Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

could this be my cat, fuel pump, or something more serious?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could this be my cat, fuel pump, or something more serious?

ok. when i start my truck, it will almost turn over sometimes, then just kind of die a little. but other times it will start just fine, then after i give it a little gas, it dies. one of the local guys said something about the cat being clogged, but i haven't really ever heard of it doing that. my thought could be fuel pump. how far off am i or is it a good thought? all the post i searched never said anything about a clogged cat making the truck die. thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

whens the last time you changed the fuel filter. clogged cat is very possible.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:45 PM

Does it ever start and run? With a clogged cat, it would run like crap if it did run. As mentioned, a clogged fuel fiter would do it also. On a 98, if both the cat and fuel filter are original, both could be doing it.
Jim
Old 06-12-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no i haven't checked the fuel filter yet. i don't know where it is at on this truck. yes it will start and run on occasion, but if it sits, then it will start dying again after giving it any gas. it runs a little rough at times, when it is running right now. this is the first this has happened in the two years i have owned it.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Toe
TECH Regular

Fuel filter "could" be in the tank, pain in the *** to get out as you'd need to drop your tank.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toe
Fuel filter "could" be in the tank, pain in the *** to get out as you'd need to drop your tank.

IF it is intank, I have found out through personal experience that the bed comes off easier than the tank goes down.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i hvae been told that it is in the tank. what all is invovled in changing it myslef if it is in the tank? never done it before and i know my dad will blow a gasket if i try and do it myself.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 AM

Like mentioned, it may be easier to remove the bed, may only be 4-6 bolts then lift it off to get access to the top of the tank. Then you'll have to pull out the parts that are in the tank, may be the fuel pump, gauge sending unit and the filter. The tank may be easy to drop, just a couple of straps, look at it from below. You can also have you cat tested, a good exhaust shop should be able to test the cat and see if it needs replacing.
Jim
Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a filter on the pump assembly in the tank but there should also be an external filter too. Look underneath along the frame rail on the same side as the fuel filler door. One other way is to check what it looks like at a local auto parts shop. It may not hurt to replace whether it is the problem or not.
One other thing to check is the fuel pressure regulator. A bad regulator or poor vacuum connection will cause the symptoms you are seeing.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

There was an outside fuel filter on my 99 that I replaced at 50,000 miles just before I replaced a VERY clogged cat.... that thing would not move out of it's own way! when we got the cat off the screen was just moving around in the cat and was totally plugged. I guess when the screen hit the outlet just right the truck just would not move... whole nuther animule when it was replaced!

TJ

Quick Reply: could this be my cat, fuel pump, or something more serious?