My 11 second "Old" Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My 11 second "Old" Dodge

Whats up guys? I'm new to this site, but I stomp around on the streets of SEMo, usually in the STL area and Farther south, towards Farmington. I run a flat black 86 Pro-something (I usually say pro-street) Dodge Short bed w/ much lightening and lots of custom fab work. It’s a full-tilt front end (Hood, grill, quarters, wiper valance, lower and upper valance, everything in front of the cab) tilts 90* forward for ease of access. It’s a 4-link truck with 12.5 M/T Sportsman Pro's. The radiator is in the back, along with the battery and fuel cell and nitrous bottle.

Well Hell! I've gotta post something just at least to defend the Classic Dodge's on this site. I'm not much, but I've got an old truck that I think runs pretty strong. What do you guys think about 11.86 @ 117? Thats not too bad for the old 4000 pound truck... Shes lightened up to about 3700 pounds, with fuel and my big butt in there she's on the 4015 mark. This is what I've got. Its just my project, and a testing platform for my experiments... {more to come, I promise} ESPECIALLY PICS AND VIDS!

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about the engine because I’m a fanatic, but its a...

450.8 cubic inch 400-stroker engine. It was chosen over the more popular 474-stroker for its reliability and rod ratio. The 451 is a hard-wrapping torquey evil son-of-a-bitch that will run away from any similar built 440 even though there is less than 15 cubes difference. I spared no expense in building my engine, and will continue my tradition all the way through its completion. Enough blab. Let’s talk parts.

Block - 1978 400 Block --> +.030", bored and tapered for nitrous application. Blueprinted webbing, skirt tunnels, lifter valleys and lifter bores, oil passages, bottom deck, reversed cam-tunnel oiling, blueprinted and webered camshaft-tunnel, sonic-checked cylinder walls, deck-plate true-milled upper decks, retapped and chased threads and bottom tapped bolt-holes, custom line bored splayed main-caps with ARP bolts.

Crank - 1972 440 (3.750 stroke) Crankshaft > Reduced counterweights (for weight and clearance purposes), radiused journals, nitrate treated, forged steel, pro-competition balanced (+/- 0.5 gram), polished, knifed, oil holes radiused and ported, micropolished.

Cylinder Heads - 1974 Casting #452 heads, ported by Hank Thilking, .185" inch port on intake side with .125 bowl blends and .0625 port-tapers by Brett Boyer (me), Manley Severe-Duty 1 piece stainless steel valves with 5 angle valve job & radiused stems. Competition Cams .600" valve springs (high-carbon steel) w/ titanium retainers and pro-comp guides. 1.6:1 Stock steel rocking arms w/ stock chrome-moly rocker shaft. Champion Spark plugs gapped for 93 octane fuel.

Connecting Rods - 1978 4-Barrel 400 Connecting Rods, Shotpeened, Resized and radiused for pro-comp bearing. Blueprinted from center to center and for true perpendicularity, also balanced (+/- 0.5 grams).

Connecting Rod Bolts - ARP "Waveloc" bolts.

Rod & Main Bearings - Clevite77 Tri-metal, Calico-coated full-on race bearings.

Pistons - Keith Black (P/N - KB215) Forged Aluminum pistons with domes removed - Yields 10.1:1 Compression Ratio with 88cc head, Thermal Barrier Coating on face of piston, Teflon Coating on skirts.

Wristpins - EN30B .990" full-floating competition wristpins

Piston Rings - Total Seal Gapless 1st, 2nd, and oiler rings (plasma-moly) custom made for this engine for a nitrous application)

Oiling System - Moroso 8 quart pan with drag baffles and drag trapdoor. Moroso 1/2" Drag-sump oil pickup (sump), Mopar Performance High-Volume oil pump with ported reducer, Mopar Performance Hardened Pump Shaft, Radiused oil-holes, flow-sure oil lubricant (sounds redundant, but it works)

Cooling system - CSR Electric Water Pump, Aluminum Radiator out back (for weight distribution) w/ electric fans

Intake tract - 3 valve butterfly breather (to build vacuum, and ****. It just looks fun) with custom blending and porting, 850 Vacuum Secondary, Electric Choke SPEED DEMON Carburetor tuned by Hank Thilking, 1-1/2 inch phenoylic composite spacer, Ported and blending Weiand Team-G Intake (2-1/2 inch low rise single plane design)

Ignition - Davis Unified Ignition, Taylor Wires

Exhaust - NTN 1-7/8 primary, 3 inch collector headers with tuned length collector extension (16 inches)

Camshaft - Mopar Performance .484/.484 108 C-line 284*/284* Duration cam chosen for its use of a stock "hot" Stall Converter.

