Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

tonneau covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tonneau covers

I have a 1991 Chevrolet C1500 stepside truck. Just put a fuel cell in the bed and i want to cover it up with a tonneau cover. I'm having a hard time finding what i want and want to see if anyone here has seen what im wanting. I want one like you would call a "low profile". I would love if it didn't stick up at all from the bed and don't want it to cover the top of the bed either on the sides. I've seen some custom ones made on some other forums but don't have much time to make my own (although i will if i have to). Has anyone seen anything like this for a stepside bed? I found a few (very expensive) and also were only for a standard bed. Hope i can find what i need. Also, if i have to build my own, has anyone built one thereself? I found a couple that people made and they used wood, which would be simple but i would be afraid of it rotting or warping. Also don't like the idea of the weight of a peice of plywood so i would just use a frame and cover it with vinyl. Would like to use aluminum framing. Any ideas anyone?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I tell you, I have been through lots with these things over the years. From the zip lock attachment type, snap type, Pace Edwards roll-n-lock, and one that lies flat as you want. I was disappointed with all of them.

I now use an Agricover limited edition unit and love it. They do have a lower profile unit but it's not a flush fit. If you try a flush fit and expect it to stay uniform around the edge you will be disappointed. The weather and sun will curl and warp it.

I first seen the agricover on a co-workers truck and found out it was 3 years old. I could not believe the way it held up. I have one now going on 5 years and it hardly shows sign of wear. Always tight and flat and fast to open and close. Have a look.

The link is to the low profile. See mine in my sig.

Agricover.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Wow those do look good and they dont go over the edge of the bed like i want. For $440 with free shipping on the site thats not too bad if they last that long. Don't happen to know where i can get one cheaper do you? Ill definitely look into these a little more. Thanks man.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1LowC-body
Don't happen to know where i can get one cheaper do you? Ill definitely look into these a little more. Thanks man.
No, I got mine at an Atlanta hitch place thats out of business now.

If you go for the lower profile make sure it's of the same material. This cover was not out when I got mine and they say it's the lowest cost in their line.

That lowest cost statement would have me calling them and asking if it is made of the same materials as the others in the line. I'm a careful soul....
Old 07-12-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 89, I have a vinyl cover. IIRC, it's a Extang, but IDK. I'm not impressed. Granted, I neglected it, but truck was used too. Who knows how long it was on there.
I was told a low profile or flush mount is prone to water leaks as opposed to a over rail style. That's why I decided over rail fits my needs. ARE, Leer seem to be most common over rail. Snugtop & ******* are top quality & $$. Undercover is nice too, less $, but not as sweet lookin as Snugtop & ********.

In the end, if I keep my 89, I'll prolly do a lower cost unit, like a Undercover or entry level Snugtop. On 04, Snugtop.

Vinyl seems to break down in sun, snaps break, less secure than a hard tonneau, & I don't think it looks as nice. I also can't stand how wind causes bounce on a vinyl; weird I know, it just bothers me in rr view mirror. Plus, that turbulent movement may create a disruption in airflow that negates the MPG increase I'm going after. Not a fact, just my thought. Vinyl is less $, weighs less tho.

I don't know if this helps or not. Like said, I don't want any water leaks. Go w/. what fits your needs. Oh ya, seen Pace-Edwards alum. rolltop? Just my .02. Good luck whatever way u choose. Choices...
Old 07-12-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Agricover is the toughest material I have ever seen. No leaks.
The Pace Edwards was not a good experience for me.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by therock
The Agricover is the toughest material I have ever seen. No leaks.
The Pace Edwards was not a good experience for me.
Sounds like Agricover is similiar to Undercover in terms of composition.

Ya, PE doesn't work for me either. I just threw it out there. Was told if u live where freezin rain/ snow, it's a bad deal.

Also, sounds like u research like I do before I decide on what's best for my app. At least from your other posts. It doesn't matter after people buy things, cause if they have a bad experience, they're unhappy & out the $.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Teching In

I have the truxedo brand. It looks like the agicover. I've had mine since Aug07 and it is in good condition, but I baby my truck....lol I found ebay to have the best price at 299 delivered.

Last edited by rongstad; 07-12-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added price
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default This what i have, cheap but need to be painted cus its fiberglass

http://www.checkerpro.com/index.html
Old 07-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

those checkerpro ones are nice, any idea on the cost? i just emailed them and asked them for a quote. my brother in law is a painter so it might not be a bad idea to get one of them cause i can get it painted for next to nothin. i'm gonna look into some of these a little more. thanks for all the great information guys

Quick Reply: tonneau covers