Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

mallory for my tbi

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mallory for my tbi

My truck falls on its face after 4600 rpm but pulls somewhat till 5300. First I was going to do an upgraded spring and rocker ARM upgrade but thought I would try a better coil and rotor and cap. Has any one had experiece with mallory's stuff on a tbi truck? Did it improve your upper rpm's.

Well I tried to upload a pic of the stuff from my phone but I gave up.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's about all you're gonna pull for RPM's out of that old TBI fuel injection...for one, those heads are notorious for being among the worst performance heads chevy ever made, they don't flow much at all and don't respond well to modifications and will seriously handicap any attempts to build power...second, the stock throttle body also flows very poorly, some improvements can be made...i wouldn't do anything until you've freed up some air flow going into your motor, remember, that engine was rated around 200hp on a good day and all the components are designed to that, but barely...i'd get some ported vortec heads, a ported throttle body and get a custom burned chip to run your combination to start off with, then you'd have a decent platform to build from or a respectable engine to just leave alone
Old 12-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Staging Lane

For one the jet chips are junk.leave way to much on the table,i used a mallory dis cap on my 90 tbi 350 1 word junk,cracked within 1 month,had a msd sf coil,msd wires,ngk plugs,ported tb,edelbrock intake,headers,offroad ypipe it would pull hard up i didnt have a tach so i wouldnt know the rpm range but but if i to guess i think it would have been around 5000.Its possibly the valves are floating from weak valve springs.I was going to build a vortec 350 and drop it in.if you go the vortec route you need a vortec intake grab a vortec carb intake 130 shipped,set of vortec heads 906 or 062.if you goo this route grab longtubes too.probably 500 bucks to get the job done.and with a good chip tune your looking at atleast 270hp to the wheels.if you have more then 170,000 though its not worth it.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Yea the plans are lq9 build later but for as my daily driver its industructable . I would just get some edelbrock Heads and there efi setup but to much OS going on with the z28. My heads yes are horrible the tbi is a choke hold and my truck with its little crane cam in it pulls to 5300 but I think it has some left in it. Custom chip would be nice I took out the jet at one point and it was a lot worse without it so I just put it back in. After 5100-5300 I believe its probably just floating the valves.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

If your going to LS swap the truck anyhow don't even bother wasting anymore money on the 350 that's in it. Just save those dollars and do the LQ9 swap sooner.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

I have owned many TBI trucks. I know that there is some potential in them, but dollar for dollar, I wouldn't spend money trying to get more power out of them. Everything I have done to mine was for fuel mileage, and in that regard a TBI motor pays off.

Now that my 350 has died, I am rounding up the parts to change over to a 5.3L. I am not going to put more money in that old school boat anchor.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Much like the above poster I too have owned multiple TBI trucks and still do.... but notice it says LQ9 swap behind it, lol. I don't like dinosaur engines much anymore, lol. My 94 was perfect for the swapping with a clean perfect body and a dying knocking 350 under the hood.

However for the OP, when is the last time you changed or looked at the pickup module in the distributor on your truck? My 94 had the odd problem of just stopping in pulling around 4000 rpm. It had some generic partshouse pickup module in the distributor at the time. I swapped it out with a GM module out of my wrecked 92 and immediately had it pull to around 4600 rpm and run smoother overall. The existing module had not failed but it wasn't working properly either obviously. My 92's was a part number 16139369 which is apparently a better module. I know it sounds stupid because it's just a trigger reference for the PCM and they should all function the same but they don't. This one is the preferred module to use.

Here is a thread about it including an old post of my own about my 94 ( Badass69 username).

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...n-modules.html
Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Yea the camaro is under construction with heads cam bigger stall and I'm getting bored on the ol tbi truck so thought finding some little stuff to tinker while all my money goes to other build. Definitly appreciate the input on it just need to start finding me a 6.0 engine and drivetrain
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Teching In

I have a Vortec headed 95 TBI 350 with LS6 beehive springs, stock cam, Air Gap intake, TBI/carb adapter, free TBI mods, 3 inch cat back, tubular mid length headers and a chip from Harris and it pulls to redline which is now 5200 ... I think your issue is intake and head flow.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

I agree with checking the module for sure, Mallory does make some good stuff, it may be time for an upgrade.

Why does nobody mention to check fuel pressure? Hey...check your fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: mallory for my tbi