my dad got a new cummins

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RankRam
Take a look at my sig, the previous trucks I have owned were modified much like the current one and they had an awful drone when towing heavy loads. My 06 is the only Cummins equipped Ram that has never had a problem with the dreaded drone, I mean none at all. I attribute the lack of drone to the resonator and the cat has to help some as well. I'm 99% sure that the Mega Cab is the only Ram that has a resonator located above the rear axle, whatever he does, just make sure he keep the resonator! I know of a few guys that have used the muffler eliminator from Geno's and they never mentioned a drone problem.

He could play it safe like I did and go to a good muffler shop, just tell them that he wants a free flow muffler like Jeteys5.3 said. Just tell him to get one that he can see daylight from one end of the muffler to the other. These trucks spool faster and run a little cooler when they can breath better.

The Donaldson, MBRP or Magnaflow mufflers are good ones.

The Smarty JR would be a great tuner for your dad, if he drives consevatively he will see mileage gains in the 1-2 mpg area. EGT's are much lower than stock with this product, but I would install boost and egt gauges at a minimum though.

Link: http://madselectronics.com/SmartyJR.html

The air filter mod is plenty for a stock or close to stock Cummins, even the factory paper element is good enough with the 4" hole mod. Another reason to do the 4" hole is that the stock air box pulls the majority of it's air from the wheel well area. If he drives off road dust will be sucked right in there.

HTH's

sounds good. thanks again for the help. do yo happen to have a link or a pic of the 4" mod? he lives on a dirt road so this may help alot. what can you tell me about a low fuel pressure sensor? is it a good thing to have? is it to make sure the lift pump doesn't go low on pressure? do cummins guys still use rotella? if so which one? i need a good forum to search lol

Last edited by 4.8T; 08-25-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry no pics of the 4" Mod, here are some forums for you to look at.

Yes a fuel pressure gauge is a good idea with the Cummins equipped Rams.

www.turbodieselregister.com This site is a pay site, I would advise your dad to join as soon as possible. It's well worth the $35 a year, lots of knowlege and years of experience on this forum.

www.competitiondiesel.com This site is free and is more for the high power guys, it's one of my favorite sites.

www.cumminsforum.com This site will net the most info in the shortest time.

www.nwbombers.com

I'm short on time or I would type more for you, gotta go!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks i'll take a look.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4.8T
sounds good. thanks again for the help. do yo happen to have a link or a pic of the 4" mod? he lives on a dirt road so this may help alot. what can you tell me about a low fuel pressure sensor? is it a good thing to have? is it to make sure the lift pump doesn't go low on pressure? do cummins guys still use rotella? if so which one? i need a good forum to search lol
Rotella 15/40 is a good one to use. The low fuel pressure light is not as big a deal on the newer trucks. If you lose the lift pump it will just die. You won't kill the injection pump like the older VP-44's. Gauges are always a good idea on a diesel, especially if he tows alot. But on a unmodified truck, they are really not necessary.

Randy
Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Mike check out www.dieseltruckresource.com. Tons of info there.

He should look into a Smarty JR or Van Aiken. Both advance the injection timing and will get better MPG for a somewhat low price. Just tell him to strait pipe it too, it sounds sweet and with the cat atill in there it wont be too loud. I'd leave the stock filter alone and maybe just open up the box some. Those filters flow pretty good and with tons of mods making big power you still dont gain that much with a aftermarket kit.

If he wants MPG he should have gotten an old 12v cummins. lol
Old 09-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Teching In

I'd pass on the Van Aiken. They are supposed to be going out of business.

Randy
Old 09-10-2008, 02:03 PM

shoot I would say that is awesome fuel mileage