Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

5.3 vs Hemi thread in the racing forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for bluecajun's times and mph, i think he said he was braket racing and feathered it toward the end, i think he said on an all out run he was shootin for 12.6's or so
Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

but I really want a computer program on par with LS1Edit! I get the feeling that nothing is going to work for us guys on the 03's.....
TJ- check out www.msefi.com (Megasquirt)
I've been talking to a guy that thinks it would be rather easy to adapt this to the hemi. In fact, come Halloween (or maybe Thanksgiving- not sure when my truck is going to be done) but if my tune is not what I want it to be I'm planning to send it to have this set up installed. Just read up on it when you get a chance.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WT485SPDSilverado
As for bluecajun's times and mph, i think he said he was braket racing and feathered it toward the end, i think he said on an all out run he was shootin for 12.6's or so
Well that makes more sense and I can accept that, those are smoking times for his mods!

TJ
Old 10-14-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ColtSteele
TJ- check out www.msefi.com (Megasquirt)
I've been talking to a guy that thinks it would be rather easy to adapt this to the hemi. In fact, come Halloween (or maybe Thanksgiving- not sure when my truck is going to be done) but if my tune is not what I want it to be I'm planning to send it to have this set up installed. Just read up on it when you get a chance.
Thankx for the link Colt, I have been following that since Parish brought it up in another thread. It does seem to be interesting but still seems like a patch job to me but one that may be workable ... can't hardly wait til All Hollows Eve! I know it's even moreso for YOU!

TJ
Old 10-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

before my tune, the hemi beat me. my nose was at his tailgate. after the tune, a stock hemi cant touch me. pretty respectable trucks tho!! im sure that if the hemi pulled up next to me with the superchips, that it would be a really interesting race, probably like flip a coin. ohh well if someone lives in the vegas area wants to hand me my *** just pm me.

my latest race was a hemi debaged 4x4 RC and i got him by ~1.5-2 lenghs. i had a full tank too. its just that with out TM my truck pulls very nicely in second gear.

peace outty
Old 10-16-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Some see you as having an unfair advantage if you were to race a QC hemi because of the weight difference,of course they dont take into account the HP and cubes advantage the hemi has,they still see it as unfair inspite of the fact GM can engineer a truck with out a lot of added weight.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Aw geez, Gonzo.... ok you have a point, let me see what, 19 cubic inches.. or close. Now what is the weight difference??? let me see a Hemi QC 4X4... what I know of some that weigh 5200+ race weight, I cannot think of any I have heard of weighing less and some that weigh over 5600. But let us take the low number... now, zo6freak, would you mind letting us know what your race weight is?????

Now that part will have to slide for a while till we get an answer,
However my truck race ready weighs 4750 or thereabouts depending on how much fuel I take to the track.... now that is with significant weight reduction, stock was 4880 lbs w/ 1/4 tank. I race quite a few 5.3 stcb trucks that weigh in the 4100 lbs range with approximately the same type of weight reductions. Now tell me Gonzo???
How many more 100's of lbs do I need to carry to make up for those few extra cubic inches???? from my side of the world looks like I am carrying about 600+ lbs... What you wish I would carry a few hundred more???? Most do.....
Can't wait to hear zo6freak's weight.....

TJ
Old 10-16-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

All i am saying is anyone making an excuse that there truck is slow do to the way the factory built it maybe should have looked at buying something else.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:11 PM

My old 2000 5.3L EC Silverado weighed 4810 lbs if I remember correctly, it had 3.73 gears and 30" tall tires. My 2004 QC Hemi Ram weighed 5280 lbs when I weighed it with the factory 20's and nerf bars, I now have 17's and nerf bars are off so I'll say it weighs about (?) 5175-5200 lbs. It has 31.6" tall tires and 3.92 gears. If you divide the truck weight and the engine HP on the Silverado (4810 / 285 = 16.8) you get 1 hp for every 16.8 lbs.. With the Ram you get (5175 / 345 = 15) 1 hp for every 15 lbs., so the power to weight ratio favors the Ram. The Ram has taller tires so that hurts but the lower gears help, so the tire gear/combo is a push in my opinion. Then there's the trans gearing which I don't know how they compare so I can't say. So you can say the Ram is heavier but it does make more power but it's also trying to turn taller tires if it has the 17's and much taller tires if it has the 20's. Overall, I think the trucks match up well in the checks and balances department.
Jim

Last edited by Ram4Pick; 10-16-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant believe how heavy those dodges are... I think the best comparison would be the LS1/6 and the hemi. They are the same liter size.

Quick Reply: 5.3 vs Hemi thread in the racing forum