Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

want 6 lug rear for 88-98 OBS p/u

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want 6 lug rear for 88-98 OBS p/u

Hey everybody.

I really want a set of chevy SS 6-lug take offs for my 91 GMC sierra, and i'm not using any 5->6 lug converters. The front wheel bearings are the same, and you can even use the same calipers with the 2500 rotor to get 6 lugs in the front. But, I'm having a problem with the rear end. 4x4s of the same year set have 6 lugs, but the spring perches are further apart, and the overall diff is wider. 99+ trucks are different too... could get someone to weld some perches on a 99+ rear diff, but trying to avoid that right now.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Teching In

oh, axle shaft swap would be a good idea, but i don't know how to cross reference them... probably need to go to dealership...
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

They offered a light 3/4 ton with 6 bolt wheels. It had a 14 bolt rear, we are currently looking for one of those for my dad's 95. I have seen them in 2wd's and 4x4's.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned

SS wheels? They're 5 stud.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Teching In

thanks bowtieguy79. i'd seen some people mention that elsewhere on another forum, but didn't trust them. i'd trust you before others.

s/cz71: the ss wheels i'm talking about are 6 lug, 20" x 8.5" wheels in oem form, but they make replicas, but i think even those are 6 lugs. i want the oem ones, b/c it's my truck and i can do what i wanna

that seems like it, either go with 2500 axle or take the old perches off a 99+ and then weld new ones on... but i'd be paranoid of loosing my axle.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jamespeek
thanks bowtieguy79. i'd seen some people mention that elsewhere on another forum, but didn't trust them. i'd trust you before others.

s/cz71: the ss wheels i'm talking about are 6 lug, 20" x 8.5" wheels in oem form, but they make replicas, but i think even those are 6 lugs. i want the oem ones, b/c it's my truck and i can do what i wanna

that seems like it, either go with 2500 axle or take the old perches off a 99+ and then weld new ones on... but i'd be paranoid of loosing my axle.
If you use a good weld shop, I don't think you'll have a problem with a rewelded spring purch. Plus if you go with a rear disc set up....that could be cool! and easy to find.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Teching In

do you know if the stock master cylinder and brake booster would support the rear discs? or would i have to go with the 2500 booster and cylinder, or heavy duty 1500 brakes (which are probably the same, haven't cross referenced it at autozone.com yet). any gotchas that you would know of with that swap?

all i can think of is:

possible parking brake cable issues
potential for a new booster/master cyl
spring perches rewelded
shock brackets rewelded (but might be able to fix shocks with new brackets on the frame or something... will have to get the tape out and go to the yards once i get a chance)

And, of course, I'll repost if i figure anything useful out
Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

do you know if the stock master cylinder and brake booster would support the rear discs? or would i have to go with the 2500 booster and cylinder, or heavy duty 1500 brakes (which are probably the same, haven't cross referenced it at autozone.com yet). any gotchas that you would know of with that swap?

all i can think of is:

possible parking brake cable issues
potential for a new booster/master cyl
spring perches rewelded
shock brackets rewelded (but might be able to fix shocks with new brackets on the frame or something... will have to get the tape out and go to the yards once i get a chance)

And, of course, I'll repost if i figure anything useful out
Having only researched doing the swap my self, all of these things are issues that I have pondered on as well. Read read read is all I can tell ya. Search every GM truck forum you can find.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Teching In

alright, thanks bro. it never hurts to ask. i'll probably post back in about a week or two with some hard facts and some measurements
Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

Sorry I was thinking about the "real" ss's from 90-93.

Quick Reply: want 6 lug rear for 88-98 OBS p/u