Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

2001 ram 4x4 360 Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2001 ram 4x4 360 Help

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 with the 360 and i want to give it some more nuts. I was thinking about installing a turbo/supercharger because there doesnt seem to be many after market tuners that tune the 5.9l. I already have a FIPK gen II that sucks and a hypertech that also sucks and im looking to upgrade them also. i plan on buying a volant intake w/ ram air scoop as for the tuner i wish i could upgrade it. I was going to get a BG flash but they said that they will not tune for 87 octane and that is what i run because im in college and can hardly afford to fill the truck up anyway. I realize that adding forced induction could potentially kill my gas mileage but i only get like 10.5 in the city anyway i dont know how much worse it can get...
Old 06-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Gentlemen. I deleted the last three post to this thread because they weren't needed. The question asked is legitimate, if you don't have a constructive response, don't respond.

You could try lower gears, say 4.56's to help move your heavy truck. Superchips may have a tuner, I know the SC really helped my truck, better than Hypertech. There should be a number of companies that make a SC for your year truck. Which would be better though? Gears, cam, headers and a stall would be cheaper and offer some good performance vs a more expensive SC. If your budget can handle a SC, then get one.
Jim
Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Gentlemen. I deleted the last three post to this thread because they weren't needed. The question asked is legitimate

word

barrett
Old 06-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Ram didnt mean to be off topic it was a joke we go to school together and he obviously gives me **** about driving a dodge bc he has a chevy. That said 4.56s would absolutely murder my gas mileage... but probably would help me down low. But that isnt really the problem-my truck kills down low but the high end is so bad i just get walked away from at like 40mph. But do you think the volant cai with the scoop is legit? or does outlaw make a cai for my model year? Also i am planning on getting e fans but i dont know if they would actually do anything. And im also getting an ignition from jacobs to help my mileage just a little.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by dkonetzke
Ram didnt mean to be off topic it was a joke we go to school together and he obviously gives me **** about driving a dodge bc he has a chevy.
OK, it's cool!
That said 4.56s would absolutely murder my gas mileage... but probably would help me down low. But that isnt really the problem-my truck kills down low but the high end is so bad i just get walked away from at like 40mph. But do you think the volant cai with the scoop is legit? or does outlaw make a cai for my model year? Also i am planning on getting e fans but i dont know if they would actually do anything. And im also getting an ignition from jacobs to help my mileage just a little.
I don't know much about the 5.9L but I've heard the it's high end isn't real good. I believe Dodge makes an intake manifold and cam for the 5.9L, it's suppose to help. They also have a performance PCM too. I also believe that Outlaw makes a CAI for your year truck. I got mine off of Ebay, it was $100 cheaper than a Volant. I like it. You can go to their website at ww.outlawperformance.com and see if they make one for your truck. If low end is good, get the cam, intake manifold, CAI and then a shot of funny gas, that'll help your high end.
Jim
Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Launching!

If you don't have the money to pay for 93 octane fuel, you won't have the money to put 5k into a turbo setup. I had a buddy with an '02 5.9 that he supercharged and he put down 370 driveable rwhp and 415 dyno rwhp. Difference? The 370 was safe, the 415 was to get a nice #. LOL.

I had an '01 4x4 QC 5.9. I had the B&G flash. Crower 1.7 roller rockers were the 2nd biggest hp gaining mod I did. PPH headers, APS 52mm tb, airaid cai, u/d pulley, flowmaster, and I pulled the kegger intake off and shaved the runners 1 3/4". I ended up with 382rwtq below 2500rpms and 245rwhp up top. I tried the M1 and got killer hp but lost too much tq for my 4x4 to get off the line.

www.krcperformance.com is the King of 408 strokers with these 5.9's. You could put money into that vs. a turbo and probably be better off with driveability.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Teching In

if you dont mind my asking how much did the were the crowers installed? And what u/d pulley did you have? Also were the gains noticible when you got the tb and headers? I have heard that they dont do too much for this truck. Also what cam would yall recomend to keep the driveability reasonable while still seeing some gains?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you cant, i repeat cant run forced induction on 87 octane, dont do it if you cant put 93 in it!!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Teching In

in that case forced induction is out bc i run through way too much gas to be filling up with premium. haha
Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkonetzke
in that case forced induction is out bc i run through way too much gas to be filling up with premium. haha
i would just concentrate on ways to help it flow, longtubes, different intake manifold, and maybe heads and cam if you can figure a way to tune it, but with 87 octane you will have to keep the timing low

Quick Reply: 2001 ram 4x4 360 Help