Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

Advice for pepping up my 04 Ram/Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for pepping up my 04 Ram/Hemi

I recently purchased a 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab/Hemi and I was looking for a site devoted to upgrades or advice for getting a little more HP out of this truck. I have always been into older cars so I am behind on this computer stuff. Not looking to race on the track, just crushing punks off the line around town. What are some good mods to start with? Thanks, J from O-Town, FLA.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 PM

First off, welcome!
We'll, I've found out in my various intake and muffler experiments that the stock intake and exhaust are pretty darn good. If you want some more noise then just go with a muffler of your choice, alot of guys run the Aero Turbine, Flowmaster Hemi HD and Magnaflow. I didn't want the noise so I opted for a Dynomax Super Turbo using the stock tailpipe and left the resonator on. It's barely louder than stock, it doesn't resonate and it helped a little. Any open cone filter CAI will be loud under WOT which again, I didn't want. Volant is a good choice or you can get an AirAid MIT (Modular Intake Tube), it replaces the Hemi Hat resonator box that sits on top of the engine. I think the stock airbox is a good design and flows plenty of air. It has a large intake snorkle that pulls cool air from behind the headlight. Some Hemi owners have found through dyno runs that a K&N filter actually loses power over the stock paper filter, a TrueFlow foam filter is a popular choice. I would defintly get the new Superchips tuner for your truck though, it REALLY helps! Some guys are popping in the 6.1L Hemi cam but that's mean breaking into the engine which I'm incline not to do just yet. Hope that helps some!
Jim
Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome J!
Like Jim mentioned, get a programmer and CAI. For more punch off the line, look for some smaller tires or 4.56 gear swap. Should drop nearly a second off the 1/4 mile times.
The programmer will "block" the computer from detuning any mods you make. DC uses a speed density system, no mass air flow sensor, so it has been known to wipe out any initial gains from mods.
The 6.1L cam is one of the cheapest mods ( good for about 25 HP ) if you install it yourself.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Yep - besides the main power adders I've installed the gears and higher stall tc seemed to make the most difference (especially off the line). The Superchips Flash Pack has been getting great reviews but if you plan on swapping cams, and you go with a larger cam like the 220 I have, you'll need to have the pcm flashed (See www.krcperformance.com )
Good luck
Old 02-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Default Hemi Mods

See my mods below. The combo of the True Flow cai, airstream scoop, and the Superchips Flashpaq 3815 Tuner will definitely liven up your hemi.
Set the shift rpm at 6200 (will shift at 6000) to take out the soft shifts when programming the tuner. For a whole host of information about performance, check out www.hemitruckclub.com.