318 TBI to carb swap help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 318 TBI to carb swap help

I just got an '89 Dodge Power Ram 150 (W150) with a 318 in it. It will be my hauling vehicle.

I don't want to run the TBI in it and want to swap it for an Air Gap manifold and carb. I also plan on finding a set of 340 "J" heads for it from somewhere(e-bay probably). Along with a mild but torquey cam.

So I would like to know exactly what is needed to make the swap from TBI to carb. New wiring harness? Computer changes? All or any help is appreciated

Oh yeah, almost forgot... what can I get rid of smog equiptment wise also?? I'll be running full length headers and no inspections will be required. I just want a basic cabureted engine with nothing but essential accessories.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to a carb'd intake then you won't need the computer anymore. There are a ton of wires that just flat out become unnecessary if you convert to a carb.

The first thing I'd get rid of is that pesky smog pump.

I'll have to look at it when I get back in the county. It'll be a couple weeks but I'll be back soon.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ND RAM
If you go to a carb'd intake then you won't need the computer anymore. There are a ton of wires that just flat out become unnecessary if you convert to a carb.

The first thing I'd get rid of is that pesky smog pump.

I'll have to look at it when I get back in the county. It'll be a couple weeks but I'll be back soon.
Do you have any diagrams of what all can be removed? Also is there a smaller belt size once that's done?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z06 DREAMING
Do you have any diagrams of what all can be removed? Also is there a smaller belt size once that's done?
Sorry, no diagram. If you're plannin on goin to headers then that simpliflies the smog delete. The manifolds need to be tapped and plugged if you stick with them.

The belt that runs the smog pump, only runs the smog pump.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you're plannin on goin to headers then that simpliflies the smog delete. The manifolds need to be tapped and plugged if you stick with them.
Sweet thanks!

The belt that runs the smog pump, only runs the smog pump.
yeah, I saw that when I went back outside and started chekin things out.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem. Get some pics up of the old girl. I love the 1st Gen. look.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem. Get some pics up of the old girl. I love the 1st Gen. look.
I'll def post some up. It certainly isn't much to look at now, it needs quite a bit of work. But I've got nothing but time now since I am no longer deploying
Old 02-17-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll def post some up. It certainly isn't much to look at now, it needs quite a bit of work. But I've got nothing but time now since I am no longer deploying
I hear ya. I've got a few of em that didn't start off as much that I've tried to polish up a bit. Deployments ain't good on the trucks though.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does the distributor need to be changed also? I read on one of the Dodge forums that it needs to be changed with a carb swap... is this true?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the distributor need to be changed also? I read on one of the Dodge forums that it needs to be changed with a carb swap... is this true?
Now that I couldn't tell ya. You'll at least need an Electronic Control Module.

Try this site, I haven't looked at it too much but you could probably find out what all you'll need on it. http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/ignition.htm

Just out of curiosity, why are you goin away from the TBI? Other than the ease of work a carb ain't really any better. You could have some cool mods for what it'll take to make the swap. $.02

Quick Reply: 318 TBI to carb swap help