Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

4l80e results are in, less than stellar

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

man you 60ft flat out sucks.... I would get some slicks and tune it via a wideband before throwing more parts at it...
Old 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
man you 60ft flat out sucks.... I would get some slicks and tune it via a wideband before throwing more parts at it...
I see someone agrees.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
There is a lot left in it just with a tune, I was just looking over one of the logs and I'm getting 8.1 degrees of burst knock retard off the line. Basically I was getting 2.5 degrees of timing off the line. Also gotta get the AFR and timing optimized. And then I've gotta see about the stock catback, I'm not sure if adding a cutout alone will eliminate it's restriction.

As far as the not being able to get off the line, I have no clue why. Like I said, with the stock 60 and stock stall I was able to get a 2.16 60' by feathering it and no wheel spin. One thing I do recall now is that they weren't spraying VHT on the track and torching it like they were last time. Also, almost every other car there was having traction problems too. 40 degree cold weather is not optimal, especially on street tires.

So, I expect to still see a very good amount of improvement as it sits just by getting rid of the burst KR and optimizing AFR and timing. And then after that worry about the catback exhaust.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I don't understand why you have so much knock problems.. is there a small person in your engine bay hitting the block with a hammer?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dlt76028
I don't understand why you have so much knock problems.. is there a small person in your engine bay hitting the block with a hammer?
Burst knock retard is not knock. It's the PCM pulling timing when there are large changes in air mass such as going from 0-100% TPS in anticipation that it may cause real knock. I have no KR.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Zero that burst knock BS out and see how much better it feels, trust me listen for audible knock. Those sensors hold you back more than anyting some times. You're not going to run any faster than stock tuning intended unless you get away from stock tuning. Splicing tables from different stock tunes won't get you anywhere... You've gotta make changes specific to your setup.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Until you adjust your tune I can't justifiably compare your previous times with your new times. Best of luck!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Zero that burst knock BS out and see how much better it feels, trust me listen for audible knock. Those sensors hold you back more than anyting some times. You're not going to run any faster than stock tuning intended unless you get away from stock tuning. Splicing tables from different stock tunes won't get you anywhere... You've gotta make changes specific to your setup.
Yep, got them zeroed out. I was fortunate I just happen to be logging burst knock just for the hell of it.

See, these are the little tricks that no one talks about, and why tuners make their money. It's the same thing with me chasing my tail on false knock until I realized that the stock 6.0 knock sensitivity is 30% more sensitive than the 4.8/5.3 settings. That just does not jive with a noiser aftermarket valvetrain.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i zeroed out alot of my knock tables cause of the cam and springs.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
There is a lot left in it just with a tune, I was just looking over one of the logs and I'm getting 8.1 degrees of burst knock retard off the line. Basically I was getting 2.5 degrees of timing off the line. Also gotta get the AFR and timing optimized. And then I've gotta see about the stock catback, I'm not sure if adding a cutout alone will eliminate it's restriction.

As far as the not being able to get off the line, I have no clue why. Like I said, with the stock 60 and stock stall I was able to get a 2.16 60' by feathering it and no wheel spin. One thing I do recall now is that they weren't spraying VHT on the track and torching it like they were last time. Also, almost every other car there was having traction problems too. 40 degree cold weather is not optimal, especially on street tires.

So, I expect to still see a very good amount of improvement as it sits just by getting rid of the burst KR and optimizing AFR and timing. And then after that worry about the catback exhaust.
So, you're goin back to the 60E then?...

Originally Posted by dlt76028

Burst knock retard is not knock. It's the PCM pulling timing when there are large changes in air mass such as going from 0-100% TPS in anticipation that it may cause real knock. I have no KR.
I'm green to the tuning, prolly cause I'm on here all the time.

But they're related I'd think. No?

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Makes me think bout an upcoming situation someone will be facing.

Yep, got them zeroed out. I was fortunate I just happen to be logging burst knock...

See, these are the little tricks that no one talks about, and why tuners make their money. It's the same thing with me chasing my tail on false knock until I realized that the stock 6.0 knock sensitivity is 30% more sensitive than the 4.8/5.3 settings. That just does not jive with a noiser aftermarket valvetrain.
Tricks are why they're paid that money, & if I get overwhelmed, I'll call upon a pro like BB or Wheatley. Where'd ya find out bout the 6L being 30% more sensitive than 5.3/4.8 settings?

If I may, why the stock catback? Do u like it quiet?

Quick Reply: 4l80e results are in, less than stellar