Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

SRT-10 muffler off & Magnaflow DI/DO muffler on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT-10 muffler off & Magnaflow DI/DO muffler on.

Well, the SRT-10 muffler is finally off, it sounded like crap. Putting the Magnaflow resonators on in front of the muffler took away alot fo the rappy exhaust note or so I thought. I couldn't hear it with the side windows down but the last couple of days, I've been riding around with the rear slider window open. I can hear the exhaust alot better now and rappy note was still there, just quieter because of the resonators. Today I had Magnaflow muffler 12568 installed, it's a 5x11x22" DI/DO muffler with a built in X design. I don't know if it qualifies as "true dual" exhaust because of the one muffler but I have two pipes into and out of the muffler and the muffler is also the X pipe. The Magnaflow sounds alot better, DEEPER and also a touch louder.
Jim

Last edited by Ram4Pick; 07-17-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Cool, I have the FM 40 series and it sounds OK(no resonator), except when I tow the boat or the car hauler............it will run you out of the truck then, I hate it.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet! I have true dual FM Super 40 series set up on my truck with no cats. Got to love that deep rumble!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram4Pick
Well, the SRT-10 muffler is finally off, it sounded like crap. Putting the Magnaflow resonators on in front of the muffler took away alot fo the rappy exhaust note or so I thought. I couldn't hear it with the side windows down but the last couple of days, I've been riding around with the rear slider window open. I can hear the exhaust alot better now and rappy note was still there, just quieter because of the resonators. Today I had Magnaflow muffler 12568 installed, it's a 5x11x22" DI/DO muffler with a built in X design. I don't know if it qualifies as "true dual" exhaust because of the one muffler but I have two pipes into and out of the muffler and the muffler is also the X pipe. The Magnaflow sounds alot better, DEEPER and also a touch louder.
Jim
Almost every muffler the new one sounds better than the last,well for a while anyways.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Almost every muffler the new one sounds better than the last,well for a while anyways.
You're probably right about that but the SRT-10 REALLY sounded lousy, even my 14 year old son said so. At low rpm's, it sounded fine, mellow rumble but at 4K and above, it started sounding like the cross between a low rider Impala and a 40's roadster with Smitty muffler, REALLY BAD SOUND. I was perfectly happy with it until I opened my rear slider window, couldn't hear it well enough from the side windows. Had to drive to the airport last night to pick up the wife, so I got a good listen to the Magnaflow. It sounds good, a little louder but not bad at all, deeper rumble with NO glass pack/ Smitty muffler sound.
Jim
Old 07-12-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Im just flick'n it.but how long before you find something wrong with this awesome magnaflow was my dig.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Im just flick'n it.but how long before you find something wrong with this awesome magnaflow was my dig.
Awesome is your word, not mine. Changing mufflers has finally gotten old, I'm tired of it. Even the "muffler man" has gotten sick of it. LOL! Unless things go terrible wrong with this one, it's staying on or I'm buying a new truck, maybe a 2500 Ram with a CTD in it and the exhaust will stay stock.
Jim
Old 07-13-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ram4Pick
Awesome is your word, not mine. Changing mufflers has finally gotten old, I'm tired of it. Even the "muffler man" has gotten sick of it. LOL! Unless things go terrible wrong with this one, it's staying on or I'm buying a new truck, maybe a 2500 Ram with a CTD in it and the exhaust will stay stock.
Jim

NOPE.................you'd have a huge 4 inch or 5 incher on it in no time, CTD's can be real fun!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rumble Bee Ram
NOPE.................you'd have a huge 4 inch or 5 incher on it in no time, CTD's can be real fun!
That's just it, the CTD comes with a 4" exhaust stock. It's just not loud and I've heard diesels with aftermarket mufflers, they don't sound the same as a gasser so I don't think I would change it out. Never say never though! I know I would probably do the big three, intake, exhaust and chip. The intake and exhaust would have to have near or at stock sound levels, just flow better. I've never owned a diesel so it would be uncharted waters.
Jim