What Performance Mods for 05 Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Performance Mods for 05 Cummins

Wassup up Dodge boys.... Me and a friend went lookin for him a new truck, well he had his mine made up on getting a D-Max after ridin in my fathers. So we down to chevy place and test drove a new 06 D-Max, 4door 4x4 with 3:73's and let me tell you it was as slow as pond water not impressed at all, heck it wouldnt even spin a wheel turning after bowing it up. Well we left there and went to GMC place the owner was talkin to and told us to try a dodge cummins and we were like nawww and laughed, he said just take it down the road and see whatwe thought well we did and make long story short we were both smilin. Well we left drivin a Silver 05 Cummins 4x4, with 3:73's and it's automatic, truck is really strong stock heck we did about a 40ft burnout leaving the dealership. haha
What do yall recommend doing to get this thing were it will run like hell. Right now I ordered a K&N Gen II kit for it today for 245.00, Next week we plan on ordering the Banks 6-Gun with Speed Loader. Than put the 5 in' exaust on it, I know its cheaper to go with straight pipe I just think it might be to loud. Do yall think that is a good starting platform. Help me out I know my Chevys but I'm a newbie when it comes to Dodges......Thanx
Old 09-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Alot of complaints about the k&n on diesels. Don't filter good, filters collapse under the heat/pressure from the turbo, etc... K&N was bought out awhile back and the quality apparently has dropped off quite a bit. Old owners of K&N now run AFE which is suppose to be pretty good.

Gauges should be the first mod. EGT, boost, and fuel pressure is important for the cummins. A tranny temp gauge wont hurt either, but the first 3 are the most important.
Gauges, intake/exhaust/injectors is what I would recommend for the first mods.
Straight pipe wont be as loud as you think, the turbo help muffle it some.
I have the stock exhaust straight piped and it was only $60 to do so you're not out alot of money if you don't like it.

Intake and exhaust will help keep the egt's down which you'll need after a box and/or injectors. Also will need to start looking at tranny mods. TC and a shift kit or new valve body will help alot.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/ is a good site to get some more info.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

i have a 2005 2500 4x4 dodge with the cummins and i went with the quadzilla XZT box and aeroturbine exhaust. Probably knocked a full second off the 1/4. I didnt want to do much more because the tranny costs too much to replace.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

What do yall think about the Banks 6-Gun with Speed Loader. I have a friend that has a 05 Cummins with the Edge and he was not that impressed, he said of course it made a big difference but it still wouldnt run like what he thought. Were as I have another friend that has a 05 Cummins Dually with bank with speed loader and he said it is flat out run. My fathers D-Max I put a flip chip on it (stock, 60hp, and 100h.p.) and 4in exaust with a K&N kit and it is really strong. 4 door dually with 90 gla. fuel tank it ran 9:40's in the 1/8 mile with just the chip. I know these Cummins have a lot of power, I looked into AFR but decided go the K&N route since I could get it a lot cheaper. And as of exaust none of the exaust places around here said they didnt have 4 in pipe so I would half to order a kit. So I found a 5in. Flo-Pro kit with chrome 5in. tip for 399.00 which I thought was good price. I had one ofthe local shops try to sell me the Magnaflow Kit and install it for 1200.00 and I laughed in his face and told him I bet he would do it for 1200.00 and hung up. Just keep the replies coming like I said I'm a Newbie when it comes to the Cummins.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Yeah I went to one shop like 2 days after I got my truck, found out they can't bend 4" tubing but tried to sell me magnoflow kit for about $900 installed....no thanks. You can buy 4" tubing from Napa if the shops don't have it.

Which edge box did your buddy have?
I've heard good reviews of the comp and drag comp.

Just keep an eye on the K&N, some like it others complain alot about them. Seems to be love/hate and none in between.

I still say you need gauges before mods. EGT will keep you from frying a piston, fuel pressure will let know if the lift pump is going out and save your $1200 vacume pump. They're the 2 most important.

::edit
exhaust kits are bolt on, so you don't need to take it to a shop.

Last edited by 02-4.8; 09-21-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I'll go to are NAPA store and see if they have the 4in. pipe than I'll just order a 5 1/2in tip to puton it with straight pipe if not I'll just fine a cheap 5in. exaust. What do yall think about them Quadzilla chips, they have 130 h.p. chip with 4 settings for only 549.00., the cheapest I have found the Banks with the Speed loader is 718.00. I appreciate the advice.

And my buddy with the EDGE he has the newest one with the minitor and everthing. And he put on a 5in. exaust took him all night and he said it still aint real strong like what he thought. Him and a buddy of mine raced( my buddy has GMC CC 5.3L 3:73's, CAI, Flowmasters and Hypertech with 6in. lift and 36in tires on 18's and only beat him by a lil bet. So the EDGE is out the picture, I want Banks or Quadzilla chip plus they flip on the fly.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

I have the towing module as i stated earlier. Its the Quadzilla XZT 65 hp module. I havent been to the track but I am positive that with the module and exhaust a full second was shaved in the 1/4. You had better watch upgrading to over 100hp. That torque converter is gone first then the tranny. I have heard nothing but good things about Quadzilla and thats why i used them. Rumor has it that they are working on a serious HP increasing module. Keep your eyes open.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Personally I would never run anything on my truck that deeals with Banks.

If you want a good mild programmer, but is also good and compatible with future mods. I'd go with the Bully Dog Power Pup. I'm running one on my truck and I'm thuroughly pleased with it. Very simple programmer. I just can't wait to stack it on top of the TST with some twins.

As for exhaust, I just straight piped it. Cheapest and easiest and I don't really care about being loud.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Hey would yall say that Quadzillaraider Chip is better than the banks with speed loader (My main concern is safety my friend is not a car freak like me and he does drive his truck pretty hard, I dont want a melt down) Even though his warranty 100,000bumper to bumper 200000 Motor. hey and how do you take out the silencer in the turbo......Cause I dont really have a clue and I'm going to have the truck around the my shop tomorrow so I can mess with it
Old 09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Warranties don't mean crap once you start bombing your truck. You become your own warranty station.

As for the silencer ring. It took maybe all of 5 minutes to remove. It's just held in there by a C-clip. Just take the intake tubing off at the turbo and in the inlet you'll see a dish shaped object held in by a c-clip. Remove the clip and it will just fall out.

Quick Reply: What Performance Mods for 05 Cummins