Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Anyone else spinning rims in tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else spinning rims in tires?

First time out on the slicks I spun them bad but the rest of the passes I was good. Next trip to the track I was loosing about 2 psi per pass but didn't have anything to mark the tires with. Last weekend I marked them and with a track that wasn't hooking I was spinning about 2" per pass. I decided to screw them which turned into a nightmare last night trying to get them to seal. I'll be ordering some tubes now. Just wondering if anyone else has problems like this. Guys on yb say you don't need screws at my 60ft but the proof is there that they are spinning. I want to get some 1.5x 60ft and thats a lot of stress with a 5000# truck
Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Launching!

In for a solution, im also spinning my slicks on the wheel.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Never noticed a spinning issue.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chris I hadn't at first either but it got my attention when my tires held their pressure fine for over a month. Had them at 15# made a pass and the top end was loose as hell. Come back in pits and ds slick was at 12. fill it up next pass same thing but both tires, did it the whole day 2-3 with the ds loosing more air and spinning more then ps
Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

If you run tubes you'll definitely want to screw your rims. Just make sure you do both inside and outside of the rims.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember this all to well:

solution :

i wouldnt get tubes, what id do is get some silicone, squirt in the drilled holes, then run your self tapping screws in, i did this before i got the bead locks, the silicone helped from slicks leaking down, and dont screw the back side
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I already put 16 per side front and back. I heard do a lot or none because of how the screws affect sidewall reaction. Skeet why you say dont do back? I'd love some beadlocks but $$$$$ I need to do something they just scare me by how fast they leaked even when I sealed the screws. Tubes would also help top end stability. I use all 2000 ft of shutdown because I rather not hit the brakes at 115 kind of loose
Old 03-11-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schino
I already put 16 per side front and back. I heard do a lot or none because of how the screws affect sidewall reaction. Skeet why you say dont do back? I'd love some beadlocks but $$$$$ I need to do something they just scare me by how fast they leaked even when I sealed the screws. Tubes would also help top end stability. I use all 2000 ft of shutdown because I rather not hit the brakes at 115 kind of loose

you answered your own question, thats why theyre are leaking down really quick, theres not enough rim on the back side to the bead you probably missed alot of the tire!!

what wheels did you do this on?

8 is usually sufficient , unless youre making big horsepower like flaco was doing with lilsis and rolling or breaking the screws lol
Old 03-12-2012, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

they are on mb wheels. i forget what model they are but they are like the $100 wheel that has the correct offset 16x8.5 makes sense about the screw missing some but i did put all the holes in with the bead broke so i was making sure i was drilling through the lip not right on the edge. it probably is the case though because they were sealed at 25 psi when i ran the screws in but leaked once lowered.

yeah i dont think ill be breaking screws any day soon haha.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Well already know that I was spinning on my slicks too, let me know how that works out for ya.

Quick Reply: Anyone else spinning rims in tires?