'm open minded enough to understand there is a place for both.

Yes, I own tuning software and have two LSx EFI cars I use it with. I've also tuned several other EFI cars besides my own.

Yes, I own and tune several cars with carbs and they run very well. Actually my carbureted cars are more fun to drive and have much better throttle response. I have a big block with a Holley 1050 Dominator carb that has better throttle response than any EFI car I've ever been in. It's also quicker than any EFI car I've ever been in.

So, you can love hug and squeeze your EFI.

I'll use both EFI and carbs, and I like it that way.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 AM

I'm done bickering here. Nothing I say is going to change your mind, and much of what you're typing isn't worth reading. The fact is, I don't really care if I change your mind.
Your right, No amount of you calling others and I carb idiots just because we like EFI and all the other personal attacks are going to change my mind... I kinda like facts, something your posts seam to never have much of....

The more you type the less sense you make. It seems like if I quit typing you might take both sides and argue with yourself. Perhaps there is a pill you could take for that.
Nice, I was just pointing out a few things..... One, I understand one of the theorys why carbs make more power. Two, I understand why EFI makes more sense on a day to day biases. Three, I was hoping by posting this you would see how normal people would chat about their opinions. Four, I posted all of this in hopes of getting you to post something useful instead of name calling..... I failed.... ...

I'll leave you with this... At least I'm open minded enough to understand there is a place for both.
LOL, are you??? You come off ultra defensive as I'm sure I do too...

Yes, I own tuning software and have two LSx EFI cars I use it with. I've also tuned several other EFI cars besides my own.

Yes, I own and tune several cars with carbs and they run very well. Actually my carbureted cars are more fun to drive and have much better throttle response. I have a big block with a Holley 1050 Dominator carb that has better throttle response than any EFI car I've ever been in. It's also quicker than any EFI car I've ever been in.

So, you can love hug and squeeze your EFI.

I'll use both EFI and carbs, and I like it that way.
I have never doubted your carb tuning ability. Rather than post that useless crap, why not tell us WHY your carb stuff runs so much better? You know, theory of operation type stuff...

BTW, there are a lot of really good EFI tuning guys on here, I bet if you post up some of your stuff someone might help you get it running right....
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

Your right, No amount of you calling others and I carb idiots just because we like EFI and all the other personal attacks are going to change my mind... I kinda like facts, something your posts seam to never have much of....
You started being hostile with your first post. You think you know it all, but most of what you post is BS. I never called you an idiot, but it seems the shoe fits. You should start a self improvement program by first learning to spell. You will never look very credible if you can't spell the BS you're spewing.

Nice, I was just pointing out a few things..... One, I understand one of the theorys why carbs make more power. Two, I understand why EFI makes more sense on a day to day biases. Three, I was hoping by posting this you would see how normal people would chat about their opinions. Four, I posted all of this in hopes of getting you to post something useful instead of name calling..... I failed.... ...
From the start you've come off like a pompous azz... you reap what you sow. Our little chat was destined to go downhill as soon as you posted this ~~~>

Your "one" theory of why carbs make more power doesn't make sense, but I chose not to respond because you are only here to argue. If anything EFI probably gets cooler air due to the fresh air intake most come from the factory with these days, plus the plastic EFI manifolds transfer less heat to the intake air. But I didn't want to challenge your statement because it will just go on and on, never ending. Please, just let it go.

You aren't here to show how normal people chat, you are here to argue and that's all. Yes, EFI is better for a daily driver, nobody said it wasn't, that's where EFI shines. But a carburetor will also work fine on a daily driver. Carburetors worked just fine on daily drivers for many many years.

The subject isn't motorcycles. We are talking about cars. When you try to convince me you know all about carburetors, but you post about a motorcycle carb it tells me you don't have a clue about a carburetor you might find on a car. It also leads one to believe you might not have a clue about carburetors at all.

You seem to operate on the idea, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with BS".

LOL, are you??? You come off ultra defensive as I'm sure I do too...
If I seem a bit defensive it's because I'm sick of the EFI kids like you thinking a car won't run with a carburetor on it.

I have never doubted your carb tuning ability. Rather than post that useless crap, why not tell us WHY your carb stuff runs so much better? You know, theory of operation type stuff...:
That's funny coming from you the king of posting useless crap. If you want to know how a carburetor works go read about it, I'm not getting paid to teach you.

BTW, there are a lot of really good EFI tuning guys on here, I bet if you post up some of your stuff someone might help you get it running right....
I'm sure there are some guys here that are good with EFI. The funny part is you just admitted you aren't one of them.

And my stuff does run right azzhole. You can't catch it.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 AM

You started being hostile with your first post. You think you know it all, but most of what you post is BS. I never called you an idiot, but it seems the shoe fits. You should start a self improvement program by first learning to spell. You will never look very credible if you can't spell the BS you're spewing.
Yea, your right about the spelling, I do need to work on it.

From the start you've come off like a pompous azz... you reap what you sow. Our little chat was destined to go downhill as soon as you posted this ~~~>
I don't know, it kinda looks like you might need to enroll in my self help program for spelling.. I also suggest you re-read your comment above my and see if, maybe, you provoked it???

Your "one" theory of why carbs make more power doesn't make sense, but I chose not to respond because you are only here to argue. If anything EFI probably gets cooler air due to the fresh air intake most come from the factory with these days, plus the plastic EFI manifolds transfer less heat to the intake air. But I didn't want to challenge your statement because it will just go on and on, never ending. Please, just let it go.
You should have started your posting in this thread with this kinda of stuff instead of telling me what I work on.

You aren't here to show how normal people chat, you are here to argue and that's all. Yes, EFI is better for a daily driver, nobody said it wasn't, that's where EFI shines. But a carburetor will also work fine on a daily driver. Carburetors worked just fine on daily drivers for many many years.
Couldn't agree more.....I argue the part about the arguing part....... Damn you got me there....

The subject isn't motorcycles. We are talking about cars. When you try to convince me you know all about carburetors, but you post about a motorcycle carb it tells me you don't have a clue about a carburetor you might find on a car. It also leads one to believe you might not have a clue about carburetors at all.
Hmmm, I thought the basic theory of carb operation was the same.

You seem to operate on the idea, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with BS".
Feeling dazzled yet? Yours seams to be; If I cant make everyone share my OPINION, then I'm going to point out every misspelled word, dig threw their profile, and personally attack at every chance.. I wonder how often your approach actually works????

If I seem a bit defensive it's because I'm sick of the EFI kids like you thinking a car won't run with a carburetor on it.
Crystal ball told you I was a kid??? Or is that just your carb experience poking through? (I know it doesn't make sense, but I find it a little funny. O, shallow me...)
I don't recall saying anything of that nature. Your memory seams to be letting you down, maybe there's a pill you can take for that.....

That's funny coming from you the king of posting useless crap. If you want to know how a carburetor works go read about it, I'm not getting paid to teach you.
No need, I feel I know enough to get me by. I don't know it all, not even close. this was just a post to get you to post something useful, again, I failed, I take blame...

I'm sure there are some guys here that are good with EFI. The funny part is you just admitted you aren't one of them.
Don't mind my humble post, Come on with the trash.... lol

And my stuff does run right azzhole. You can't catch it.
You seam to know it all about everyone.... Crazy...

BTW, the self help spelling seminar will be held on Wednesday nights at 10:pm. Think you can make it?

I'm just kidding. I believe you know how to spell *******, but think you need to change the spelling so the forum will allow you to post up your name calling....

Quick Reply: lq4 6.0 carb of efi