Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

5.3 vs Hemi thread in the racing forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 03:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know, but i have a question for some of you guys, ive seen a few posts about bone stock 4.7s vs bone stock 4.8s and some of the times were similar, dont know but seems like the chevys would have an advantage noting that they come out with more hp. I took my RCSB to the track with nothing on it, it was bone stock, 3.55 peg-leg and stock 17s and ran consistant 16.1-2s. Some times i have seen are comparable to mine and they were driving 4.8s. Could this be possible?? Or does this seem like driver error on the driver?

I have not since takin it to the track with what i have on it now, but i will for sure be in the 15s- this is with just a hand full of light mods.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Toe
TECH Regular

I believe it in stock form, however it seems like the 4.8 responds better to mods over the 4.7.

I wish I could find a 5.3L to race, but none will step up to the plate. Only chevy's I've run have been older ones with 454's and 350's, they all get stomped on. Also have had a chipped duramax take a run, that was closer but the hemi still came out on top.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

All Chevys will respond better to their mods as long as DC products do not have true tuning ability...

TJ
Old 10-08-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MrDestinE
All Chevys will respond better to their mods as long as DC products do not have true tuning ability...

TJ
And as long as there is not true tuning ability there will not be more and better mods to do.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Yes, i definately agree with you guys, the 4.8 kicks @zz with mods, and with a huge selection of parts and interchangeable parts bins, its incredible with what GMs guys can do with all there motors. DC definately sucks in my opinion when it comes to tuning for our engines, especially the 4.7s. I love my truck just wish there was a hell of alot more attainable mods, other than major internal changes.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

A good comparison of 345HP would be a QC 2x4 VS a xcab GM 345HP VHO
Run them heads up,then run them with catbacks then compair them CIA compair then give the hemi the best programmer availible VS a custom dyno tune for the GM since that is what is availible.Anyone care to guess the results of that kind of comparison? Next would be do the same thing with a RCSB hemi VS a 5.3 RCSB GM,both basic trucks with there best gear availible.Anyone care to guess that outcome?
you could continue the mod comparison by adding longtubes and converters.Doesnt this seem like a fair way to compair?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
A good comparison of 345HP would be a QC 2x4 VS a xcab GM 345HP VHO
Run them heads up,then run them with catbacks then compair them CIA compair then give the hemi the best programmer availible VS a custom dyno tune for the GM since that is what is availible.Anyone care to guess the results of that kind of comparison? Next would be do the same thing with a RCSB hemi VS a 5.3 RCSB GM,both basic trucks with there best gear availible.Anyone care to guess that outcome?
you could continue the mod comparison by adding longtubes and converters.Doesnt this seem like a fair way to compair?

Well if take your 345 HP Chevy and match it to a B&G custom tuned PCM Hemi(currently the only folks offering custom tuning) and start adding mods you will be suprised. Rumor is they made 40-60 HP at the crank from a stock truck. A bit hard for me to believe but if you take into account that the Hemi barely pass emissions, I.E. de-tuned to pass, than is more believable.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

stock vs. stock was fun... and then there was aftermarket
Old 10-10-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrgnd
Well if take your 345 HP Chevy and match it to a B&G custom tuned PCM Hemi(currently the only folks offering custom tuning) and start adding mods you will be suprised. Rumor is they made 40-60 HP at the crank from a stock truck. A bit hard for me to believe but if you take into account that the Hemi barely pass emissions, I.E. de-tuned to pass, than is more believable.

Were you around when the first programmers for the hemis were being talked about? the rumors then was 40-60HP,I think since there have been no graphs posted you might as well take it with a grain of salt
Old 10-10-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

I picked up about 60rwhp from a cam and a custom tune on a 2nd gear dyno with the new torque converter (that is proven to show hp loss on the dyno). Guesstimates (since they couldn't get her to hold 3rd) are closer to 70-75rwhp in a 3rd gear 1:1 run. Made 314rwhp on the dyno on that 2nd gear run on 22's. Talked to the company that did the tune they say closer to 330-340rwhp. I should get it back around Halloween- then we'll redyno to see what I find.

Quick Reply: 5.3 vs Hemi thread in the racing forum