exhaust and air filter recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 02:34 PM
c_b
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust and air filter recommendations

As a newcomer to dodge cummins ownership, I'd appreciate some recomendations from those of you having experience with the variety of exhaust and air filter upgrades that are out there.

I have an '01 4x4 with the 5-speed manual and I'm looking to upgrade to a 4" exhaust and aftermarket aircleaner assembly. Shopping around has shown me that there are numerous options to choose from.

I'd like to hear from folks who have had a good (or bad) experience with the purchase, installation, and operation of particular air cleaner and exhaust systems.

Thanks much for your input.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

it depends on what your plans are? what othre mods do you want to do to it? if your just doing an cold air intake then all you need to do to the exhaust is have it straight piped, all you will need is like a 3' (i think) pice of pipe and cut the muffler and smoke canister off.

any ways you go with exhaust just straight pip it, you dont need the mufflers.

as for mine its a 99 and i have a airraid cold air quick fit, basicly all you do is pull the top of the air box off and the kit comes with a new top that clips in like the stock one but it has a big *** filter on it then connect the intake tube and your done.

i like the airraid and will recommend that from experince.

where are you located? and any other questions?.

heres mine
Old 09-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Summit and Jegs have a 4" system for $299.
There's a sneaker series muffler here which I might order so I wont have any problems during inspections.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Screw that cheap stuff, dont even waste your money on it unless you want to purchase an overhaul kit in a year..
AFE is about as good as they get for intakes and MBRP is hands down the highest quality 4" exhaust system manufacturer you will find.
If you plan on doing any other mods later one, you'll be glad you purchased those first..
Old 09-10-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, by the way, if you get a call from the EPA about me, dont tell them anything....
Old 09-12-2005, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02-4.8
Summit and Jegs have a 4" system for $299.
There's a sneaker series muffler here which I might order so I wont have any problems during inspections.

why would you have to worrie about inspection? diesels are safty inspection only and in texas you dont have to have a muffler. mine has the factory pipe on it but minus the muffler.

straight pipe that bish!!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by C.T.D.
why would you have to worrie about inspection? diesels are safty inspection only and in texas you dont have to have a muffler. mine has the factory pipe on it but minus the muffler.

straight pipe that bish!!!!
I thought you had to have a muffler? I know they're not emissions tested, but though it was state law that all vehicles needed a muffler
Old 09-12-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think Travis county is the only county in Texas requiring OEM style emmissions equipment on all diesel trucks now..
Old 09-14-2005, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02-4.8
I thought you had to have a muffler? I know they're not emissions tested, but though it was state law that all vehicles needed a muffler

nope, the place i had mine inspected was the same place that cut my muffler off. now california may be different i would think but good thing we dont live there
Old 09-15-2005, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

TurbodLS1TA Im still waiting on my quadzilla intake that Kyle Graham was supposed to send me. Anyway, I have the aeroturbine exhaust and it is nice. Not too loud at all. If you want to go cheap and can get away with it just straight pipe it.

Quick Reply: exhaust and air filter recommendations