my dad got a new cummins

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my dad got a new cummins

he got a 2006 mega cab auto 4x4. he uses it to pull his trailer. what can he do to get better mileage? he's not really looking for performance. if it comes along with the mileage he'll take it but his focus is on mileage. he said it gets 20mpg unloaded and 15-18 loaded. how can he get better loaded mileage? his trailer is on his truck about 80% of the time. its a enclosed steel trailer.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the tuners have a gas mileage or economy setting.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats excellent mileage for towing, but a tuner with a tow specific tune might help if he keeps his foot steady.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

what about intake and exhaust? so far i could only find a cat back. is that about all you can get or can you get down pipes and what not? so far he is way happy with what he has. but he drives so much that more will be way helpful. his old dodge 2500 with a 360 5spd 4wd was getting 8 towing and 10 not.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Teching In

The 06 Cummins already has a four inch exhaust from turbo to tail, have him install a free flow muffler and be done with it. Oh yeah and take a look above the rear axle, there is a free flowing resonator there, this should not be removed. The resonator really helps control the drone noise that the Cummins trucks are well known for. The cat is not that restrictive, especially on a non modified Cummins engine. That stock muffler is by far the biggest restriction of air flow.

The intake can be helped a lot by just removing the air filter and cutting a 4" hole in the bottom of the air filter box too! A 4" hole saw will work best for this mod, just put the filter back in and close the lid and you are done.

These are ideas that I thought of that are very effective and relatively cheap, now if he is in the mood to spend money, I can advise you that way too!

HTH!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:47 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by RankRam
The 06 Cummins already has a four inch exhaust from turbo to tail, have him install a free flow muffler and be done with it. Oh yeah and take a look above the rear axle, there is a free flowing resonator there, this should not be removed. The resonator really helps control the drone noise that the Cummins trucks are well known for. The cat is not that restrictive, especially on a non modified Cummins engine. That stock muffler is by far the biggest restriction of air flow.

The intake can be helped a lot by just removing the air filter and cutting a 4" hole in the bottom of the air filter box too! A 4" hole saw will work best for this mod, just put the filter back in and close the lid and you are done.

These are ideas that I thought of that are very effective and relatively cheap, now if he is in the mood to spend money, I can advise you that way too!

HTH!

sounds good. now what about the airfilter. is there a better filter and use stock box or is the stock filter good? for him it would have to be rather cheap mods if he did pay. but if they yield mileage he would be happy. is there anyway to get 20 towing? the muffler is it center in center out or is it off set? and how long? i know alot of questions but i'm in guam and can't look at the truck.
thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I recommend the Smarty JR to him and replace the stock muffler with a donaldson, mbrp or magnaflow muffler.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Teching In

I really doubt that the mileage you stated can be improved upon, is your dad going by the lie-o-meter on the console or is this mileage hand calculated?

The stock muff is off set, I installed a "center to center" free flow muffler, I don't recall the brand though.

There is a muffler delete pipe that I have heard good things about though, it's bent and made to be a direct replacement for the stock muff.

Link: http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ME-KIT-DG-04.5

Here is a link to good stock replacement air filter.

Link: http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....r=AFE-73-10102

Geno's Garage is a great vendor and they stand behind their products.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

he is prety good at calculating his mileage. this is all for his business so he has to keep tabs on that stuff. how bad would it drone with the muffler delete pipe? thanks for all the links. i will send them to him so he can figure out what he wants to do. so is it just as good to do a drop in and hole cut on the stock box as it is to get a new setup? i know the duramax guys at on poin were talking about how useless it was to buy a new setup over the stock box.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Take a look at my sig, the previous trucks I have owned were modified much like the current one and they had an awful drone when towing heavy loads. My 06 is the only Cummins equipped Ram that has never had a problem with the dreaded drone, I mean none at all. I attribute the lack of drone to the resonator and the cat has to help some as well. I'm 99% sure that the Mega Cab is the only Ram that has a resonator located above the rear axle, whatever he does, just make sure he keep the resonator! I know of a few guys that have used the muffler eliminator from Geno's and they never mentioned a drone problem.

He could play it safe like I did and go to a good muffler shop, just tell them that he wants a free flow muffler like Jeteys5.3 said. Just tell him to get one that he can see daylight from one end of the muffler to the other. These trucks spool faster and run a little cooler when they can breath better.

The Donaldson, MBRP or Magnaflow mufflers are good ones.

The Smarty JR would be a great tuner for your dad, if he drives consevatively he will see mileage gains in the 1-2 mpg area. EGT's are much lower than stock with this product, but I would install boost and egt gauges at a minimum though.

Link: http://madselectronics.com/SmartyJR.html

The air filter mod is plenty for a stock or close to stock Cummins, even the factory paper element is good enough with the 4" hole mod. Another reason to do the 4" hole is that the stock air box pulls the majority of it's air from the wheel well area. If he drives off road dust will be sucked right in there.

HTH's

Quick Reply: my dad got a new cummins