Nitrous - Dual Stage Cheater, 75/125 - I've never used the second stage. LoL. I'm afraid my connecting rods will scream (I quit!) or at least one of them might. I'd spray the second shot if it were for enough money, but alas I cant keep a secret.

Interior - amongst other things, its got an aluminum trans tunnel, aluminum dash w/ autometer gauges, aluminum shifter stand, aluminum kirkey pro-drag seats, 5 points, Plexiglass Windshield Front & Back FIRE EXTINGUISHER (lol), and pedal relocation (my gas pedal is on the left, because my gas pedal location is now home to the left bank of cylinders). You might imagine, its a little loud!!!

Transmission - 727 TorqueFlite w/ Cheetah Manual Valvebody (full manual) with mopar aluminum deep pan, heavy splined output shaft, 2500 hot factory stall, and scatter-shield (the trans is right by my ***, literally) B&M Shifter Ratchet Shifter (god! Arent ratchet shifters fun as hell?)

Rear-End - Dodge 9-1/4 w/ Strange Axles and Strange LSD, 4.10:1 w/ Aluminum Cover

Suspension - 90/10's out front with stock everything in front, 4 link out back with Adjustables, boxed rear frame, and no bracing (it doesnt need it, gotta love trucks)

Body Modifications - I dont want any stinking body modifications! (No, I'm not at all beating on the body guys, I just am a tightwad, and only spend money on what I can feel in the seat of my pants) FOR FUTURE REFERENCE! KUDOS TO THE GUYS WITH AWESOME PAINT! I'm just too damned tight in the first place, and then I'd kill myself if I scratched a 5k paintjob, plus I like the flat-black look. Actually I cut a huge hole in the firewall for the engine, and some of the floorboard, and the tilt front end... So scratch that. I would like to have a reverse cowl hood for the butterfly breather eventually, since its right underneath my windshield and right behind my dash.

Wheels/Tires - For Street Duty it sets on Aluminum American Racing wheels (no idea as to the model or name, but they have 2" ID holes around the perimeter, about 9 or 8 of them?) they're 15x10 in the back and have 12.5widex29inches tall M/T Sportsman Pros on them, out front I just have your usual run of the mill boring tires, something like 215/55/15s. Not very exciting. Its not meant to corner. thats for sure. For track duty, I'll eventually get myself some wrinkle wall cheaters slicks.

Officially: It pulls the wheels and is good for 11.86 @ 117. Anyone in the STL region want some? Its all in good fun, and I'd just like to make some friends to tell you the truth. I've suprised many a mustang/camaro/corvette with this thing.

www.myspace.com/brettboyer for pics of the engine, but you better be open minded. My display picture is a bit... original.

~Brett A. Boyer

ubermachine@hotmail.com
Old 12-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Finally another old Dodge . What year is it?? And where are the pics???
Old 12-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and
Old 12-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh yeah and btw...

you are gonna be a fun addition the group.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Toe
TECH Regular

Welcome to the site, love those old Dodges.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:45 AM

Some day I might help my Dad do his 51 that's been sitting out here. I think a new hemi swap would be kinda cool. But then I think LS1 swap in anything early GM is cool like my 63 P/U and 73 Camaro.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Nice use of electrical tape. Nice picture of the motor, but that picture of your gut is down right scarey
Old 12-31-2006, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a bad *** truck bro. I have a bud who has a 7000lb truck and runs 11.76 in the 1/4. You guys would be a fun race to watch.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Exclamation

LoL. You've gotta love the electrical tape. The funnier part of that story is the part that you dont know. Yep, thats my engine before it got painted flat black. I need to get some good pictures of the truck. It would appear that someone found my myspace.com site... Hmm... Rock on. Feel free any time to contact me about the rest of the black tape story. lol. Its a good one. Lets see, in that pic of the engine spray wasnt bolted on... neither were any of the accessories. It now says "4-5-1" across the breather butterflys...

What kind of truck weighs 7000lbs and is running 11's? I'm guessing diesel (of course) Rock on... I'd love to see that. Looks like I need to move south a little bit!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got to love the old school Dodges. I've got a 1981 top speed project truck. I probably won't have mine finished till 2016 though.
Attached Thumbnails My 11 second "Old" Dodge-1981-petty-ram-ii.jpg  

Quick Reply: My 11 second "Old" Dodge