Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

OBS Bed Swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OBS Bed Swap ?

I'm looking at buying RCSB with the stepside bed, but I would prefer the fleetside bed. Anyone know how involved a bed swap would be? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts

Gets asked a bunch, but it's a pretty simple swap. You'll need the fleetside bed, fleetside bumper (the cuts in the top of the stepside are much deeper; the stepside bumper will 'fit" the fleetside bed but look stupid / on the other hand the fleetside bumper will not fit a stepside bed), and the gas filler neck w/hoses as they are longer.

I've done a bunch of them one-man with a good quality engine hoist; you gotta have the kind with the extendable legs. The non-extendable ones are just barely too short and will topple over. Or hang a hoist from a sturdy shop rafter or a really good tree.. I make an X with heavy ratchet straps hooked into the stake pockets (fleetside) and bolted to the outer 4 bolts w/large washers (stepside), remove the tailgate for balance, and lift it right off the truck.

Don't forget to unplug the taillight harness at the rear of the driver's side frame rail, and disconnect both ground wires...

Richard
The following users liked this post:
MikeManer (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Richard, I really appreciate all of the information. Thank you.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeManer
Richard, I really appreciate all of the information. Thank you.
No sweat.. easy job as long as you're not in a rust area.

I should probably clarify I hook the straps into the small side holes on the fleetside stake pockets, if you hook them down into the square top holes you'll bend the bedrail. The stepside of course doesn't have holes in the sides of the stake pockets which is why I mentioned bolting the straps to the bed with large washers.

Richard
Old 08-13-2020, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed

Remember a fleetside and stepside bumper are totally different.

Why I say is because I bought a new stepside with no bumper and i traded in my fleetside with a bumper I told the salesman ok I will buy it but put on a bumper the guy said I will take it off your trade in I said ok I just want a bumper on my new truck well it didn’t fit he had to put a new bumper on my new truck.

Let me add this my 93 GMC truck was draining the battery so I disconnected the cigarette lighter and it’s all good now.