Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bang for the buck

i am new to this web site and new to the hemi world i own a 06 ram 1500 scsb any advice on mods to start with
Old 02-17-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06hemi
i am new to this web site and new to the hemi world i own a 06 ram 1500 scsb any advice on mods to start with
Best bang from the buck, My HomeDepot CAI.... Improved Consistancy for Hot Lapping at the track and worth more than 2 tenths at the track..
Best Bang.... Superchips! GET ONE... it was worth 7 tenths on my truck in back to back testing at the track, same day vs stock and the wire reconnected!!!!!!! Time slips are posted on DTW, I will provide the links if anyone is interested..... However, everyone should note that later year models ( mine is an 03 ) do not have near as much Torque Management as the 03s so you will not experience the same gains but will still be substantail. I obtained 5 tenths on just pulling the wire but since I installed the Superchips tuning ( HEY! I hear snickering from the Chevy guys! quit that chit! someday we will have HPTuners as well! ) anyway I reinstalled the wire as the Superchips pulled the wire electronically.
Beware exhaust systems.... many people have lost HP/Torque with aftermarket exhaust systems.... my plans are ( subject to change without notice ) Pacesetters Longtubes, DynoMax Hiflow Cats ( 2 ) dual 3 inch ( may go to 2.5 inch instead ) true duals w/ x pipe, side exit in front of rear tire.
there are a few cams to choose from at this time but beware as there are NO good tuning options out there but some will tell you to use the B&G flash but I feel that is just oo expensive and unreliable, plus it is not a dyno tune and if you need to retune it is another $500...
Take all of the wieght out you can and if you are running 20s, dump them for some lighter weight 17s.....

there are more things you can do but this will get you started..

TJ
Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

i thank you a lot ive been lookin at a kit on rpmoutlet.com would provide a link but don,t know how its superchips s&b cia ant heli-x tb spacer and powertower to replace the hemi hat think that gain would be noticable
Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

i thank you a lot ive been lookin at a kit on rpmoutlet.com would provide a link but don,t know how its superchips s&b cia ant heli-x tb spacer and powertower to replace the hemi hat think that gain would be noticable
Forget the throttle body space unless you are going to put a Nitrous Nozzle in it! LOL... you will find no power gain with a throttle body spacer.. you should look at the my gallery on DTW for CAIs or if you must buy one, make sure you get one that takes in COLD air from the outside and NOT hot engine air...

TJ
Old 02-17-2007, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

10 4 the only reason im gettin all that stuff is its a kit in a box type thing for 550 bucks firured i could not beat tha with a stick and the nos might not be far off what size shot is safe and does mine having mds effect anything
Old 02-17-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a good price seeing as to how the Superchips run bout $385...
as far as the size shot.... there are guys with VERY big ballz running 400+ size shots.. but I cannnot imagine your tranny lasting very long..
a shot of 125 hp is fairly safe if you jet it rich, the guys running the BIG shots are using dual progressive stages but we really need forged bottom end and better trannies, by the way, avoid full throttle downshifts from overdrive and do not use full throttle past 3rd gear. Our trannies have a very weak clutch pack for overdrive.

I cannot help you with the MDS, seems like most of the efforts are being put into replacing the lifters disabling the system.

TJ
Old 02-18-2007, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

thanks for that ive heard that but mine still cuts off at 105 thats in 3 at about 4500rpms
Old 02-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Toe
TECH Regular

Personally the best bang for buck mod I did was a torque converter from Edge Racing Converters or from Aps Precision. Both run about $450. I went with a 2600stall from Edge and it livened up first gear a lot. If you got the 20's this will really help you get up and go from a stop. It's easily cut 3/10th's off my quarter mile run. Best way I describe it, is it's make driving more fun when your on the gas. When you not, you can't even tell you have it.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for that ive heard that but mine still cuts off at 105 thats in 3 at about 4500rpms

The Superchips should take care of that... at least to 140...

TJ
Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

bad *** and thanks for the converter tip what about bigger injectors or things like that

Quick Reply: bang for the buck