Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

Modded vs stock performance. Figure this one out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram4Pick
Hey Derek! I think the MIT is a good buy if you're going to add an exhaust, if you're going with the stock exhaust, I wouldn't. If you want more noise, then get a different muffler but after havinig the stock muffler on for a while now, I'm a firm believer it flows well, it's just not loud. A good Magnaflow muffler is 12589 or 14589 (12 is alum & 14 is SS), it's 5x11x22's and it's popular when keeping the stock tailpipe. Yes, the exhaust is SS (lower grade but SS) and the tailpipe is mandrel bent. It is 2.75 where it connects to the muffler but it widens out right after to 3" all the way to the tailpipe tip. The resonator is also 3" and it's straight through in design (looks just like a Magnaflow muffler inside) so it won't hurt performance at all. Hope this helps!
Jim

So those Magnaflows won't just pop right in correct? he'd need to add a few inches of pipe (8"?) ?

RJ
Old 10-31-2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by TOZOVR
So those Magnaflows won't just pop right in correct? he'd need to add a few inches of pipe (8"?) ?

RJ
Yes, the stock muffler is like 28-30" long, you'll need to add some pipe.
Jim
Old 10-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Yes, the stock muffler is like 28-30" long, you'll need to add some pipe.
Jim
yeah I think my '03's is 28" long and from the tip of the inlet pipe to the tip of the exit it's about 36"
Old 10-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Hey Derek! I think the MIT is a good buy if you're going to add an exhaust, if you're going with the stock exhaust, I wouldn't. If you want more noise, then get a different muffler but after havinig the stock muffler on for a while now, I'm a firm believer it flows well, it's just not loud. A good Magnaflow muffler is 12589 or 14589 (12 is alum & 14 is SS), it's 5x11x22's and it's popular when keeping the stock tailpipe. Yes, the exhaust is SS (lower grade but SS) and the tailpipe is mandrel bent. It is 2.75 where it connects to the muffler but it widens out right after to 3" all the way to the tailpipe tip. The resonator is also 3" and it's straight through in design (looks just like a Magnaflow muffler inside) so it won't hurt performance at all. Hope this helps!
Jim
Jim, thank you! OK, with the MIT in mind and the need for a cat-back, which SS system is the most popular? I really like the sound of Magnaflow's over the tinny Flow's, but what about other brands? SI/DO? SI/SO?

Popping in a Magnaflow inline with the stock system won't benefit the MIT? Just curious as to what my options should be...gotta plan and save for mod's.

Thanks!

Derek
Old 10-31-2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by hemidude
Jim, thank you! OK, with the MIT in mind and the need for a cat-back, which SS system is the most popular? I really like the sound of Magnaflow's over the tinny Flow's, but what about other brands? SI/DO? SI/SO?

Popping in a Magnaflow inline with the stock system won't benefit the MIT? Just curious as to what my options should be...gotta plan and save for mod's.

Thanks!

Derek
Derek, I guess I didn't make my first post clear enough. I wouldn't buy a whole cat back, a waste of money in my opinion, just get a muffler. The MIT would benefit just from a muffler swap, I had two Magnaflows, both worked well. The 12589 is 5x11x22" and the 12289 is 5x8x24", I liked the 12289 better. Me going back to the stock muffler is a personal thing with my ears and my age, I do like a nice sounding exhaust system but my ringing left ear doesn't really like it in a daily driver. I need to buy a hot rod for the occasional use, then I will have a nice sounding exhaust system. I still think the stock intake and exhaust on the Ram are very good but I can also understand the need to get an exhaust and CAI, it's the hot rodder in us all. I will say this, you will get a much bigger bang for the buck by getting a Superchips Tuner than you will by getting a muffler and an MIT. I love my SC! Just soemthing to think about.
Jim
Old 11-01-2005, 02:15 AM
Teching In

Derek, I guess I didn't make my first post clear enough. I wouldn't buy a whole cat back, a waste of money in my opinion, just get a muffler. The MIT would benefit just from a muffler swap, I had two Magnaflows, both worked well. The 12589 is 5x11x22" and the 12289 is 5x8x24", I liked the 12289 better. Me going back to the stock muffler is a personal thing with my ears and my age, I do like a nice sounding exhaust system but my ringing left ear doesn't really like it in a daily driver. I need to buy a hot rod for the occasional use, then I will have a nice sounding exhaust system. I still think the stock intake and exhaust on the Ram are very good but I can also understand the need to get an exhaust and CAI, it's the hot rodder in us all. I will say this, you will get a much bigger bang for the buck by getting a Superchips Tuner than you will by getting a muffler and an MIT. I love my SC! Just soemthing to think about.
Jim
I totally agree, Jim - not too loud and no drone, my ears will thank me later. Thank you for the clarification, it really clears it up for me now. I'm going to start pricing a muffler AND yes, saving up for a SC tuner.

Derek
Old 11-01-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by hemidude
I totally agree, Jim - not too loud and no drone, my ears will thank me later. Thank you for the clarification, it really clears it up for me now. I'm going to start pricing a muffler AND yes, saving up for a SC tuner.

Derek
The best place to get the muffler is www.performancepeddler.com
On the main page where is says Wholesale Login (or something like that) type in DTWOLRD. It should say you are logged in and then in the parts search spot type in what ever Magnaflow muffler you want (12589 or 12289), you'll get the wholesale price and this site has free shipping. Best place I've found and the wholesale login in is a code from DTW.
Jim
Old 11-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Those differences are too small to make a judgement on, get that thing on a dyno.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Teching In

I'm going with the AT3030 it is a 3" i.d. inlet, 3" i.d. outlet (all stainless steel). After hearing sound clips and reading several HEMI testimonials, I'm sold on it. I just need to save up for one, one of their SS tips, and find the best online pricing after Thanksgiving.